How far back for compen claims?

YAWN - I've told you, the decision to retreat from Empire was already made, negotiations were in progress with the various elites in each country for a rational transfer powers; obviously not quick enough for some groups who adopted terrorism to force the pace. It didn't work militarily in Malaya, Cyprus, Yemen or Kenya; where terrorists were defeated prior to a civilised political transfer. I don't recall any general strikes or mass demonstrations by your imagined "majority" - perhaps they were content to see the changes through non-violent means?!

It was Asp, the election was before the British left, I don't think their was a pro colonial candidate, one has to wonder why, If Obs is right he could have won, and the UK might have changed its mind.What do you think Asp, do you think most Kenyans wanted independence, or  do you think most want to stay as a colonial outpost?????

Of course they wanted independence, and that was why they had an election, to elect a president. As I said, it wasn't a referendum on whether they wanted independence or not. I'm curious as to why you would think otherwise, given that Britain was forced by international, especially US, opinion to relinquish hold on the colonies.

Kije.... if you are so ashamed and insulted by the former British Empire and resent everything this country seemed to have done as leader of that Empire...... Why are you so for the European Empire that Brussels is trying to create?

I mean the Euro Empire has already started falling apart; countries are bankrupt, the people are burning EU flags in Athens and Spain, unemployment in some countries is at 25% or more for some sections of the population and still the EU leaders are trying to screw every penny they can from the "well off" members like us and Germany....(similar if you like to the exploitation of the British Empire countries that you try to make us believe)

you say that the majority wanted an end to British rule and you agree and support the fact that they got their wish......

51% of people polled here want out of the EU.... the similarities are extraordinary!!

The Mau Mau rising was put down 5 years before Independence so, although it may have influenced the decision to grant Independence, I don't think you could say it was the diect reason for it, given that all the former British colonies were being given their Independence around the same time.