Money back?

observer

Not quite there Asp:  the way they want it to work is as Mervyn King is now suggesting: IE. the taxpayer's bale out the Banks; the Banks are then split into profitable and toxic sections; the profitable sections are then sold for a song to the rich; whilst the toxic debt remains with the tax-payer. 

Well there you have it, the result of the government bail out is to make the rich richer (top politicians amongst them so no conflict of interest there /sarc/) and the rest of us continue to pay to prop up the bad banks. So the bail out was a big mistake. Lt Kije you should change your name to Tina :lol: :lol:

Not quite Asp: The consequences of another "Great Depression" were clearly the major factor in this:  IMO the Banks could remain Nationalised (clause iv !) OR IF & when they are sold off, they are sold off as a whole - including their toxic element.

But that isn't going to happen is it, because the whole idea of bailing the banks out was to preserve the interests of the rich and powerful, not the taxpayer who is, after all, only there to provide the funds for the bail out. And yet the same people who complain about the wealth gap on here are praising one of the reasons for it widening. You couldn't make it up!

I've told you a million times about exaggeration Obs. If the banks had been allowed to fail it would have been the people with the most wealth invested in them - the top 5% you're forever moaning about. The poor, who haven't got much, if anything. invested in the banks would have lost the least (having the least to lose).

"lost the least"?????!   The loss of a small amount to those with "small amounts" has a disproportionate impact on the majority of folk. I doubt the seriously rich folk would be banking in the High Street in any event, so a run on the Banks (like we saw with Northern Rock), wouldn't really affect them. The Government can't even tax them properly (assuming HMRC had the motivation) - as it seems some HMRC officials now employ off-shore accounts to dodge tax!

If you have a look at the accounts of the FSCS you will see that the money is already in place. It obviously wouldn't work if the funding hadn't been arranged in advance. But I see that you're determined to stick by the government bail out giving the rich money that has been taken from the poor. Anything to try and protect the already tarnished reputation of Gordon Brown the mad.

I'm glad you recognise that there is "loads of money out in the wide world" Asp, owned and controlled by "the wealthy few" - perhaps HMRC could eventually locate it. Had they bought into failed Banks, which is extremely unlikely; they would have called in all their loans from borrowers making mortgage owners and small buisinesses bankcrupt, ensuring contagion was widespread.

Who in the right mind Asp, would have bought a bank, with the dept liabilities they had??????

It could only have been a government, How many years since the crisis, and they are still making losses, nobody would have touched them, you are just being pedantic 

I'm glad you recognise that there is "loads of money out in the wide world" Asp, owned and controlled by "the wealthy few" - perhaps HMRC could eventually locate it. Had they bought into failed Banks, which is extremely unlikely; they would have called in all their loans from borrowers making mortgage owners and small buisinesses bankcrupt, ensuring contagion was widespread.

And you are still stuck in your small world mindset. HMRC is only concerned with the taxpayers of the UK, which is only one small country in a huge world. If the price is right ther will be a buyer for anything you want to sell. I didn't say any body would buy INTO failed banks, they would have bought the whole lot at a premium. Of course there would have been losers, but the biggest losers would be the rich that you are always moaning about (but seem keen to protect for some reason). You obviously have given this no thought at all.

Who in the right mind Asp, would have bought a bank, with the dept liabilities they had??????

It could only have been a government, How many years since the crisis, and they are still making losses, nobody would have touched them, you are just being pedantic 

There are always buyers for any product so long as the price is right. As it is the only losers are the people who cannot afford it - us, the taxpayers. The bankers aren't suffering, the politicians aren't suffering. The only people who are suffering are exactly the ones Obs mentioned - borrowers, mortgage owners and small businesses and the ones he didn't mention - savers.

Oh, and by the way, your idea that only government has enough money to buy a bank? Actually government doesn't have any money of its own - its the taxpayers money, and who the hell gave them permission to give my money to the richest 5% without any chance of me getting it back with interest?