The Girl in the Cafe - G 8, romantic politics

Jerry

I missed the first 12 minutes where Bill Nighy meets the girl, and I was distracted by parental duties a couple of times, but I will see this one again to fill in all the delightful, well acted, well directed, super written film. Of course it is a fictitious G 8 at Iceland...

It's on our pay cable here, Home Box Office, and it'll be shown again and again.

I only discovered Bill Nighy a year ago as a maniacal bloodless vampire in Underground, as a bloodless Lord in The Lost Prince, and as Rod Stewart in Love Actually. The Director was the same as Love Actually and Notting Hill, and Four Weddings -- maybe he writes them as well.

Nice one culture at last hey Duke :D , seriously the BBC is producing some fantastic stuff, watch out for The Picture of Britain Art, Music, Poetry, Scenery and so much more. :D

But getting back to the G8 the African theme is really gathering momentum no and the Brits are really leading the way. The TV programme really picked up with the way the G7 were dragging their heals in our wake, but with Bono and Bob also at the helm Europe at least is starting to wake up and smell the coffee, lets hope the Ms Rice twists Bush babies arm so far up hi back that he follows suit. Just in case he doesn't Tony'e sending his son to help out at the senate. :D

Look after him for us. :wink:

[ 26.06.2005, 15:01: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

I hate to say this, but was enjoying it until the political message got rammed down my throat. About as subtle as a brick through the telly and ruined what was turning about to be a great rom-com.

And didnt the lead actress have the greatest scottish accent ever.

Yes I think it would have been more realistic, if the G8 had have taken no notice of the girl, Bill Nighy had been sent home to become a Liberal Democrat and the girl had committed suicide at being left to pay the hotel bill.

Apart from that it was'nt bad.

So that was a scottish accent? It kind of grated on me -- didn't care for it - thought it might be irish.

Geoff: there was a story in the Times today about Euan Blair coming to Washington D.C. to intern (unpaid work) with the Congress. It said Repulican Congressman David Dreier was to be his mentor. Dreier is the representative of my family home in Claremont, California - and his district was part of Richard Nixon's old district. Dreier is a soft-spoken conservative who doesn't go in for vicious attack words but is still threatening the Republic with his votes to rewrite our traditons and constitution. He's mentioned as the Republican's best possible next candidate for the Senate from California. Dreier is chair of the House Rules Committee. Recently the Republicans have had to abandon having an ETHICS committee because their leadership is embroiled in glaring scandals such as bribes -- at least $700,000 to the San Diego Republican congressman, Cunningham, on the Defense Committee from Defense contractors. Small change, compared to the billions of dollars Halliburton is taking directly from **** Cheney.

[ 29.06.2005, 03:28: Message edited by: Duc L'Orange ]

Saw it a second time on TV - the last part and the ()&*)*&%^&$&^%#^&^))__@! telephone rang and I didn't catch the ending -- Bill has called the girl and said, "turn on the telly" - and that was all. I assume that it left us all hanging, though, without telling us what the 8 fictional leaders decided or didn't decide. Probably ended with HOPE and suggestion to activists. It never tells us why she was in jail, or if she was an activist 'plant' - although she said, "hey, you came and sat down by me" -- I still haven't seen that scene either. Come to think of it -- there were ladies in that discussion room -- members of the Big 8? I think not. Probably staff assistants.