Money back?

observer

Asp, money doesn't require a passport!  HMRC HAS located funds in Swiss Banks and off shore accounts, and has got some tax dues back - alas not enough imo.

If there is money in these accounts that require tax paying to HMRC so what? I'm not talking about your tiny world view, I'm talking about the whole world. There is a lot of money in the world looking for a bargain and a cut price British bank would find buyers at the right price. It might not be pretty but it would have been better than the eternal debt we have been landed with.

You really don't understand what has happened do you Obs? The people with most of the money in this country are the same people who control the government and the banks, and the same people who arranged for the government to use our money to save the banks and therefore their wealth, pensions, property etc at our expense. And YOU are making excuses for them. How stupid is that?

Oh so it isn't true that the wealthy are also the owners of the banks and have had their wealth protected by the government using taxpayers money to bail out the banks? It must be tearing you apart to be defending and decrying the wealthy at the same time Lt Kije.

Surely it's the responsibility of governments to oversee banks activities to ensure that the failure of any one bank doesn't cause the whole system to collapse, as when the US government stepped in to bail out AIG which had customers all over the world. 

The simple fact is that if the Government of the day had not bailed out the Banks there would have been cases of Banks going into liquidation followed by a loss of confidence from overseas in the UK Economy and a devaluation of the Pound resulting in an even bigger mess than we are in today. It would be like the US allowing Fort Knox to become empty of it's gold reserves with consequent loss of confidence - you can't let it happen... Not to mention the loss of individual saver's money which should be paramount...

Peridot

And I suppose you read the whole thing in 20 minutes? Don't make me laugh. It is an analysis of what went wrong and why the cure is worse than the disease. It explains exactly why the whole system wouldn't have come crashing down if the banks hadn't been bailed out by government. Anyway you will just have to keep your heads buried in the sand and continue paying your hard earned wages to the wealthiest people in the land and watching your savings depreciate.

When you look for who believes what you find that opinion is very much divided on what should have been done, but the reason why governments decided to use taxpayers money to bail out the banks was because it was in THEIR interests not the taxpayers.

You probably know my view re bankers asp, and being no expert I too am undecided as to whether bailing out the banks is a good or bad thing, but I find it difficult to accept that the link you chose to support your point, is by someone who knows what he is talking about as opposed to those with a different view who obviously do not know what they are talking about.

I didn't say that those of an opposing viewpoint "don't know what they're talking about", however the views expressed in the link I gave make perfect sense to me, and the government bailouts do nothing but reward those responsible for the banking problems and ensure that the wealthy are in no way inconvenienced.