Church Street & Bank Street Photos.

algy

1855. The street market in Church Street, the Work House is the austere building on the right with the Bulls Head next door. Not long after this photo was taken the Town Council banned this annual market.

1855ChurchStreetFairtheoldWorkhousenearr

Children and staff of the 'Ragged School' in Bank Street, the building was a former Weslyan Chapel.

1908FormerWesleyanChapelUpperBankStreetw

Early 1900's.The National School on the right. built 1833 and the Marquis of Grandby next to it.

1900sChurchStreet002_zpsb043bd79.jpg

The 'Black and White House', with Rylands Factory chimney in the background where Sainsbury's now stands.

1900TheoldhalftimberedhouseinChurchStree

Junction of Church Street and Mersey Street.

1905CornerofChurchStreetampMerseyStreet_

The Marquis of Grandby pretending to be what it never was!

The_Marquis_of_Granby_Inn_zpsf0eba50f.jp

This is how it really looked!, no mock half timbered look etc.

1909ChurchStreetpreparingforthevisitofKi

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Algy, that's very kind of you.  They lived in Union Street from 1918 to 1933 when they moved to Sankey Bridges.  Another relative lived in Dolmans Lane.  When I was young, I would listen for hours to the stories of old Warrington and the goings on around Union St, Bank St.  They were very poor and had nothing but listening to their stories they were happy.  Perhaps we could learn a thing or two from them.  What do you think?  

Thanks Algy, that's very kind of you.  They lived in Union Street from 1918 to 1933 when they moved to Sankey Bridges.  Another relative lived in Dolmans Lane.  When I was young, I would listen for hours to the stories of old Warrington and the goings on around Union St, Bank St.  They were very poor and had nothing but listening to their stories they were happy.  Perhaps we could learn a thing or two from them.  What do you think?  

I agree, they were patient, tolerant and had empty bellies or at best full ones with little goodness in their diets and most of them had no chance of finding work, and we in this day and age moan and grumble about anything and everything, we haven't a clue how the poor of this country suffered.

• 10 months later...

Hiya Sylvia131

Do you mean the Bank Street or Church Street area? 

Hard to point you on the right direction without knowing a little more about what sort of thing you are looking for or when your relative died, if that's not too much of a personal question of course :oops:

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sorry at the work house his name was Herbert Hankinson his D.O.B. is may 13th 1878 He died there on the 2nd June 1908 from what ive been told it was said he died of Imbecility. General decay of the nervous system Aged 29. No information that my brother collected has been varified so any help in confirming this would be great, Thanks in advance :lol:

How very sad Sylvia131 especially with him being so young when he died :(

I have just checked the census records etc and have found him but unfortunately as he died before the 1911 census I can't find him at the workhouse as he wasn't there in 1901.

You probably have this info already which shows him as being an 'Imbecile from Childhood' ........

1891 Census - 41 Chorley Street, St Johns Ward, Warrington

Isaac Hankinson - Head - age 43 - Wire Weaver - born Lancashire Warrington
Mary Hankinson - Wife - age 43 - no occupation - born Lancashire Warrington
Thomas Hankinson - Son - age 17 - Labourer at Wireworks - born Lancashire Warrington
Amy Hankinson - Daughter - age 15 - Cotton Weaver - born Lancashire Warrington
Herbert Hankinson - Son -age 12 - born Lancashire Warrington - Imbecile from Childhood
Isaac Hankinson - Son - age 9 - born Lancashire Warrington
Noah Hankinson - Son - age 1 - born Lancashire Warrington

Aaargh I've just spilt my coffee all over my piece of paper and the ink has run... so more to come in a sec as I'll have to look again now :lol:

Herbert Hankinson

born - 13 May 1878, Warrington  (parents Isaac and Mary)
baptised - 26 May 1878, Warrinton
death - registered Apr/May/June 1908, Warrington

1881 Census - 60 Lythgoes Lane -  Herbert not shown

Isaac Hankinson - Head - age 34 - Galvanizer - born Lancashire Warrington
Mary Hankinson - Wife - age 34 - no occupation - born Lancashire Warrington
Ann J - daughter -age 11 - scholar
Thomas Hankinson - Son - age 8- scholar
Amy Hankinson - daughter - age 5 - scholar

1891 Census - 41 Chorley Street, St Johns Ward, Warrington

Isaac Hankinson - Head - age 43 - Wire Weaver - born Lancashire Warrington
Mary Hankinson - Wife - age 43 - no occupation - born Lancashire Warrington
Thomas Hankinson - Son - age 17 - Labourer at Wireworks - born Lancashire Warrington
Amy Hankinson - Daughter - age 15 - Cotton Weaver - born Lancashire Warrington
Herbert Hankinson - Son -age 12 - born Lancashire Warrington - Imbecile from Childhood
Isaac Hankinson - Son - age 9 - born Lancashire Warrington
Noah Hankinson - Son - age 1 - born Lancashire Warrington

1901 Census - 13 Cobden Street, Warrington

Isaac Hankinson - Head - age 53 - Galvanizer - born Lancashire Warrington
Mary Hankinson - Wife - age 53 - no occupation - born Lancashire Warrington
Herbert Hankinson - Son -age 21 - born Lancashire Warrington - Imbecile from Childhood
Isaac Hankinson - Son - age 19 - Wireworker -born Lancashire Warrington
Noah Hankinson - Son - age 11 - born Lancashire Warrington

from the census return Herbert must have gone into the workhouse between 1901 and 1908 (his death) maybe because his father had died in 1903 age 56

1911 Census - 48 Birchall Street, Warrington

Mary Hankinson - age 65 - WIDOW
Isaac - son - age 30 - Wire Workers Labourer

You can view the actual 1881 census records for free on Find My Past but all other years you can only search then have to pay to view (either subscription or by buying credits which I wouldn't recommend as that works out really expensive if you aren't sure exactly what or who you are looking for)

There's also sites like 'Family Search' and others where you can find info but can't see the actual census returns so where any are transcribed incorrectly which happens quite a lot records sometimes don't show up or names are incorrect.

If you go into the local libraries you can use Find My Past for free though and they might also have Ancestry too.

I find using them all along side each other very useful.... and addictive :lol:

• Upvote 1

You're very welcome Sylvia131 and I'm so glad you found the information useful :D

15 children though WOW !!  Very sad that so many died young though but I guess that happened to many back then and a shame you don't have any photos of your grandad or family as I know how hard and upsetting that is.
A lot of our old family photos and info were throw away by a relative, infact two did it one on each side of the family line.  We do have some but it's very frustrating to think there should be so much more !!

If you want copies of the census records I looked at just let me know and I'll email them to you :wink:  Due to copyright I can't really upload them onto here.

I just found your Grandad Noah on the 1911 census.  He is shown being with his sister Amy and her husband and children

1911 Census - 105 Bramhall Street, Warrington

William Jones - head - age  34 - General Dealer Hardware - Employer - born Oswestry Salop
Amy Jones - wife - age 34 - no occupation listed - born Warrington
Thomas Jones - son - age 12 - scholar - born Warrington
Edward Jones - son - age 8 - scholar - born Warrington
Noah Hankinson - brother in law  - age 21 - Labourer for above - born Warrington

• Upvote 1

Workhouse classification:-

• *1 Imbeciles, a less severely deficient group, were unable to protect themselves against moral and mental dangers.
  • *2 Idiots, the most deficient, were unable to protect themselves against basic physical dangers.

*1  Usually as the result of poor or no education.

*2 The same as *1. but also physically weak or/and deformed.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much, if you could email them that would be great, May i just say this site has opened up many doors already, I went to the facebook photo page and in seconds i found  my dads brothers daughter, im so excited im just waiting to hear confirmation from her, Many thanks to you all that are helping me put my past back together xx

That's lovely to hear Sylvia131 and I hope you hear back from her very soon :)   Which facebook photo page did you go ?

I'll download the census returns, might be tomorrow though now, but in the mean time can you send me a PM (personal message) with your email address so I know where to send them :wink:

If there is anything else you are stuck on or wondering about just ask and I'll happily have a look as I love nothing more than helping people unravel the past..... well truth be known I've hit a dead end with my family tree now thanks to a very awkward great great great great grandad and his equally awkward wife not to mention people marrying who had virtually identical surnames.  Families eh ? :lol:

Hi its warrington photos warrington born , lots on there, Tell me about the names my great great grandad John Hankinson married a Alice Marsh and his dad was John Hankinson who also married a Alice Marsh lol freaky and frustrating so ive stopped looking at them for a while lol.Will send you pm in a minute thanks.  you might regret offering has im going to try my mums side of the family and they are jones lol few headaches comming my way lol

I got your PM and replied.  

I wonder if our ancestors purposely set out to confuse matters with who they married etc.  I bet they are all looking down on us and having a right old laugh now :lol:   As for the 'Jones' well that should be fun... get your valium at the ready :wink:

• Upvote 1

Just having a little ponder while my drier finishes but without wanting to seem rude and question your family findings.... are you sure that your great great grandad John Hankinson married Alice Marsh and that his dad was also a John etc. 

Only reason for asking is that I have who I think is your g g grandad John (born 1810, baptised 5 Aug 1810) marrying an Ann Wilson in 1838 at St Pauls.   And also his father possibly being a James Hankinson married to a Betty Atherton. 

...and my second ponder.  You say your mums side was Jones.....

The 1911 census I put on here yesterday shows your grandad Noah Hankinson at the same address as his sister Amy who is by then the wife of William JONES

Now I'm confused... but then again it is 1am in the morning.  Serves me right for forgetting to put the drier on earlier  :lol: 

Omg i nearly hit the vallium lol ok Amys husband is not related to my mums side that i know of yet lol, My sister also married a jones.   Has for John born 9th sept 1763 he married Alice Marsh on 4th of january 1791 in Eccles.. John born 3rd November 1809 divorced Alice Marsh 19th may 1941 then married Ann Wilson 16th December 1838 at St Pauls, :P  Please tell this is right lol

Well the John + Ann Wilson marriage at St Pauls in 1838 looks right to me so that's something lol. 
I'll have a look for the rest you mention once I can get into my ancestry account.  I seem to be having a technical hitch at the moment so don't know if there is a problem with the site tonight.  Will download the other stuff for you like I promised once I get on.

Af for the John b1763 (John jnrs father) I had him down as being a James like I said but maybe that was because I was looking in Warrington.  Odd though as 'his' family names matched up with some of John Jnrs and Herberts etc but I didn't double check further as it was late. 

Oh the joys of family trees :lol:

• Upvote 1