Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

It was there Algy. I know for a fact that it was. saw it there many many times because my oldest sister lived on Church Street where Sainsbury's is now. then was Gaskell Street with the entrance to Rylands wire works and opposite side was a row of terraced houses rented to Rylands employees. at the end of that row, on Church Street was the Rylands laboratory entrance on one side and I think the entrance to the wages dept on the other side, then the Prince of Wales pub was on the opposite side in that street. Actually Greenalls gave it to the Liberal Party as a club for a peppercorn price.

Cleo, your not going to believe this, before uploading the above map I had marked one showing the plot that you have marked with an 'X' on School Brow but decided it was wrong and so marked the above map in Gaskell street, what a plonker!, anyway I'm glad you identified it as you seemed to be the only person on here to remember seeing the pub, Well done Florence. :D:wink:

I have redone the map with your markings

PrinceofWalesSchoolBrow_zps91eafe68.jpg.

WOW ! thanks to Cleo and Algy for tracking the whereabouts of the Prince of Wales down.  

If you superimpose todays landscape onto the map no wonder I can't recognise where I took the pic. It looks to be around the modern traffic light T junction between Manchester road and Church street, (where the Sainsbury's petrol station entrance is). The curved fronted building marked 'Rylands Labs' in the map above was last used as CJ Bent tool merchants to help you get your bearings.

Next time I'm around there I'll get my bearings and take a 'now' picture. Again, amazing how much has radically changed in the last few decades.

Once again 'thanks' ! 

The Old Blue Back

I visited Allen St and found a view that looks like Algy's picture. With my back against the Debenham's Golden Square complex, I couldn't stand as far back as I'd like  to get the same perspective, but you can see where the pub stood. On Midland way past the bus station, towards Liverpool Rd between the traffic lights for the Car park and Legh St. left turn. 

oldbluebacknow_zps1c835bdc.jpg

Graz, heres one for your collection, 'The Blue Back' used to be at the side of the old fire station by the Potato Market.

warrington_bluebackinn_zps8030f099.jpg

The Raven

Standing on the pedestrian refuge on the Mersey St/Fennel St roundabout,  looking in the direction of Mersey St

Theravennow_zpsb271ff72.jpg

The Raven

The-Raven1_zpsa946b7e2.jpg

Found this photo on Facebook of the Raven in mid demolition.....

312486_10151485216818336_213334259_n.jpg

Re the Prince of Wales I'm with you now and should have said further up from the main gate at St Elphin's Church on the opposite side off Manchester Road beyond the Lab. The Fustian Cottages were opposite the spot marked "Graveyard" and then the Pub was as marked beyond Rylands Lab. Bent's were in there for a time as a friend of mine works for them and I think were taken over by Bulldog Tools - not sure where their shop is now? So much has changed round there and I haven't been there for ages. I presume the Lab building is still there? I definitely saw it as the Prince of Wales and now it has been mentioned seem to remember it as the Liberal Club latterly and think it moved there from Bewsey Street.

Re the Old Blue Back this was in Allen Street I think and opposite Jack Frodsham's workshop. I think a lady was the last licensee. The name comes from a Regiment of Foot Soldiers.

Peridot

The Old Blue Back

I visited Allen St and found a view that looks like Algy's picture. With my back against the Debenham's Golden Square complex, I couldn't stand as far back as I'd like  to get the same perspective, but you can see where the pub stood. On Midland way past the bus station, towards Liverpool Rd between the traffic lights for the Car park and Legh St. left turn. 

oldbluebacknow_zps1c835bdc.jpg

Graz, this is how it looked prior to the new road being laid, this picture is one of T. Eyres, I shall leave it on until you pass comment then I shall remove it!.

town_centre_zps7996b9a3.jpg

Found this photo on Facebook of the Raven in mid demolition.....

312486_10151485216818336_213334259_n.jpg

Baz,

Thanks for finding and sharing  this soon to be extinct Raven.  I have to say this is the saddest image in the whole thread up to now.  On a happier note, I can just about make out the Devil's Grill in the background, scene of countless purchases of burger with relish ! 

Regards,

Graz

Baz,

Thanks for finding and sharing  this soon to be extinct Raven.  I have to say this is the saddest image in the whole thread up to now.  On a happier note, I can just about make out the Devil's Grill in the background, scene of countless purchases of burger with relish ! 

Regards,

Graz

Graz.... just to tug the heart strings a little more.... back in January last year when my mum died, I found this in my old bedroom... I too was a frequent sampler of the likes of the Demon Burger!!

306794_10151067669809593_290840978_n.jpg

I am told that this photo was taken on the last night the Green Man was open.... My dad on the left with his Brother; Frank....

3f42acbc-4805-4694-b105-04cb5d4b289e.jpg

Wow, Baz, no offence meant here, but your dad looks like Tony Christie and your uncle very much like a young Des O'Conner.