British child dies in a pool at a hotel in Egypt

wolfie

Tragic news of a little girl who drowned in a pool in a hotel in Egypt.

Seems that the Grandmother is blaming the accident / death on the lack of life guards.

Is it normal to have life guards at hotel pools? Most hotels I've been to both in the UK and abroad haven't had life guards. :unsure:

Not clear yet as to where the parent (s) were at the time of the accident.

Putting the blame on anyone else but themselves. They were negligent in taking good care and watching their child. Leave it upto someone else to take care of them. It seems to be a uk culture, expecting others to take care of your children while you do whatever you want to do uninterrupted.

The hotel we stayed in at Sharm el Sheikh had one of those water parks but it had life guards too which is a must really. Cleo is right though, I would never have dreamt of letting my 5 year old out of my sight at such a place...

Wolfie is also right; many hotels in the UK do not have lifeguards; but most if not all do not have these sort of facilities (it was a waterpark not just a pool) Alton Towers water resort has many lifeguards on hand so maybe some thought needs to be given to staffing on a resort like this. Some of these slides and rides can be very fast and disorientating and can take your breath away if you are not careful and plunging into a deep pool at the end could be very dangerous....

A tragic accident but I guess the family are just looking for someone to blame other than themselves

It should be when you have children. Heaven knows they are always getting into some scrape or other. But in this case it would not have made any diffettenderence even if the father was/is adept at first aid because the fool left the child unattended while he went to tend his need for a drink.

Seems that the Grandmother is blaming the accident / death on the lack of life guards.

Is it normal to have life guards at hotel pools? Most hotels I've been to both in the UK and abroad haven't had life guards. :unsure:

Having worked for a large hotel chain with large leisure facilities, we never had any life guard around the pool, the health club attendant had a walk round the pool area from time to time and there were CCTV cameras around the pool but no one dedicated to monitering them.

As has been said, the child should have been under parental supervision at all times.