Time Team is History - We must save Time Team ....

indy

Channel 4 cancelled Time Team in October 2012 after 20 years, 230 programmes and still a lot of sites awaiting discovery and investigation by the Team.......... Let's convince Channel 4 of the great mistake that they have made in axing this iconic series ...

Please make this video go viral ! All footage shot in this video was filmed in Warburton/Warrington ...  Forward to all your friends . We need to save Time Team... We can do this !!!

Unfortunately , Time Team also provides more rugby league exposure than the BBC in the form of Paul Blinkhorn's Saints jumpers ! 

I am an avid viewer of  Time Team though ,even though the family think i'm sad, & it needs to be saved. No doubt it will be replaced by endless replays of Friends !

I had no idea that they were scrapping Time Team and that's a shame as I find them fascinating to watch.

I watched two episodes yesterday but they were being aired on the Discovery History Channel so I guess they may have been older ones.  

What I do think is interesting is how Time Team highlights how Channel 4 has changed. When the channel first started it was supposed to be arty, intellectual, cutting edge, provocative. Time Team was like public service broadcasting. These days Ch 4 is all about yoof and celebrity, TT doesn't fit the profile anymore.

I'm pretty sure that if Time Team was pulling in the viewers it would continue to be made, its all down to ratings which govern advertising income.  Channel 4 has no obligation to the Country to provide it with free archaeological digs, that's the job of Government to fund. Sadly for some the majority of the viewing public aren't turned on by a bunch of freaky looking hippy types digging up the odd hob nail and ring pull. 

Indy, it is possible that I missed your reply but did you ever get back to us with your finding as to what was under the tomb/grave stones in Warburton Church graveyard. :unsure:

The churchyard mystery remains a mystery as it is going through official channels including the Churches own archaeological department and plenty of red tape ... hopefully progress will be made soon

I'm pretty sure that if Time Team was pulling in the viewers it would continue to be made, its all down to ratings which govern advertising income.  Channel 4 has no obligation to the Country to provide it with free archaeological digs, that's the job of Government to fund. Sadly for some the majority of the viewing public aren't turned on by a bunch of freaky looking hippy types digging up the odd hob nail and ring pull. 

Channel four is a publicly owned not for profit channel that has a remit that obliges it to a wide range of tastes and interests and not just chase ratings - it could be argues that appealing to the minority that want to watch " a bunch of freaky looking hippy types ......" meets that remit. It could be argued that achieving low, even very low, ratings on at least some of their output is a sign of success.

It also has an obligation to make a significant contribution to the need for public service channels to include programmes of an educational nature.(as per Communications Act 2003).

While what you say is true, Channel 4 still has to attract advertising to fund its programmes, so needs to produce programmes that are able to do that. If Time Team is unable to attract sufficient viewers to convince advertisers to pay then I'm afraid thats show business!