Fuel prices in Warrington

Gary

I was quite shocked to see some of the varying fuel prices in Warrington.

Diesel prices at the filing station on Crosfield Street £148.9

A couple of miles down the road at Lane Ends, Penketh £136.9

A difference of 12p a litre!!!!

I tend to avoid the supermarkets because I am told they use inferior fuel which ends up costing you more in the long run.

Just wondering what price variations other readers had noticed - or do you just fill up without looking?

If prices vary by as much as 12p a litre I suggest you start taking notice - as motoring costs are expensive enough!

According to the Petrol Retailers Association, there is no difference between the standard petrol you buy from supermarkets or franchised petrol stations. In most cases the petrol and diesel is even produced at the same refinery and delivered in the same trucks.

I believe Sainsbury's petrol is supplied by BP.

Petrol prices link here. http://www.petrolprices.com/search.html?search=Warrington%2C+Cheshire

I believe it's purely down to fuel capacity and the pump vs sales. If you take tesco for example, on the a49. Top tesco often has higher prices than bottom tesco. Top tesco is quieter than bottom tesco. Each one has bought in fuel at the same price. Bottom tesco runs out first and buys more fuel at a cheaper rate. Top tesco is still selling its expensive fuel from last week because its quieter.

It is nothing to do with any of that.... it is due to the fact that petrol companies operate like drugs cartels. They are all crooks and thieves and have been price fixing for decades.... unfortunately they pay so much tax and probably line so many back pockets of politicians and the like around the world they will continue to get away with it

plus, we the buying public will carry on buying it regardless of price because we have to.... the same logic applies to smokers when they put up fag prices or drinkers when the beer prices go up.... they still smoke and drink; maybe cheaper brands or not quite as much as before; but because of the price hikes the companies never lose revenue even if the buying public cut down a bit

• Upvote 1

Try PetrolPrices.com

You can get weekly updates via e-mail of cheapest prices in the area.

That is the link Wolfie has put but I dont want to register with something which will then start spamming my email - I get enough of that! :roll:

May be someone could share the cheapest prices on here?

I tend to avoid the supermarkets because I am told they use inferior fuel which ends up costing you more in the long run.

Who told you that and why exactly ?  Our two cars have virtually always used supermarket fuel since the day we got them and it's never done ours any harm.  One is a 1999 plate the other a 1998 with over 120k miles on it. 

Should I start worrying.. nahhh :)

As for local fuel prices well I'm rather ashamed to say that I have no idea of the actual pence per litre I usually pay... I just put it in, use it and then put some more in :oops:

I know the local supermarket(s) is/are cheaper than the other one I pass on Chester Road so if I have to go to CR one (due to the annoying road closures around here again) I only usually put £10 until I can go to another.

If I'm out and about tomorrow I'll take a pen and note down any petrol/diesel prices I spot (and I'm sure others will do the same) seeing as you are too lazy to do your own local travel and research Gary :lol:  :P

Fuels (motor spirit and diesel) are manufactured to strict specifications. Some suppliers (e.g. Shell) claim their additives make their fuels cleaner/more efficient, however this doesn't mean that supermarket fuels are liable to damage your engine.

Gary, why would you get spam. Use your home address. I have been receiving the info for a few years now.

There is often a chance that any website which offers "free advice" and collects data passes that information on to a third party.

Just create yourself a dummy email address and register with that if you are worried.  You can just zap it if you start to get loads of spam :wink:

Saying that if Peter is already registered with them he can just pass on all the info to us :) 

There is often a chance that any website which offers "free advice" and collects data passes that information on to a third party.

Companies are doing it all the time. DVLA being an example. Anyway, The info won't be much use to you as you won't use supermarket fuel.

Dizzy, you can't beat cheek when it is well done. :lol:

Companies are doing it all the time. DVLA being an example. Anyway, The info won't be much use to you as you won't use supermarket fuel.

Dizzy, you can't beat cheek when it is well done. :lol:

It would be useful to know the cheapest independent - although I suspect it may be Lane Ends - unless someone on here knows different?

When i work at Stanlow, I see BP, Shell,Total, and all the Supermarket lorries filling their to take it to the petrol stations, And it was the same when Shell ran it, they all got their fuel from their, If you go to Scotland, Grangemouth refinary sells fuel to all the suppliers, and that was owned by BP. 

It would be useful to know the cheapest independent - although I suspect it may be Lane Ends - unless someone on here knows different?

Isn't that like free  advertising Gary  :lol:  :P

CR was exactly 1p a litre more that LE yesterday for diesel when I looked.  Unleaded was at CR was 134.9 

I've lost my bit of paper for Morries which I passed today but they were (and are always are) definitely cheaper than CR so 'more than likely'  cheaper than LE too.

Of course you would also have to take into account the time/miles/amount of fuel you would use to drive to whichever petrol station.  LE is quite a way for me and not a place I ever pass so it would be cost prohibitive for me to drive there just to get it a bit cheaper (which it isn't compared with ones round here... which you probably pass too :wink: )

Now that should be confusing enough to keep you sat at your desk and out of your car for a bit  :lol:  

I took this photo of a page in my dads "Motorist Diary 1973"..... It shows that on the 29th August 1974 he filled up his Corsair with 10 gallons of 4 star for the princely sum of £5.40. Dad used to document the mileage and cost to fill up whenever we went anywhere (trip to see sister at Uni in Cardiff or trip to Blackpool etc)

Dads 1700 V4 Corsair used to average about 20-23 miles to the gallon (about what my Corsair does!) but oh for such cheap prices now... 54p a gallon is what....12p a litre?

On the 25th July 1980 he filled up his car with 8 gallons for £7.80 so fuel had risen to a whacking 97p a gallon!... and for reference, that trip was to Newquay in Cornwall and cost a total of £24.90 to get there in fuel (and that was a 3.0 MK1 Granada towing a caravan!!)