Tom Bowe

Graz

"What I advertise I sell"

I remember seeing this shop when going through town on my way to school on the No.1 bus.  I remember thinking to myself, what a strange slogan, why say that, it's obvious you wouldn't advertise stuff that you didn't sell ? 

tom-bowe1_zpseef68b7a.jpg

tom-bowe3_zps52d94b6c.jpg

In later years he stopped advertising what he sold ?

tom-bowe2_zps90114302.jpg

Does seem a strenge thing to say Graz but maybe he was clever and a step ahead at the time as that wacky slogan could well have been the thing that made people notice and remember his shop.  It definately worked on you and Harry  :wink:

I've never heard of it myself so don't know where it was but is the pub on the opposite corner in your first pic the Hop Pole ?

Hello Dizzy,

Yes, the pub on the right is the Hop Pole, the whole row where Tom Bowe and others were was knocked down and redeveloped. The pedestrianised area past the pairs of skittles seems narrower now than when buses could travel in both directions ! 

The photo was taken from roughly where the taxi rank is outside the new bus station.

Graz, that brings memories flooding back, as Harry says cut price clothing, you really didn't want anyone to know if your mum had bought anything for you from 'Tom Bowe's but if needs must that's what you got, no designer gear in those days!.

For some reason I seem to remember Bowes as a bigger shop on a corner in Bridge Street. Sold school uniforms amongst other clothes. :huh:

I remember Lindy's and the slogan - 'I love Lindy's pies' but I can't remember ever seeing Tom Bowes where it is in the photo.

Me Mam worked at Lindys.

Thanks Graz :)

Stallard..... was the 'Trousers Down'  really another one of his signs or are you just teasing.  I had to ask as either way it's really funny but I have a need to know.

I wont laugh ( :lol: ) out loud in 'public' as Algy will tell me off again :lol:

Only kidding Algy x

Thanks Graz :)

Stallard..... was the 'Trousers Down'  really another one of his signs or are you just teasing.  I had to ask as either way it's really funny but I have a need to know.

I wont laugh ( :lol: ) out loud in 'public' as Algy will tell me off again :lol:

Only kidding Algy x

When have I ever told you off Dizz :lol:.