Pensioners to be offered Shingles Vaccination

algy

Over 70's being offered a free shingles vaccination..

The viral infection affects more than 30,000 pensioners in England every year, but experts hope that a new vaccination programme could cut out 40% of cases.

From September, people aged 70 will be able to get the Zostavax vaccine on the NHS.

The Department of Health (DoH) added that people aged up to 79 will be able to take part in a "catch up programme".

At present, some pay between £150 and £200 to get the jab privately.

A DoH spokesman said that 800,000 people will be eligible for the vaccine in the first year.

Shingles is an infection of a nerve and the skin around it. It causes a painful rash which develops into itchy blisters. It can occur at any age, but is most common in people who are over 50.

Officials announced the move as part of changes to the UK's immunisation schedule.

40% is better than nothing I suppose, but not exactly high. Will you be having it Algy?

Think I better had Peter as Harry said, it's a nasty virus. I think there's one or two upstairs in the National/General section who'd love to give me a  lethal injection at the moment. :wink:

Not at all algy, I dont agree with you but your input is appreciated, its one of the most intresting debaites in a while, I think you should go upstairs more often

As you say Lt quite entertaining, the problem I find, and I'm as guilty as the next man, it becomes a point scoring exercise and I'm rapidly loosing interest, I do have quite a low boredom threshold so I think I shall clear off and leave it to you pros.

This is come with poor timing for my mum who will be 90 this month. She came down with shingles in February and is only just now getting over the worst of it. Not a nice disease at all (if any could be called "nice").