Very interesting....

I'm trying to say just the opposite. That anyone should be able to take out a loan or buy a house (even when they have a snowballs chance of paying it back), but circumstances may change, for whatever reason, that may mean they no longer have a snowballs chance of paying it back.

Not sure if many people take on a loan or mortgage knowing full well that they will never pay it off (could be wrong) One always lives in hope that after the first few years, repayments become easier, a little like the 'reverse snowball effect'.

I'm trying to say just the opposite. That anyone should be able to take out a loan or buy a house (even when they have a snowballs chance of paying it back), but circumstances may change, for whatever reason, that may mean they no longer have a snowballs chance of paying it back.

Not sure if many people take on a loan or mortgage knowing full well that they will never pay it off (could be wrong) One always lives in hope that after the first few years, repayments become easier, a little like the 'reverse snowball effect'.

Yep

There was a time when you could take out a 25yr mortgage, with a reasonable expectation that you would remain in the same job in order to pay it back.

Yep

There was a time when you could take out a 25yr mortgage, with a reasonable expectation that you would remain in the same job in order to pay it back.

This is what Obs said - "you would remain in the same job in order to pay it back". And aren't we talking about loans taken out these days? Seems to me that perhaps some people have been living in hope of something turning up before the dread day of reckoning.

All the more reason why people shouldn't take out long term loans without taking measures to insure themselves against redundancy, illness etc. I was first made redundant in 1981 a mere 2 years into my first mortgage so it isn't a new phenomenon by any means.