Lymm Historic Boats Sail By Video.

algy

Cracking video Algy and nicely edited too.  Well done :)

You appear to have been stood where we were, well until my other half started whinging about his sore back from standing around waiting so we had to keep moving and ended up on the other side up hill near the car park railings.

I could have pushed you in if we'd actually stayed where I wanted to be although I wouldn't have know it was you as I only remember you having grey hair and a scared face from when we once met ... damn  :lol:  

I recon you must be on some of  the pics/videos I took though thinking about it.  'Spot the Algy' time ? 

Jean, I took the video in Lymm village from the towpath marked with the yellow/red star, the boats were travelling along the Bridgewater canal from an easterly direction. I took around eight seperate clips then joined them with a 'roll' page transition inserted between each clip to try to give a continuous effect, the only problem is that I had been videoing at Liverpool docks prior to arriving here and my battery ran out before the sale past had finished so I'm not sure how many boats I missed, plus I had left my coat in the car and I was very cold.

Lesson one - purchase a spare battery, Lesson two - wear the correct clothing!.

LymmVillage_zps05aec4a5.jpg

Gary, cut and paste the link from the address bar at the top of the You Tube page onto your forum post or reply page, it works 90% of the time unless the video author/uploader has put a block on their video, if they have there is no legal way around this.

....... Lesson two - wear the correct clothing!.

I played 'Where's Algy' on my pics and from the angle of your video's am I correct in thinking that you were wearing grey trousers (maybe with a pocket on the side just above knee height), a grey jumper with a light blue shirt under it, and that you have quite a thick camera strap which you wear on your right wrist. :lol:

Now for a more sensible question.... what software do you use to splice your video's together and also is there any special format they should be saved in once they are done or do they just stay in the same format the camera took them in ?

Think youtube use Flash video format which usually has an flv extension. You can get software that will let you convert from one format to another one i use is a free one called E-Z media converter. it is quite easy to use and quite quick at converting video files. Did have a video splitter/joiner but will not work on windows 7, more is the pity, as it was also a very easy to use bit of software.

Dizz, I use two video editors, Wondershare Video Editor, it costs around $40 or approx £26 it does me fine as I find it not too complicated to use, that is the one I used for the Lymm video, the only problem I have with it, is it results in a huge video file, eg. when I had finished the video sized at HD1920x1080, the Mp4 file was 1.8 Gig and would have taken 6hrs to upload to YouTube, far too long, to reduce the file size down to 428 mb I ran it through a free editing program called Freemake Video Converter it retains the video quality as HD1920x1080 (as the original) without reducing the video picture quality and that took just over an hour to upload to You Tube. Freemake Vid Converter will cut, join and convert videos but does not have all the bells and whistles that Wondershare has it is only a converter and not an editor.

Regarding the format it really depends on what you wish to do with the edited video, there are loads of formats ie. WMV, AVI, MOV, FLV, MP4, HDMP4, and many more all for different uses - mobile phones, Windows, Flash, TV, DVD, etc.

Dizz, dont get me wrong, I dont really understand them all and manage as they say by trial and error over a long period, no doubt some bright spark will come along and tell me I'm doing it all wrong!. but do you know what, I don't care. :D:wink:

As Sid posted you can upload them to You Tube in almost any format and it will sort it out to FLV Flash but it will not improve the video quality from what you originally videod it in.

Thanks Evils and Algy.  I managed to do a quick shove together of my wobbly videos using photoshop and converted it like Evils mentioned ealier (your post wasn't there when I went off playing Algy).  Mine seems to have an extension F4V but it seemed to work and uploaded to YT ok.  Cheers both x

Smashing video Dizz and absolutely nothing wrong with the way you put that together, and yes I am that 'old codger' in grey on the opposite bank!. The narrowboat with the dark blue unnamed cabin was Rudd ex. British Waterways Boat. Just thought I would mention!. giving-thumbs-up-winking-smiley-emoticon