Favourite movie scene ?

observer

one i like is from MIB when will smith drags the table across the room with a loud screech.

one that always sticks in my mind was the one from alien when the pod leaps up and attaches itself to the faceplate of the astronaut.

talk about nightmares. nearly broke the wifes arm one night when i saw this alien scuttling across the blankets only to find it was mrs sid reclaiming some of the duvet. :D

Double Indemnity is rich with memorable scenes created by Billy Wilder. When Stanwyck descends the stairs wearing an ankle bracelet, to the end when she tells MacMurray 'we are both rotten to the core'. The soundtrack music is 'right on'.

By the way, American Film Institute has clips from 100 films on last night TV as 'inspiring' scenes.

Here's an obscure, but favorite scene of mine. Barbara Stanwyck emerging from a night club curtain featuring Gene Krupa's Band (in 1943 or so) in BALL OF FIRE. She sells a song called Drum Boogie, and reprises it immediately as Krupa moves to a table and drums with match sticks on a match box. After seeing it many times, I noticed in the credits she was lip synching, but she could sure sell it like no one else could. You may remember, Gary Cooper hides her from the cops and falls in love. Who wouldn't?

The last scene in Breif Encounter:

Dazed, disoriented, defeated and jarred by memories of her passionate love affair, Laura is with Fred - her unemotional husband. It is quite possible that he is aware of how close he'd come to losing her when he kneels beside her and asks:

Fred: Laura?

Laura: Yes, dear.

Fred: Whatever your dream was, it wasn't a very happy one, was it?

Laura: No.

Fred: Is there anything I can do to help?

Laura: Yes, Fred, you always have.

Fred: You've been a long way away.

Laura: Yes.

Fred: Thank you for coming back to me. (Laura weeps in Fred's arms.)

Makes me cry every time!

E.S. and Obs --- I'm sure it was YANKEE DOODLE DANDY although I don't remember that scene myself. In that film Cohan was depicted receiving our highest medal from Franklin D.Roosevelt. Possibly due to his song OVER THERE or selling war bonds and patriotism in general. Oh, all right, I'll look up George M. Cohan on the Internet and clarify.

[ 16.11.2006, 19:48: Message edited by: jerry ]

George Cohan was presented the Congressional Medal by FDR, after he went to the White House wondering if he was going to be scolded for his stage portrayal of that President. At the time people said it's the only Congressional Medal of Honor ever to go to a civilian. Yet, the armed forces Medal of Honor doesn't include the word 'congressional'.

This is why the UK has a better honors system,with the Victoria Cross for combatants and titles for civilians,n'est ce pas?

Mary, What a stroke of luck !!! Brief Encounter was on the Turner Classic Movies channel this afternoon and I managed to catch the last half hour. I had seen it before -- I remember the chatterbox lady sending the doctor to fetch tea at their very, very last meeting, last opportunity to touch each other. Earlier she had decided, though,that decency and self respect count for something. I don't think that works for males -- notice he left it all up to here to decide. I only missed the part where her husband says, thank you for coming back to me.

By the way, I looked this film up on the Net to see who wrote or directed it, and my browser brought me instead to a commercial introductions web called Brief Encounter. And the banner said, 'looking for a brief encounter?' I had to blush.

George Bailey discovers how much his life has influenced his neighbours' when they come together to save him from ruin. He knows, thanks to his rather quirky guardian angel, what the world would have been like had he not been born.

A bell rings on the Christmas tree - another angel gets his wings - "Atta boy, Clarence", says George.

The end of my favourite film ever, starring my all-time favourite actor; Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life".