Corrie's Kevin ?

Jean

I've looked at BBC and ITV and there is no news about Kevin Webster's dismissle from Corrie on criminal charges whereas CBC had it on the news so did CTV. Is this a hoax or are the British press kepping quiet about it on the tails of Jimmie Saville ?

Coronation Street actor faces child sex charges
Actor Michael Le Vell faces 19 charges The Associated Press Posted: Feb 15, 2013 10:04 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 15, 2013 1:34 PM ET

Police have charged a longtime star of the British soap opera Coronation Street with child sex offences including rape and indecent assault.

Michael Le Vell, who has played mechanic Kevin Webster on the show for 30 years, faces 19 charges. Police say the charges relate to offences against a child between 2001 and 2010.

The actor released a statement Friday saying he would vigorously contest the charges.

"I will now put all my efforts into clearing my name and proving my innocence," he said.

He was originally arrested and questioned in 2011, but released without charge. Prosecutors said Friday they had overturned that decision.

The 48-year-old actor, whose real name is Michael Turner, is due in court Feb. 27.

The soap, set in a fictional working-class district in northwestern England, is one of the most popular programs on British television.

Broadcaster ITV said Le Vell would not appear in any episodes of Coronation Street pending the outcome of his trial.

© The Associated Press, 2013
icon_cponline07.gif

I don't think there's any kind of cover up Jean because as Wavydavy says, it was headline news here several days ago.

Maybe it's because accusations of child abuse by celebrities is getting so commonplace these days it doesn't attract the same coverage as it did with Jimmy Saville.

Bill :)

Unfortunately what is laughably called our "news" media likes to convict everyone before they have their day in court.

I don't think the media were convicting LeVell, Just stating that he had been arrested after further consideration of the evidence. However men accused of committing such acts should not be named but afforded the same anonymity afforded to women in such cases until after there has been a trial and conviction. After all, mud sticks even after someone has been proved innocent.

• Upvote 1

I think Kevin Webster will suffer a fatal accident at some time in the not too distant future. Rather like Len Fairclough did.

A lot of people forget that the actor who played Len Fairclough was acquitted. As you said , Cleo, mud sticks. The reason given for sacking him from the show was breech of contract in connection with publishing stories about working on Corrie, certainly a convenient way for the bosses to get rid of someone after the scandal.

• 2 weeks later...