Margaret Thatcher is dead

Bazj

You need to separate Thatcher from Thatcherism to understand what I'm suggesting here: every government since has continued with her ideology, and it could be said that Labour have been more zealous than she would have been.

“Her real triumph was to have transformed not just one party but two, so that when Labour did eventually return, the great bulk of Thatcherism was accepted as irreversible.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/owen-jones-thatcherism-was-a-national-catastrophe-that-still-poisons-us-8564858.html

And don't make the assumption that anti-Thatcher = pro-Blair.

Rather strange way to "stop the Unions"; demolish our manufacturing base, put them on the dole, then the sick, and leave lost generations of unemployment and benefit dependency, affecting whole communities, especially north of Watford Gap. Even Adolf couldn't manage that in WW2.

Rather strange way to "stop the Unions"; demolish our manufacturing base, put them on the dole, then the sick, and leave lost generations of unemployment and benefit dependency, affecting whole communities, especially north of Watford Gap. Even Adolf couldn't manage that in WW2.

That didn't answer my question. I take it that you and the other anti Thatchers approved of the strikes and the three day week then, plus bodies waiting to be buried?

Now the real hypocrisy begins, with parliament being recalled from their Easter hols at up to £3,750 each, for the eulogies. Many of the Tories turning up at the funeral, will be the very folk who finally stabbed her in the back and ended her reign. Sid, Maggie rarely took "advise" from "advisors", imo that was probably her great strength and only redeeming feature; a politician who actually believed in something and rode down the nay sayers to impose her will on situations; hence the Falklands are still the Falklands, not the Malvinas. Unfortunately her zeal in tearing down most of what existed, didn't extend to contructing anything positive to replace it - hence the consequent desolation of many communities north of Watford Gap, and the culture of "me now - and sod the rest" - as she said "there's no such thing as society". However, she certainly laid the example of the kind of elderly care we should all expect, with her £4,000 per night stay at the Ritz Hotel !

Watching the TV coverage of the tributes to this woman in the House of Commons - major dough-nutting on the Labour benches - all sat at one end behind Millband minor to hide the half empty benches from the cameras.

Personally I approve of any Labour MP who is not hypocritical enough to take part in this farce - seven hours set aside  for this sham when Churchill only got an hour.

I'm doing a piece on Mrs Thatcher for another website and I'm struggling with a few dates and I can't find the info on Google.

Could somebody please let me know when Tony Blair or even Gordon Brown did the following once they got into number 10?

• Re-introduce school milk
  • Re-open all the pits
  • Create jobs in deprived areas
  • Stand up for the UK against the Euro Super state and get money off them as a rebate
  • Hand the Falkland Islands back to Argentina
  • Release all Hillsborough documents and issue a formal apology
  • Closely regulate the banks
  • Re nationalize all the industries nationalised by the Tory Government
  • Give the unions back the power to hold the country to ransom that was so cruelly taken from them

are you struggling too??

Just asking like

Why not look for dates on how she killed off manufacturing, and brought about a reliance on the city Baz

Just asking like,

If your struggling for dates I am sure theirs people on here to help you out, I doubt you will need help with that one,

Letting people buy council houses Baz is now biting this government on the ass, as we do not have enough social housing, letting people buy was a vote winner in the short term, but the UK is suffering for it 30 years on.

Ps

very hard and very expensive to reopen flooded pits

Why not look for dates on how she killed off manufacturing, and brought about a reliance on the city Baz

Just asking like,

If your struggling for dates I am sure theirs people on here to help you out, I doubt you will need help with that one,

Letting people buy council houses Baz is now biting this government on the ass, as we do not have enough social housing, letting people buy was a vote winner in the short term, but the UK is suffering for it 30 years on.

Ps

very hard and very expensive to reopen flooded pits

always the same nonsense Kije.... you always answer questions with a question.....

So you too believe that Maggie single handedly killed off manufacturing without any help from the likes of Red Robbo and his union buddies.... that all was well and that there was no other factor involved other than Maggie shutting everything down?

oh please!!!

In this country we have a process called compulsory purchase order.... Labour could have forcibly bought back the council houses.... they didn't.

Is it so hard and so expensive to re-open a flooded pit? or is that just what you want to believe or is that what Labour said?

I was astonished to see that Jimmy Savile spent seven consecutive New Years at Checkers as Thatchers house guest.  Now the heads of the beeb etc may have been prepared to turn a blind eye to this fiends attrocities but there is no way that MI5 etc. let you get that close to a PM without a thorough vetting.  

What I cannot understand is why people are blaming her for all the things that happened. As I have stated before SHE HAD HELP PEOPLE.

It's like saying Ronnie Biggs was solely responsible for the great train robbery.

To be honest if you really want to place the blame firmly on the person responsible. Get a list of all the people who voted her into office.

As a politician she was "unpopular" so are nearly all the politicians, it is in the job description. As a person I would not know having never met her socially but her children seemed to like her, which must count for something. No person is all bad or all good. so maybe it is time to forget the politics and remember the human being.

It is sad that people's views of politicians are coloured by their own prejudices. If you look beyond the party politics, there can be no doubt that Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair were the two greatest post war prime ministers. I would say Maggie was the better, but only by a hair's breadth.

She came at a time when we needed her. She did the job and, yes, she did probably make some  mistakes towards the end.

The community charge, although it was dropped because it proved so unpopular and divisive, was in my opion a better system than the rating system that preceded or the council tax that followed it. OK it was difficult to enforce, but that is never a good reason for dropping something.

The Blair/Brown team benefitted from being in power at a time of world prosperity and in the end proved no better than anyone else when it came to solving the economic problems that inevitably followed.

People keep saying Maggie destroyed our manufacturing base. But it was actually the unions that made that necessary. They virtually destroyed the mining industry, the car manufacturing industry, the newpaper industry...the list goes on.

Yes Maggie divided the country - between the Right and the Wrong!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1