Lymm Historic Transport Day - June 23

Bazj

• 4 weeks later...

Hadn't seen this until PJ posted as it wasn't flagged for me as a new until then.  :oops:

Sounds good and where are all the different things happening and what time ?  (yes I know that's probably a stupid question as it says 'Lymm' but just wondered as it has an entry fee and can't be all at the same place).

Where's the best place to park ?

Thanks Inky... can you just confirm in writing that if I do take you up on your very kind offer you wont spray paint obscenities on my car or pimp my bodywork in any other way as pay back for anything I may have said on here in the past that could have upset or angered you :lol:  

I've never heard of the May Queen field is it anywhere near the village centre ?   

Diz, you're one of a select group on here whose car (or bike) wouldn't get redecorated if I got half a chance!

The May Queen field is just up Pepper St from the village centre, check out the map on the Lymm Historic Transport Day website (or just follow everyone else from the village centre).

Cheers Inky.   :D  Will I have receive a little badge and certificate to confirm my membership of your select group :wink:

Sunday's going to be a busy day and I hope I can get to the Transport Show too for a bit if only to see Baz in his glad rags :lol:

Why is it that so often good events all seem to fall on the same weekend/day rather than event organisers talking to each other and spreading them out over a few weekends.  

Inky what was going on in Lymm village centre tonight (Thurs) near the stocks?  The road through from where you turn down the top road was closed when I was taking my son through there at about 7pm tonight to the barbers (a bloody 12 mile round trip for a hair cut but needs must !)

The little diversion took us down the other road towards the stocks to go over the little humped bridge and out of Lymm for the snip and there were people everywhere, kids with balloons, people with pints and it looked like fun.

Just being nosey ......

We were in Lymm this afternoon and parked up by the library, there are quite a number of historic working boats already moored on the canal with more to come tomorrow, there will be a sail past of all the old historic boats at about 1600hrs on Sunday, Mrs algy and myself shall definitely be there. I posted a video of the little narrowboat 'Owl' on Youtube last week and she is already moored up there.

10/06/12
Narrowboat "OWL" on her first visit to the River Weaver near Acton Bridge. Owl is now owned by Ray Butler, she had been built by Ron Turner early 1970's for Michael John 'Jack' Taylor (my uncle) of Moore, Cheshire, as a 45ft working boat and was used on contract to clear flotsam from the canal for what was the Bridgewater Canal Company. The boat is unique in that it has a canoe hull with only 12ft of flat side amidship of her total 45ft length and creates hardly any turbulence in her swim. Ray has tastefully restored her and she has a cabin extension with brass port holes to replace the out of character rectangular ones that she once carried.

I noticed a few brightly coloured narrow boats moored up with tables on the banks as I went over the bridge tonight Algy.  Guess they must be there  for the weekend event.  They looked really nice.

Speaking of narrow boats (and  not wanting to take the topic off track) but I was surprised to see a small one going down the Manchester Ship Canal a couple of weeks ago (or was it last week I can't remember).   Was it your narrow boat I wonder as it looked similar as the chap on the back was wearing a hat like the one in your video;)

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera to hand and it was sailing right behind the huge and annoying Costal Deniz in it's wake (the wavey bit) and I thought to myself 'surely that's not a good idea'..   I have nicknamed Costal D as the 'window rattling droaning dog freeker-outer'er'  as it's huge and quite noisy especially when it passes later on at night.   

I like seeing boats though so am not really complaining... honest :) 

Last night was the Food Festival, Diz.

All the different restaurants and food shops set up tables in the road and let people sample their wares. It used to be that they all just gave away small samples, but now most of them charge a quid or two.

There'll also probably have been a food market on in the village hall with stalls full of speciality foods.

It always gets absolutely heaving in the village for the Food Festival.

Aww that's nice Baz although Sooty looks a bit cross and sweep looks scared to death.  What on earth have you don't to them or are they worried about meeting the man with the big hands again :lol:

We saw Matthew Corbett today (Fri) as we passed through and stopped again on the way to the snip shop.   He was weeding his plant pots dressed in white with a large white brimmed hat as we walked past his house admiring all the narrow boats that are moored up.  I guess there was no need for me to mention what he was wearing actually. 

We now have to go again tomorrow as my other half recognised some of the old narrow boats from the TV programme he's addicted to and he got all excited (waterworld or something boring like that) as the chap said people can go on them tomorrow.   It's his birthday tomorrow so I guess I'd better take him back  (saying that they were rather good and I'm rather looking forward to it but don't tell him :wink:

Looking forward to seeing all the classic cars etc and of course your scared teddies too on Sunday Baz.  

Hope the Sun shines :)

I shall be there in my disguise in my long  brown raincoat wearing a trilby pulled down over my sun glasses taking photos and videos, so be on your best behaviour!.

Pity forum members who are going aren't wearing something to identify each other like a 'kiss me quick baseball cap' although on second thoughts if Rocky turns up he's liable to take it literally, so forget doing that!. :oops:

Pity forum members who are going aren't wearing something to identify each other like a 'kiss me quick baseball cap'

ermmm I'll be the one with the blue Corsair and Sooty and Sweep on the back shelf!!!.... unless there are a few of course!

There could only ever be one of you Baz :lol:  :P

Algy....... I'll be there (if I can walk after jumping off a narrow boat step today and something in my already sore calf went 'rip')  OUCH am I really that old ?

I will be wearing jeans (not sure what colour but they will be jeans), probably a t'shirt, maybe covered with a jumper or cardie depending on the weather and will be with a man (my other half) and I'll also have a camera.

There you go... your very own  "Where's Wally" game for tomorrow :lol:  

:lol:  :lol: Ahh but is it a gazebo sides ?... That makes a big difference you know when it comes to the posh factor.

Thinking about it though a gazebo with sides is pretty much the same as a tent..... ooh dilemma for you now.....sides or no sides :lol: