Lymm Historic Transport Day - June 23

Bazj

well the weather stayed dry (was a bit worried about getting the car off a flooded field but no rain!!) Good to meet Ian and Dizzy (again) Managed a wave of Gary as we drove by the posh people and I even managed a visit from Mr Rod King himself who came across and said hello.....I'm thinking of getting a royal crest on the car now.... although he didn't have his bike with him and he was looking a bit flushed when he saw the gas guzzling Ferrari and Corvette Stingray the stuck me in between!!!

It was good to finally meet him though and a nice guy; despite his weird ideas!!! :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Even Wolfie made an appearance.....egai3l.jpg

What a brilliant weekend.  We've been to Lymm more times since Friday than we have in the past 3 years.

Gary...  that pirate pulled his gun on me yesterday too for taking his pic (err yes I was a bit scared as my other half said maybe he wasn't in fancy dress and that's how the boat people of Lymm always dress so perhaps I should put my camera away ) :lol:  

Baz, it was nice seeing you (AGAIN) too.....  First time I've met Sooty and Sweep though although it was a bit sad to see the REAL and aged Sooty impaled on your wiper/indicator stalk while his imposter sat comfortably in the windscreen with Sweep .   There must be a number I can ring about that :P

Ok so I am a girlie and it can't be helped :lol:  

A gear lever is even worse though... the poor little thing !!

PS I just noticed on my pics that your displayed tax disc expired almost 37 years ago.  (July 1976 to be precise).  Did you drive there and back tut tut   :lol:  :wink:

I did... but I have a current one that is free.... I just don't display it at shows as the 1976 one gets more comments.... plus that was the last time it had a paid for tax disk.. (they are free now as it was registered before 1972) and that was £14.76 for 4 months!

Photos taken at the Lymm Historic Transport (Boat section). I dashed back from Liverpool for 4pm to take the majority of these, forgot my jacket and was frozen by the time it finished. Video to come when I've had time to edit it.

Apologies to Baz, sorry I didn't get time to come and see your smashing Corsair it looks great in the photo though.

Motors 'Sweden' & 'Buckden' (Sweden' by the bank).

P1000479_zps7e9b64ee.jpg

P1000478_zpsc85a2b27.jpg

P1000477_zpsf0474b1f.jpg

P1000476_zpsebeccbea.jpg

Butty 'Gifford'.

P1000475_zpsd438f50b.jpg

Butty 'Saturn'

P1000474_zps6b41089e.jpg

The Ex Cadbury's boat 'Mendip'.

P1000473_zpsdf02a32b.jpg

P1000468_zps9bf2975f.jpg

P1000467_zps1a17f9c2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great photos Algy. 

The narrow boat Mendip was owned and run by "Chocolate" Charlie Atkins, known by that name because he was often on the Cadbury's Bourneville run, although folk say he worked extensively on the canal network carrying a variety of loads over the years.

CharlieAtkinsonMendipc1976_zps9cb095a4.j

I photographed him in 1975, almost at the end of the era of commercial traffic using the canals, and he was struggling to find any work for his boat. Sadly in 1981 he died. He was a well known personality on the canals in those days, he had been featured on television, and a song was also written about him (using one of my copyright photographs to advertise it, without acknowledgement - typical) The Ellesmere Port Boat Museum had offered him a mooring for his boat to enable him to live there, but due to his failing health, he never made it. After his death Mendip was donated to the museum by his family, where it's been fully restored, and it's nice to see it back on the cut.  

• Upvote 1

Nice pics Algy, Did you see the two enormous barges ?  When they were doing the drive past about 4.30pm  everyone was convinced there was about to be a crash as not only did they have to manoeuvre under the bridge and through the parked boats but there was one going the opposite way towards them too.   The woman stood next to my other half was in a right panic :lol:  

I'll upload some pics of the boats and cars later if I've got any half decent ones.

Sorry MiddleC yours wasn't there when I was replying to Algy.

That is a fantastic photo and certainly tells a story, you can see the years of hard work etched in his face.  

We were sat on board the Mendip yesterday in the little cabin/living quarters where he and his family would have lived.  Gosh it was cramped.

There was a photo and we asked who it was.  The lady told us it  'Chocolate Charlie' and a bit about his life including how he used to give chocolate crumb to all the kids.  They loved him for that :)    

She also mentioned that his family lived on the boat with him but sadly his wife died when their daughter was very young (still a baby I think) and so he had no choice but to give his daughter to a 'land' family for them to bring her up.  Apparently her daughter (his granddaughter) turned up quite by surprise at the museum after his boat had been restored and had been in the news and it was quite an emotional but lovely meeting for both her and the boat museum people.