Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax.

algy

I am convinced that cyclists should pay a cycling road tax and carry mandatory cycling insurance, they occupy a part of the road with wheeled rubber tyres not dissimilar to cars and motorcycles, they are often involved in road accidents, sections of the highway are partition off as cycle lanes and are therefore unavailable for use by motor vehicles that are paying road tax. I say -  "make it compulsory for cyclists to pay insurance and a cyclists road tax".

• Upvote 1

Road tax has nothing to do with roads. The money raised from it is not spent on roads.

Listen Smart Arse!!!, I am not debating where the money was ending up, I am making a direct comparison regarding motorists and cyclists, I'm fully aware that the maney is not being spent on the roads, I am also aware that cyclists pedal their machines and motorists are propelled by some form of motive power, so unless you have something intelligent and sensible to say crawl back under your stone and go back to sleep!!!!.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Yes, cyclists should pay road tax.... or a tax in order to use the public highways; like other vehicles do.

Plus, I would go so far as to make the use of cycle lanes (when provided) compulsory..... yesterday coming down Cromwell Avenue.... three cyclists riding three abreast in their finest lycra attire, with the huge and very expensive cycle lane at the side of the road unused.....

Listen Smart Arse!!!, I am not debating where the money was ending up, I am making a direct comparison regarding motorists and cyclists, I'm fully aware that the maney is not being spent on the roads, I am also aware that cyclists pedal their machines and motorists are propelled by some form of motive power, so unless you have something intelligent and sensible to say crawl back under your stone and go back to sleep!!!!.

Think someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!!!

Not like you algy, to resort to name calling !!

Your second post lays out exactly what you want, shame your first did not.

• Upvote 2

Bloody hell, bit of road rage there.

In a recent poll  67% of cyclists said that they already pay road tax because they also drive cars. 19% said they cause no damage to the roads. and 14% said they reduce traffic congestion so no they should not pay road tax.

"I witnessed a cyclist jumping the traffic lights earlier.

He must have cleared them by about 5 feet,with help from my bumper and the kerb."

• Upvote 1

The suggestion has merit.   I would argue against it simply cos we have too many taxes and would cost too much to administer.   The old dog licence.was something similar.

Cycling is a cheap and almost the first form of personal transport.  A lot of poorer people would be priced off the road, which in my eyes would be a bad thing.

Happy days.

Compulsory third party insurance, yes. Cyclists can cause hundreds or even thousands of pounds worth of damage to cars, why should a car driver have to fork out for repairs when a cyclist has scraped it, or caused an accident.

Compulsory identification, yes. The reason so many cyclists behave like arrogant idiots is that they know they can't easily be caught. A compulsory high viz tabard or velcro patch with a "registration number" on it would solve the problem.

Some form of Road Tax, yes. Divide the cost of all the publicly provided cycle lanes and bike racks by the number of over 16 year old regular cyclists in an area and have them pay annually for their own facilities.

Enforcement of the use of cycle lanes where provided, definitely. Again it's a problem of identification which would be solved by registration numbers.

Could prove difficult to do as others have pointed out. I believe the insurance part may be covered by your household insurance - I know when my son scratched a neighbours car with his bike my household insurance paid out. Compulsory use of the expensive bike lanes I would agree with as the cost of this is born by all of us, motorists and non motorists.

The suggestion has merit.   I would argue against it simply cos we have too many taxes and would cost too much to administer.   The old dog licence.was something similar.

Cycling is a cheap and almost the first form of personal transport.  A lot of poorer people would be priced off the road, which in my eyes would be a bad thing.

Happy days.

Harry I agree with you to a point, it isn't your average Jo who rides to work on his bike or nips across town to visit his old mother it's the lycra clad lunatics that race around the roads as if they were on the velodrome, they believe they are beyond the arm of the law, holding traffic up while riding two abreast and have loutish manners with their vulgar gesticulations.

Compulsory third party insurance, yes. Cyclists can cause hundreds or even thousands of pounds worth of damage to cars, why should a car driver have to fork out for repairs when a cyclist has scraped it, or caused an accident.

Compulsory identification, yes. The reason so many cyclists behave like arrogant idiots is that they know they can't easily be caught. A compulsory high viz tabard or velcro patch with a "registration number" on it would solve the problem.

Some form of Road Tax, yes. Divide the cost of all the publicly provided cycle lanes and bike racks by the number of over 16 year old regular cyclists in an area and have them pay annually for their own facilities.

Enforcement of the use of cycle lanes where provided, definitely. Again it's a problem of identification which would be solved by registration numbers.

Why stop there, pedestrians are involved in far more incidents than cyclists so lets tax them too.  Fines for crossing the road not using a publicly provided pedestrian crossing. Compulsory 3rd party insurance.   We could force all pedestrians to carry an ID card and have their name and address printed on their mandatory hiviz clothing.  In fact why don't we give all our money to the Government and have them give us a bit of pocket money when we need it.

I'm with PJ, it could not work, For kids a bike gives them their first taste of freedom. Have we calmed down now algy?

I wasn't upset El Tee, you wouldn't want to see me when I am though!, but now we are debating my original post, I really believe that as I said cyclists should carry insurance and road tax, to quote children in the context of adult riders is not a realistic comparison as young children are hopefully supervised and should not be riding along roads where traffic is present, there could be a starting band say sixteen years of age where tax and insurance must be obtained.

Harry I agree with you to a point, it isn't your average Jo who rides to work on his bike or nips across town to visit his old mother it's the lycra clad lunatics that race around the roads as if they were on the velodrome, they believe they are beyond the arm of the law, holding traffic up while riding two abreast and have loutish manners with their vulgar gesticulations.

It must be difficult for all these angelic, law abiding, non speeding, perfect drivers who wouldn't dream of making a vulgar gesture, to put up with these evil cyclists intent on causing as much mayhem as possible.

I wasn't upset El Tee, you wouldn't want to see me when I am though!, but now we are debating my original post, I really believe that as I said cyclists should carry insurance and road tax, to quote children in the context of adult riders is not a realistic comparison as young children are hopefully supervised and should not be riding along roads where traffic is present, there could be a starting band say sixteen years of age where tax and insurance must be obtained.

But children are involved in a high proportion of cycling accidents and cycling deaths.  

It must be difficult for all these angelic, law abiding, non speeding, perfect drivers who wouldn't dream of making a vulgar gesture, to put up with these evil cyclists intent on causing as much mayhem as possible.

Exaggeration has no place in logical discussion PJ!. :wink:

Ok, I will go with ignoring your hissy fit. What about horse riders should it be extended to them. I would be against taxing bike riders, and in favour on banning horses from the road.

El Tee, drive for twenty miles this afternoon and tell me how many horse riders you pass and how many cyclists you pass, and then that aspect of the topic is worth discussing.

Golly gosh Algy! Your corns giving you gyp!?