Under the counter -

observer

Well, the latest one from this Health Facist Government, not satisfied with causing the closure of umpteen pubs/clubs; is to propose banning the display of fags in shops. :roll: Nothing to do with whether they are visible in a shop. :roll: One could have some respect for this Government if it went the full hog, and had the bottle to ban ciggies altogether; instead of this pathetic fiddling around the edges of the issue. :roll: Either that, or just give up, and let folk get on with risking THEIR own lives. :x

Couldn't agree with you more there obs.

I'm ashamed to say that the only reason I started smoking in my late teens was peer pressure to some extent and wanting to be like all my friends. It certainly wasn't becasue I saw ciggie adverts and the like.

It's one hell of a hard habit to break once you start and as youngsters you don't realise how adictive it is let alone care about the possible consequences :wink:

Seems to me they are just playing at 'being concerned' and aren't really doing ANYTHING at all to really stop people from smoking. :roll:

The Exchequer rakes in about ?8 bllion a year in tobacco duties.

Against that I don't know what smoking related illnesses cost the NHS, and I guess people quote figures to suit their argument....however it is worth pointing out that smokers also pay other taxes that are used to fund the NHS and those who die earlier ease the strain on both the state pension and occupational pension funds.

[ 24.03.2008, 19:13: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

• 4 weeks later...

They'll never ban cigerettes, they make too much money for the government, bet a packet only cost about 10p to make, what a profit but I dont think then that anyone who needs treatment for smoking related or alcohol related illness should be declinded treatment, they paid for it in tax!

None smoker :wink:

That's the next item on the busybody agenda...........passive drinking i.e. the effect that people drinking alcohol has on the lives of non drinkers. The day will come when drinkers will be relegated to the glorified bus shelters that smokers are using at the moment :roll::roll:

Either that, or just give up, and let folk get on with risking THEIR own lives. :x

I would agree, however with smoking it is not just THEIR lives that are at risk. :x As also with drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs. :x

Spot on Robbo 8)

You see I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to kill him/her self.

In the privacy of THEIR own home smokers can puff away to their hearts content. They can breath in the smoke they have just exhaled. If they want to drink until THEIR liver packs in fine. If little 12 and 13 year olds want to drink on park benches every night, as long as they cause no trouble to any one else then great. When they collapse leave em.......... why should us busybodies get involved. If they die they die and if its their parents that gave them the drink charge them with murder. If someone high on drugs climbs a bridge and threatens to throw themselves off then let them. But If I see some drunk come out of a pub and get into a car to drive home then busybody or no busybody I will report him and so should everyone else.

That's the next item on the busybody agenda...........passive drinking i.e. the effect that people drinking alcohol has on the lives of non drinkers. The day will come when drinkers will be relegated to the glorified bus shelters that smokers are using at the moment :roll::roll:

They can't use the bus shelters, they have already wrecked them.

Alas, in the case of the ban on smoking in pubs/clubs; theoretically all the busy bodies should be flocking to use them and they should be packed to the gills - not the case. :roll: Which proves to me, that we're dealing with puritanical zealots, who basically want to wreck the enjoyment of others, rather than create an enviroment they are prepared to fill. :roll:

Good point Asperity, having experienced at first hand what its like to live with alcoholics as a child, although I still feel that people should be able to do what they wish with in reason and be allowed to make an informed choice they also have a responsibility to others and have no right to harm them, in any way including psychologically.

Tricky one.