Photos from Northants Trip, Sun. 3rd June.

algy

Although the title indicates our trip to Northants the following pictures were taken while touring the area and the ones at the National Memorial Arboretum on our journey home.

A small village we were passing through in Northamptonshire, as usual I have forgotten the name!.

P1000364_zpsb524cc51.jpg

Lock Cottage, Water Newton, on the River Nene, Cambridgeshire.

P1000374_zpsb9b84923.jpg

P1000373_zps6ca8b0e0.jpg

The National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffs.

We spent two and a half hours visiting and could easily have spent another two and doubt that we would have covered the whole site. An very emotional experience but one that we would not have missed and would thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone, it brought home the enormity of the loss of life of our service men and women that has taken place since 1945, and still ongoing.

P1000392_zps139a25b3.jpg

P1000403_zps15221dce.jpg

P1000404_zpsef83d667.jpg

P1000394_zpscba8f74e.jpg

P1000409_zps625718cd.jpg

P1000417_zpsd0699fe1.jpg

Rooftops in Stamford, Lincs.

P1000379_zps80c3b0cd.jpg

Algy - you do realise what most people think of other people's holiday snaps, don't you?

When's he going home?

Don't invite him again.

Don't mention his holiday snaps.

my mate paddy just showed me his holiday photos.........

32 close ups of his right eye.

• Upvote 1

Holiday snaps are an alcoholic beverage enjoyed by Danes or Swedes when on vacation. :D

Horace if you are still around. 63 people have been bored  (I presume that's what you intimated) by the photos in 4 hours so far. :wink:

Thanks Asp, we had a great few days, weather brilliant, lovely scenery and thatched cottages in the villages, I don't post the pictures for credits just attempting to share a pleasant experience, let's face it if folk don't wish to see them then that's up to them, "no skin of my nose" as they say.

I've heard of the National Memorial Arboretum of course but I'm ashamed to say I had never really looked any further to find out more about it all.  How come like Baz it doesn't cover WW1 casualties too though ?

Your pictures are lovely Algy, especially the two with the black statues which I found very moving and I've now been on their website too to read more about it all. 

Re the lock cottage... does someone live in it or is it a heritage place?  It must be a cracking setting to have a bbq and a few beers on a summers night with friends if it is someone's home.

PS Horace if you are reading. 

I can only speak for myself..... but the only place I ever get to (if I get anywhere at all) is wet Wales and so I like seeing pics on here of other places in the country which I've never been to and probably wont ever get to go to....which seem nicer, more interesting and definitely sunnier :wink:

Glad you have enjoyed the photos all of you that have replied (even Horrible Horace, :wink: ).

Dizz, Lock Cottage is presently for sale at £310K. very tempting but Mrs algy says it is too far from the family, Damn!, fishing and boating outside the front door too!, although I think the water gushing under the house would keep you awake.

The Arboretum contains over 50,000 trees, with more being added each year.

There are over 250 memorials and plots for the armed forces, civilian organisations and voluntary bodies who have played a part in serving the country; A number of corporate war memorials – from British banks, building societies, and insurance companies – have been relocated to the grounds, when the original owners became unable or unwilling to care for them. At the heart of the Arboretum is the Armed Forces Memorial, which is a tribute to over 16,000 service personnel who have lost their lives in conflict or as a result of terrorism since the end of the Second World War. At 11 am on 11 November each year the sun shines through two slits in the outer and inner walls of the memorial, casting a shaft of light across a wreath in the centre.

One wall is completley blank ready for future casualties to be added.

I believe that the entire project was funded entirely by The British Legion, a Lottery Fund grant, public voluntary contribution.

The government of the day would not meet any cost whatsoever and refused to become involved.

ScreenShot001_zpsf69411d7.jpg

map_zps9b1e7c5a.jpg

Algy

My comment was not intended to be a reflection on your photographic skills. The pictures are excellent.

I merely question whether this is the place to display them.

Anyway, my comment has undoubtedly boosted your response rate!

Horace, your initial comment did not matter to me one way or the other, I do appreciate you are a member of long standing, although I must admit I have not noticed you posting or replying recently so you may not have noticed that other than a section for Photos of Warrington the General section is the only section where photos other than those of Warrington may be displayed, and as this is a forum am I correct in assuming that almost any respectable topic may be posted, that is why I posted photos of the National Memorial Arboretum with a couple of others thrown in for general interest. My point is, I displayed a title stating that the topic contained photographs taken while on my visit to Northamptonshire which I assume caught your attention, so if you were not interested WHY THE BLOODY HELL DID YOU LOOK AT THEM!!!.

Finally I thank you for your comment regarding my photographic skills I shall treasure those few words for the rest of my days, although with the excellent camera technology available today even a monkey could take good photographs so I'm sure a gentleman of your intelligence would be able to manage to takea few acceptable snapshots.

...............with the excellent camera technology available today even a monkey could take good photographs

I beg to differ there Algy as I've just looked at all the ones I took yesterday of the swans and lovely fluffy sygnets at Ackers (and all the others of various things over the past few weeks too)  and they are all pretty naff to say the least :cry:

At least that means I'm not a monkey though I suppose :|   :lol:

I beg to differ there Algy as I've just looked at all the ones I took yesterday of the swans and lovely fluffy sygnets at Ackers (and all the others of various things over the past few weeks too)  and they are all pretty naff to say the least :cry:

At least that means I'm not a monkey though I suppose :|   :lol:

Dizz, post em'up and let's take a gander (Oops! sorry they're swans not geese) :D:wink: . Pity PJ's not around he's our piccie' expert, seems to have got fed up as he's not been on lately, or perhaps I have just missed his posts/replies. :unsure:

Dizz and Sadako, I'm sure you both have photo editing software use it!, improve a lacklustre shot into an acceptable one, it's not cheating just improving the image. Both examples are mine, the first is untouched the second has been edited to death purely as an example.

The original contains two cars, electric lamp posts, for sale sign, power box (above the 'for sale sign'), rubbish bin behind the sign post, TV masts and road markings, all these have been removed with the 'repair' setting, coulor has been boosted using 'advanced colour setting, how far you go is up to you!.

P1000365_zps527ee536.jpg

Edited photo.

P1000365-Copy_zps5295fb81.jpg

• Downvote 1