This season compared to last

burgerman

This season compared to last  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Are we better this season than last

• Yes
    • No

I hope this poll works i have never tried to do one before,

Do Town fans believe the hype from the board and actually think we are better this season,

I for one think we are not, we dont look as dangerous in attack, our disipline at times is awful both in terms of cards but little things like players talking back to the manager somthing that happened i have not seen happen too much of over the years. Some weeks we seem to be better at the back but then we ship in goals like we did today or against Runcorn and Garforth.

Last year we were 9th and from memory we were around 6 points behind the playoffs at this time last season,

This year despite playing more games than everyone else (bar lancaster) we are again 6 points behind the playoffs.

I was going to ask this in October but thought i would give the manager time, but as he keeps on bringing in players i thought i would ask what people thought.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone asked the Manager or a board director what they think???

I spoke to Toby at the Goole game and he said he may join on here if anyone has his details ask him if he will and we could do Q&A unless Gary will give us his thoughts.

I'm surprised Burgerman you mentioned asking it in October after only a short period of time. When i was in Netherlands teams starting with a new manager would easily go through 50 players in season one.

Has anyone asked the Manager or a board director what they think???

I spoke to Toby at the Goole game and he said he may join on here if anyone has his details ask him if he will and we could do Q&A unless Gary will give us his thoughts.

I'm surprised Burgerman you mentioned asking it in October after only a short period of time. When i was in Netherlands teams starting with a new manager would easily go through 50 players in season one.

As i have said on another topic, Shaun was brought in at the end of last year so he could build a team for this season however as we are bringing in players regually how can that build strong team.  

I regually speak to Gary and i have spoken to Toby at the games and i have told him what i thought, i am not one to hide behind a keyboard.

He must have used over 100 players this year including pre season which is were i believe the problems have come from, not having a settled team at that point is always going to cause problems at the start of the year,

Hence why i was going to mention it in October, after the shambles of games against Garforth and Runcorn (two of the worst perofrmances i have seen at town) but i thoughtto give the manager some time, he must have used more players this year than Joey did in his last season.

So it is now his team hence why i have asked the question.

I thought we started pre-season with only one player from last year which was shipton, you can only look at potential players in pre-season matches so unless you have a core squad which i suppose now we have maybe next preseason we'll only need to add 6-8 players. I still think the club will always struggle to sign the best players

However i thought the idea of giving up on the slim hopes on the playoffs last year was so Shaun could build his team at the end of last season and over the summer,

I am not going to hide behind the fact that i was a big supporter of Joey i had seen how far he had brought the club from being a relegation team to playoff contenders. he was unlucky that he kept losing his best players time after time. 

However as i said on the other thread the club are seen in this league as big time charlies, and signings like Kilheeny does make statement to the rest of the league. 

However i thought the idea of giving up on the slim hopes on the playoffs last year was so Shaun could build his team at the end of last season and over the summer,

I am not going to hide behind the fact that i was a big supporter of Joey i had seen how far he had brought the club from being a relegation team to playoff contenders. he was unlucky that he kept losing his best players time after time. 

However as i said on the other thread the club are seen in this league as big time charlies, and signings like Kilheeny does make statement to the rest of the league. 

Why would you be a big supporter of a manager who brought no success in THREE years?

I thought we started pre-season with only one player from last year which was shipton, you can only look at potential players in pre-season matches so unless you have a core squad which i suppose now we have maybe next preseason we'll only need to add 6-8 players. I still think the club will always struggle to sign the best players

No they had Liam Shipton, Mike Reid and Rob Hardwick from last season plust the lad who went to Fleetwood.

If they can sign Ciaran Kilheeney on contract why will they struggle to sign the best players?

Why would you be a big supporter of a manager who brought no success in THREE years?

He was in my opinion building a decent side down at Town remember in his early times at the club  we were fighting down at the lower end of the table,

Also if people are to be believed the budget has increased this year which means Joey would not have lost half his players to Skem but thats in the past now.

However if we use your logic Fergie would not have won anything at old trafford.

It's a weird situation.

How do you judge managers and players and what do you judge them on?

The managers: Each of them have different ways of doing the job. They cannot be called useless as you only have to look at what they are doing now.

Paul is doing well at Clitheroe, and Joey is doing well at Runcorn L.Why there and not here? Who can tell except maybe the managers themselves?

Shaun has had an up and down stop start season. But he has brought in players of a higher calibre than any I have seen at Cantilever Park. They just need time to gel.

For years we have been saying that we need someone who can score goals. Shaun has brought players in with a proven track record to do that. But we are still waiting.

The players: Don't know how to assess them. The defence is generally pretty reliable although the full backs tend to get sucked into the middle and leave themselves open to fast players on the flanks. They tend to try to play themselves out of trouble instead of hoofing it down field. The previous two games they fell asleep and gave away two soft goals that cost points. Yesterday, the first three goals should not have happened and the ball should have been cleared.

Midfield don't seem comfortable with each other yet and the chopping and changing with new players hasn't helped. And the strikers need to be more aware of the options around them and pass instead of taking that extra step and losing possession. (that applies to most of the team).

But all in all, the club as a whole is a lot better than it has been. Things seem to be moving well behind the scenes. The results need to improve on the pitch and there needs to be a big increase in the footfall.More revenue will get better players.

A realistic approach instead of an "expectations" approach might be better.

Although I do get demoralised after losing or drawing games that we are capable of winning, but an hour or two later I step back and think about it less passionately.

Sacking the manager is a no-no. He an Stuart have tons of experience, and who is available who can give instant results that people want?

Let's get behind them and give them time. I would suggest that the teams now competing for the top six have improved on last year so that means we ain't that bad.

Burgerman. he hasn't used 1oo players, not sure of figure, but more like 70. :wink:

Burgerman. he hasn't used 1oo players, not sure of figure, but more like 70. :wink:

As of Curzon Ashton away 53 different names have appeared on the team sheet at least once. No one is ever present. Phil Davies tops the appearnce chart (35 starts, no sub) by one from Peter Dogan (also no sub) and James McCarten 31 + 5. There are six players with twenty odd starting appearances appearances.

For all hat we don't really have a settled side as yet and are still some way short of being the finished article. Overall I don't think we have played as well this season as we did last, when we had more good performances than this when we did get a settled side. I think we need to look longer term for success for this side as it seems pretty obvious we are still a way off that yet, and if it means nest season, or even the one after then so be it. As we are we do not deserve a play off place given this seasons performances to date.

League tables don't lie

Last season Warrington had played 28 games at this stage of the season W 14 D 7 and L 7 Total 49 pts

This season P30 W 11 D 11 L 8 Total  Pts 44

So played two games more and five points less.

Last year the manager was sacked in March.

Not suggesting manager should be sacked this year as had to start from scratch.

But the club needs to be realistic about expectations.

Personally I think the play offs are now out with reach for Warrington Town and it will be a case of building for next year now.

can you paste a link then so we can all see?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/player-registrations

Scroll to the bottom and you can see every player registration by clicking on link.

It is the first port of call for any self respecting club at non-league level to see if a player is registered before putting in seven days.

No trade secrets -not sure why you are so interested?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/more/player-registrations

Scroll to the bottom and you can see every player registration by clicking on link.

It is the first port of call for any self respecting club at non-league level to see if a player is registered before putting in seven days.

No trade secrets -not sure why you are so interested?

Why would i not be interested in something associated to the club i support. I never said it was'nt the first port of call either its something i was'nt aware of hence my reason for asking.