TJ Hughes Old Store

Coffee

from the "other local news site"

"99P STORES will open a branch in part of the former TJ Hughes building on Sankey Street.

The new store will create 30 jobs for the town after the 18,500 sq ft shop undergoes a £250,000 transformation before it opens in the next few weeks.

"

another cheap shop!!

Me too when I read your post about the works Coffee  (by that I don't mean what the builders were drinking.....I mean I'm replying to you 'Coffee')

£1/4 of a million seems  an awful lot of money to spend doing it up if it's just going to be another cheap and tacky 99p shop though. How many more do we need as they all sell the same anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Really? Which ones do we need to avoid?

Non

asbestos. is perfectloy safe unless broken, drilled, burnt or similar. Most asbestos. used  - is I seem to recall - white asbastos which is quite hard to inhaled

White asbestos. is still comonly used around the world in insulation

I briefly worked for a company that supplied the asbestos. removal industry.a while ago

I'm probably already done for with regards to drilling into asbestos.... from being a young apprentice and still working on some buildings around the country that I worked on years ago; I know of many that are now full of stickers and restrictions on walls that I have fixed stuff to many years ago! :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I don't see has the old T J Huges store, to me its the old cooperative store. With the passing of the Coop the face of Sankey street  has changed, gone the days when the Coop paid three shilling and threepence in the pound divi!

Looked up how much a shilling was, 12p aparently, so they gave back 39p for every pound, that is an impressive discount

They pay 10% now, if you have a card, must apply for a card, been meaning to for years, I'll do it now!!!

The good this site does!!!

Monetary terminology for you 'Yonkers' (Yonkers = Youngsters in old money :wink: ).

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner' or 'Joey') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown ('half a dollar') (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)