Contact with Warrington, Bucks County, PA.

algy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Algy / RC......

maybe they thought you were both  a pair of Wazza  stalkers and weirdos :lol:  I'M JOKING  !!!

To be honest I'm sort of not surprised you got no replies as to be perfectly honest their website and their 'Historical Society' did seem to be a bit lacking in information and somewhat sparse when it came to members etc when I looked when it was initially mentioned on here.... but I didn't like to say anything as it seemed a tad  rude to both you and of course them.

I had a response to a facebook post I made, think I posted this on RC's thread: "We do not have record of a direct link, but this area was settled primarily by Quakers and I believe that there is a Quaker religious group in Warrington England. William Penn promoted freedom of religion for the English Quakers in his Pennsylvania land grant and so many traveled here to resettle and prosper. The Quakers were very active in the "underground railroad" in our area. This network of concerned citizens assisted many escaped slaves from the south on their journey north by hiding and feeding them while they made the connection for the next leg of their difficult journey - many ended up in Canada."

The 'I believe there is a Quaker religious group in Warrington England' comment makes me think they don't know a great deal about our Warrington and haven't really researched the link. I find it frustrating because I'd still love to get some of the names of early American Warrington citizens so we could have a rummage and see if they came from here originally. 

I did notice that before I posted on their FB page, one of their own members had linked to the thread I started on here about the Resurrectionists at Hill Cliffe. Seems odd that they knew about this forum already and have had 3 of us contact them but still seem to be steadfastly disinterested in communicating with us. 

Trace, After sending an email to their web address offering to send information re our Warrington I received a polite response from a lady member of their history society who said they would be pleased to receive photos of 'Old Warrington' I then proceeded to send the first batch of about twenty photos including a map and details of each photo along with deatails of our town and the layout of streets, I  did receive an initial thank you email, I then sent a further two batches resulting in no replies even after mailing her asking if they had received them and should I  continue. I can only assume that perhaps their history group are not interested and have suggested she ceases contact. Perhaps they are engrossed with their own towns history and not inclined to become involved with ours plus they have access on the internet to the same information that we have and may have already downloaded photos that I have posted in the past, another factor may be that they have seen all the infighting and bitching that goes on in our forum and are reluctant to make contact with us, let's face it we don't exactly set the best example to our American cousins do we!.

If that's the case Algy, they must lead sheltered lives! I don't think WW is any better or worse than any other internet forum. Being online is a bit like driving a car, many people feel 'removed' enough from the rest of the human race to happily shout obscenities and make rude gestures through the glass!

Tracey from what I have seen they do lead sheltered lives and appear to be very religeously inclined, as you say we are possibly not too different a forum than others however ours may not be to their liking, I may be wrong but hey!, just lately that seems to be the norm for me, home and away!. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Our American cousins may be correct in their religeous beliefs about Warrington.

There used to be a Quaker Meeting House (ie a Church) at the end of Buttermarket Street.

There is still one just south of Warrington near to Antrobus.

And, of course, there is still the World Wide famous Baptist Chapel in Appleton.

If there were any way to tie the three in I would be very interested!

Our American cousins may be correct in their religeous beliefs about Warrington.

There used to be a Quaker Meeting House (ie a Church) at the end of Buttermarket Street.

There is still one just south of Warrington near to Antrobus.

And, of course, there is still the World Wide famous Baptist Chapel in Appleton.

If there were any way to tie the three in I would be very interested!

I'm going to sleep on this one RC.

Rocky, i have had a good look around at the various Quaker Meeting houses in the Warrington area and I can't see any way of tieing them together other than by the fact that their religion is obviousley the same, there was another meeting house in Meeting Lane Penketh, and there is also a Quaker burial ground at Whitley (Frandely burial ground) just along the lane from Whitley village school and on the top bank overlooking Whitley Pool, and not too far from where you live.

The following is taken from Lymm Angling Club website who own the fishing rights to the pool.

Between the years 1642 and 1648, Cromwell’s army passed through Whitley on several occasions. In 1643 Sir William Brereton set out from Northwich to attack the Earl of Derby at Warrington. Sir William’s army was routed at Stockton Heath and tradition has it that many of Cromwell’s army who died on the Heath were buried at Hill Cliffe and Budworth.
Cromwell’s army camped just across the way from Whitley Pool, just off the main A49 road as it is today. There were a few pools on that side back then which are no longer there today. Cromwell used the pools to supply the army’s horses with water. The farm now called Crimwell Pool Farm was originally called Cromwell’s Pool Farm. The name was changed due to the fact that new owners who came to live at the farm to breed Shire horses couldn’t name them Cromwell’s as that name was already in use, so they changed it to Crimwells.

whitley-pool-history-003.jpg?w=584&h=551

With Cromwell’s army slaughtering the Royalists and anyone else who opposed them, civil war and chaos had engulfed the kingdom and a group of devout Christian people didn’t like the way the country was being run and with what was going on… These people got together and this was the birth of the Quakers also known as “The religious society of friends”.

They started out around 1650 and Whitley was a leading area for them. Their numbers were very high in the area and as their following grew their movement expanded and they started to come up against a lot of opposition. Many folk didn’t like what they were preaching and the Quakers were persecuted, imprisoned and some even hanged for preaching their views and beliefs. Some of their more noted campaigns were for the abolishment of the slave trade and for women’s rights amongst other causes.

The Quakers graveyard next to Whitley is named Frandely Burial ground and is one of the oldest in Britain with graves dating back to 1657. The wall around the graveyard is classed as a Grade II listed monument and dates from around 1680. The oldest readable headstone is from the 17th Century and is that of a John Starkey of Stretton dated 1686, the most recent headstone is dated 1990….

According to the “Register Book of burials for the people called Quakers” held with the council well over 200 Quakers are buried in or around that little cemetery… Somewhat disturbing when we look at the map below…..The map below is dated 1842 and clearly shows a small burial plot named “Friends Society of Frandely trust burial grounds”. Where Whitley pool is was classed as pasture land and owned by a Mr Thomas Starkey back then, however the disturbing fact is that, that field was also named “Burying field” as
recorded by Cheshire County Council. This indicates that some of the 200+ graves may have been in the field that we now know as Whitley Pool…

I still would like to know where Algy gets all this very interesting information from , but he isn't telling!

Come on Algy, please help me!

Hecky Thumps Rocky!, there's no magic with obtaining information, it's only a matter of typing what you want to know into a search engine such as Google and then assesssing which website you wish to visii, if what you are searching for does not appear then present your question in a different way or modify your wording and eventually you may find what your looking for, I also obtain information from library reference books or those that I have collected over the years. The Quaker burial ground at Whitley I knew was there and typed in "Quaker burial ground Whitley" and it came up with the information. patience and persistence that's the secret my friend!. :wink:

Thanks Algy, I know that a world famous Briologist was buried in Hill Cliffe burial ground in the late 1880's. I know his name and have the permission of his biographer to reprint passages of this in the book I am trying to compile but, despite all my google searches and having contacted the archivist at Hill Cliffe Chapel I am still no further in finding his burial plot. I would like to photograph it. If you are able and willing to show me how I may be able to identify this I would be very grateful.

What is a briologist RC ? (I did google and found that and also biologist, bryologist) so not sure. 

Not being sarky (if it was just a typo) and just wondered.

Odd that the church themselves don't know where he's buried from their own church yard records as by the 1880's most were pretty good at keeping records and many go back way before then.

If they really don't know then I doubt there would be anything else to find anywhere... but there might be... you say he has a biography so was he important or is his biography just a family one recently compiled from their own personal memories and records ?

Hard to say anything more or to search for anything without an actual name but good luck and hope you find what you are looking for :)

Is this any help? I've found a few graves on here.  http://burialrecords.warrington.gov.uk/ Also there are a couple of publications in the Warrington Family History Society shop http://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/acatalog/Liverpool___SW_L_FHS_Warrington_51.html from Hill Cliffe. One is baptist burials and one 'children dedicated to God', don't know if either of those would be relevant. 

PS - I assume you've actually been up there and had a look?

Is this any help? I've found a few graves on here.  http://burialrecords.warrington.gov.uk/ Also there are a couple of publications in the Warrington Family History Society shop http://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/acatalog/Liverpool___SW_L_FHS_Warrington_51.html from Hill Cliffe. One is baptist burials and one 'children dedicated to God', don't know if either of those would be relevant. 

PS - I assume you've actually been up there and had a look?

Tracey, you will have to be very patient waiting a reply from Rocky, he either reads very slowly or becomes preoccuppied with other topics. :wink:

Rocky I believe you mean 'biologist' not as you typed 'briologist'  is this the gentleman you are referring to; Linnaeus Greening.

Warrington has an important educational and scientific history which includes the Warrington Academy, the first, rate-supported library in England and one of the first municipal museums. Natural history in Warrington in the late nineteenth century revolved around the town's museum and the field club. One man dominated the scene, Linnaeus Greening. A local industrialist, he spent the whole of his life in the town and was associated with the museum and the Warrington Field Club, giving lectures to members for over 40 years. Nationally he was known for his work on and collections of spiders and other arachnid groups but also collected and studied amphibians and reptiles.

Regarding the location of his grave, other than taking a scythe and cutting the grass from around the old graves I don't believe you are going to locate it my friend, assuming you have consulted all available records. One suggestion is, assuming he is a member of the well known Greenalls family if they have a crypt in the cemetery it's possible he may well be in there.

So is it Linnaeus Greening definitely the one we are looking for then or are we still awaiting confirmation by RC ?  Don't want to go on a wild goose chase for the wrong person :|

If it is him was he called 'Arthur' too ? 

So is it Linnaeus Greening definitely the one we are looking for then or are we still awaiting confirmation by RC ?  Don't want to go on a wild goose chase for the wrong person :|

If it is him was he called 'Arthur' too ? 

We need Rocky to confirm his identity, after saying that, he was Warringtons most well known biologist of that era or possibly to date, however knowing Rocky perhaps he is searching for the grave of a 'Briologist'!. :unsure:

Ahh but will Rocky divulge that sort of info Algy?  It may be top secret and part of his little booklet so he might not want to say.

If that's the case and he doesn't want to say well he's on his own and I for one might get some real work done tomorrow and maybe some much needed housework too, you can take your good lady wife out somewhere nice for the day and Tracey can play with her piggies (unless she's eaten then by now EEK).... rather than us all being on t'inerweb all day :wink: