RL

francine

I'm old enough to remember the annual New Year's Day *charity* match vs Wigan...last time it was played it was the Locker Cup before that the Wardonia Cup(Wardonia made razor blades). There wasn't ever anything charitable about the match...it was always a blood and guts affair.....Whoever I worked for I made it plain I wouldn't be turning in for work on that day...It wasn't a public holiday years ago.....One thing which really cheesed me off about last night was the claim made that it was a *moral victory* for Wigan...The first one to say it was one of the commentators on GMR who I heard on the way home...It was said again by the Wigan coach in this morning's newspapers. He must have forgotten the times in recent years when the mighty Wire have battered them even when they had all their *stars* on view...He'll just have to accept that the Wire have got the drop on them.

If every game of RL was half as good as that no game would be meaningless.

But seeing sides getting put to the sword by 60 or 70 points is what makes a lot of the games meaningless especially when there is no promotion or relegation and no major prize for winning the league!

Yes the Wardonia Cup was a whole different ball game so to speak with no quarter asked & none given. As for Wigan's missing players, when they've played us in the past they 've done no more than the lads who played on Monday & for that Shane Warne should be eternally grateful & be looking to Wigan's rosy future instead of bemoaning the fact they lost.

As for promotion & relegation ....how can that be feasible with teams that are not on the same pay structure ? You would need  both divisions either as full time professionals or everyone as part time pros otherwise you could be asking members of a newly promoted team to give up regular employment to become a pro league player  only to be relegated the following season & with nothing to look forward to but the dole queue.