So where's the justice in that?

Bazj

well save the bloody thing then...... what on earth are the council doing with all this extra council tax from the likes of Chapelford?

Providing services to Chapelford....  unless you think saving a not very nice tower is more important than providing a school in Chapelford. And another (annual) £10m of cuts on the way. Personally I'd oppose spending a million pounds of anybody's money to save the tower. That's not the view of my fellow councillors, or senior officers who are always open to a way to save not just the tower but the whole works.

• Upvote 1

SO? Still was an important party of Warrington

Let use take a different approch, please tell use why exactly the council and its councilers thought the school was not worth preserving?

The grammar school? A bit of googling - anyone can do it - and "The building is in extremely poor condition and any preservation would require 75 per cent of it to be rebuilt. It is structurally unsuitable." "The best access to the development would mean that the building would have to be demolished."

"Approaches had been made to the Department of Heritage to secure listed status for the building. But Whitehall officials felt, while of local interest, the structure didn't merit (statutory) protection. As it stands, the building is in poor condition and would need to be largely rebuilt to be brought back into use"

No doubt that's only a part of the story but that's the gist. Whether we'd strive more strenuously to save an old, unlisted building now, I'm not sure. Oh wait, yes I am, the committee voted to refuse demolition of the Garnett tower!

• Upvote 1

Steve, I honestly don't think anyone is blaming this council (Baz perhaps) or the previous recent councils for what has gone in the past, from my point of view I would like to see the present and future council take more care of what remains in the way of buildings of historic value, what has gone cannot be recovered. The 'spoof' dubbed Hitler video(I know he's not the ideal role model) is to try and get the message over in a lighthearted way also one or two members appear to enjoy them anyway.

Providing services to Chapelford....  unless you think saving a not very nice tower is more important than providing a school in Chapelford. And another (annual) £10m of cuts on the way.

You provided a school to Chapelford and then knocked one down in Sycamore Lane.... net gain of places =0 and kids from Chapelford can't get into a school 200 yards from their house....that is what I was told...is that correct or not? £10m cuts; but what is the projected additional council tax revenue gained from all the new properties in the town during the same period? If you are cutting bin collections, not repairing roads etc. the figure can't be any where near £10m

Personally I'd oppose spending a million pounds of anybody's money to save the tower. That's not the view of my fellow councillors, or senior officers who are always open to a way to save not just the tower but the whole works.

Why has the Town Hall never been ear-marked for a sell off? It is the most un-friendly building when it comes to office space in the entire town. It had millions spent on it a few years back in a bottom up modernisation and would make a really good hotel; town centre location and all that.... at the end of the day, the town hall was just someone's house, whereas the Cabinet works was a building that formed part of the towns industrial past...

And I'm not just blaming this council; successive councils have ben as bad if not worse but as Algy says; it is about time we stopped and had a serious look at what we could save.

I am actually quite pleased over one thing.... daft as it may seem, it is good that the old Fiat factory on Winwick Road looks to have been given a new lease of life and is being converted into shops. Now I know it flies in the face of the Councils policy about siting retail premises etc. but lets face it, that policy is a joke and has been largely ignored for years... but it is good that something has been rescued and shows things can be reused instead of knocked down

I really do not think the council would be so forgiving if it is the other way round, forget to pay an instalment of council tax, get booked by the wardens and there is no forgiveness!!! Make a mistake on planning and it can be very costly, the council have ordered buildings to be demolished, Does not make a difference if ownership changes. I guess rightly só.

I tried the other night to find out how many of todays Councillors were Councillors at the time the grammar school was pulled down?

However it is people who were responsible Some will still be in office and in jobs who were responsible for the neglect, consent for sale, planning and which resulted in the demolition of the school. Why should they be forgiven?

Steve, who was responsible for the school getting into such a state?

I am sad the school was demolished but the way it happened, in some secret back room deal with developers is wrong. What alternatives were explored?

It that what is going to happen to the technical collage too?