18th Century Receipt from the Red Lion

Tracey Bennett

I came across this is Charles Foster's book 'Capital and innovation' in which he looks at the Warrington area between 1500 and 1780. Rachel Dale seems to have had The Red Lion in the 1770s. I'd never heard of 'Neagus' before but apparently it's a sort of hot toddy made with port. Does anyone know when the present Lion building dates from? I'd always assumed it was solidly Victorian but thinking about the moulding on the ceiling in the function room, that could possibly be 18th Century I guess?

Sorry, I can't embed the image direct from photobucket, not sure what the problem is but I've tried for the last half hour and no amount of square brackets or replacing url with img is working!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee227/TraceyBennett/redlionreceipt_zpsc011f5a4.png

redlionreceipt_zpsc011f5a4.png

Edited by Dizzy
picture code corrected by Dizzy ;)

click to edit your post that I changed.

If you can't see the actual code text then click on the icon top left above the 'B'old button to toggle the reply/edit window and you will see it.  Remember to toggle it back though as it greys out all the other toolbar functions until you switch back.

I found a reference in the London Gazette to Rachel Dean 'at the sign of the Red Lion' which I think is dated 1765. Do you think it's likely the building there today is the original one?

That I could not say Trace, other than I think so!.

I believe that "the beatles" played upstairs at the Red Lion.

I missed that but saw many fantastic groups there.

The Red Lion is an 17C coaching Inn and was also an auction house for live stock (sheep, cows etc.) and other goods even until the 1950's when Bridgefoot was changed.

My Father-in-law told me that he used to "drive" (ie walk) his cattle to market there from High Legh as his Father had done before him.

Rocky I wasn't aware that it had been a coaching inn as early as the 1600's or that it had been a livestock auction house, I know the Norton Arms held cattle auctions up till the early 50's. I'm certainly not challenging your information and am very interested to know your source so that I can record the information.

Just found a really interesting report from WBC about the Bridge St Conservation area, link is here: http://www.warrington.gov.uk/downloads/file/909/bridge_street_conservation_area_appraisal

I've not got through all of it yet, it's 78 pages long but it says that the Lion building dates from the 'late 18th C'. If the business was there before that it must obviously have been in an earlier building. 

Tracey your question regarding whether the existing Lion Hotel is the original building the answer is a definite No!, I came across this on the British listed Buildings Site.

The Lion Hotel, Bridge Street, warrington.

A licensed house here since C17, but present building later C18, much restored.
Brick with slate roof, wood eaves and cornice. Long and short quoins, and one
contemporary rainwater head and pipe. Ground floor faced in terracotta, with
new doors etc.; painted signboard, archway through to yard. Upper storeys have
6 restored sash windows each floor.

Tracey when you have time have a look at how many GII listed have gone!.

I'd rather not depress myself on a Sunday night!

I've just remembered my A Level English Lit, we read a play called The Beaux Stratagem, an 18th C restoration comedy. The first part is set in an Inn in Litchfield and the landlord mentions the arrival of the Warrington coach, I guess it came from the Lion! Kind of ironic that at the time I was studying the play I was frequenting the Lion every weekend.