Should life mean life?

observer

Not really. Firstly it was 15 year tariff of a life sentance for the main culprit. The remaining two didnt get life sentances. Instead they got fixed sentances.

The tarrif set is a recommendation / minimum. If the parole board consider him not safe to be relased, he stays in. If he does get released he is on licence for the rest of his life and can be recalled at any stage if he commits another offence. He is far from free.

If you are suggesting throw away the key, then unlikley as it was a fact that they didnt actually intend to kill. Subtle but important difference.

17 years does seem lenient - even if it was manslaughter not murder..

Should life be a full natural life term. in some circumstances yes, but first remove the mandatory life sentence for  murder - some killings are  worse than others , if I set out to murder someone who had raped a loved one that is not as heinous an offence as gunning down a policeman while evading arrest.

17 years does seem lenient - even if it was manslaughter not murder..

Should life be a full natural life term. in some circumstances yes, but first remove the mandatory life sentence for  murder - some killings are  worse than others , if I set out to murder someone who had raped a loved one that is not as heinous an offence as gunning down a policeman while evading arrest.

I understand your thinking but your reasoning is screwed, setting out to kill someone is premeditated murder, shooting the policeman is murder but not premeditated. Murder is murder and should be a capital offence.

• Downvote 1

In answer to Obs topic title -

Yes a life sentence should mean for the rest of their life, die in prison or prison hospital.

Adrian we know the scum will only receive the sentence that the law dictates, "the law is an ass". to quote mr Bumble.

Look him up on the Jeremy Kyle show.... makes for sick TV....

Life will never mean life while we have soft justice. A life sentence used to mean a lot.... the experience I have is that a life sentence meant that after 7 years the murderer was in a category C open prison being groomed for life on the outside. Trouble was, said murderer went out and murdered again....

Life's a bitch so we should execute the scum and then there are no second victims

No worries there then.

I may not be a religious person but some of the punishments meted out in the various holy texts have a lot going for them when it comes to people like this.

As always the laws of the land are flawed when it comes to dealing with serious crime that involves loss of life whether accidental or deliberate.

It has always puzzled me that theft of mere money carries a heavier sentence than theft of life. after all money can be replaced a life cannot.

because our country is run by liberal toga wearing luvvies who have no spine and are incapable of making the right decisions on law and order which ios why we are saddled with our laws being created by even softer toga wearing liberal luvvies in Europe....

One anomaly that strikes me is why the boat race protester last year got 6 months jail when a serial burglar is let off & commended for his bravery !

I wonder if Philpott has dropped his soap in the shower yet or walked into a door?