St George's Day

wolfie

Dearest Algy, old friend, When Mohamed proposed to me for the second time I told him that I would but made it quite clear to him that I would not convert to Islam for him. He loved me so much that he accepted that condition, much to the annoyance of his mother when I first met his family after our marriage in the UK. She told him that he had married beneath himself. My response to that was, "That's funny, my parents said exactly the same to me." If looks could kill i would have died right there and then.

In actual fact my decision to convert came several years after we married and because I felt I wanted to. Mohamed put no pressure on me to convert and indeed was quite surprised when I mentioned to him that I was considering it, happy too of course.

OK so I'm only wondering and nothing deep meant by this question as I tend to try and stay away from religious stuff.....

.....but what 'religion' did you 'convert' from Cleo ie C of E, catholic etc etc and did you find it easy to change your views or any the beliefs you had grown up with over here ? Like I said.... just wondered that's all.

How come his mum and his family didn't come to your wedding though. That's quite sad and it must be hard to miss out your own kids wedding.

So Cleo, what do you know about the blood letting of the Muslim Empires?

I could give you a history lesson if you like.

Is this going to be one of your hit and runs, attack a religion but when someone tries to put you right you will here non of it. Its just the wicked Christians having a go, Sounds like ignorance to me. Not far removed from the ignorance of a suicide bomber. Or the same mentality at least., 

Just wondering like, what would your sentence be in Egypt, if you decided Islam was not for you?, Could you do it, the same way you can in the UK?

• Upvote 1

Alg, That theory may make good sci-fi movies, but as it cannot be a proven fact, there's not a lot of science to it. As the crusades ended in total failiure, their only function (as with most warfare), was to cull the populations and instill a sectarian hatred that has lasted until today.

Alg, That theory may make good sci-fi movies, but as it cannot be a proven fact, there's not a lot of science to it. As the crusades ended in total failiure, their only function (as with most warfare), was to cull the populations and instill a sectarian hatred that has lasted until today.

Thank you Lt. Obs, I was answering this question that you posed earlier -  Alg, could you explain why - if the crusades had not taken place, "many of us would not be here today"? - it was not my intention to demonstrate a science fiction scenario, merely to explain that if certain events had not taken place in the past then we as individuals would not have existed as we are today, it was not my intention to enter into dialogue regarding as to why the crusades took place!. For goodness sake obs 'stay on the rails'!!!.

Obs, I'm sure this must have been stated many times previously, should you not change your forum name from Observer to Obscure!. :wink:

An example of what Algy means.....

My Granddad (Thomas Jones) served on board the battleship HMS Canada during WW1. He joined Canada on the day she was commissioned (She was previously being built for the Chilean Navy when WW1 broke out so the Royal Navy commandeered her for service - After the war she was sold back to Chile) He saw action at Jutland and was in the landing party that attacked the U-Boat yards in Zeebrugge - and was entered into the VC ballot for that action....

anyway, Granddad served on Canada during WW1. His best friend on Canada was a David John Hastings.... he had a sister - Chrissie May Hastings, who he introduced to Thomas and the result was a wedding and the birth of my dad!! So without WW1, I wouldn't be here!!

Years ago I listened to a programme on radio 4 where the wide availability of Indian take-aways was traced back to the shot that killed Arch-Duke Ferdinand.

Before you ask, no, I can't remember the full details but it was certainly an interesting example of consequences.

(And don't  forget,  in the multiverse  events  produce a series of separate realities    :blink:   )