Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

Yes, er well no because the highwayman is no longer there as the prior post shows it is now a tesco direct. but Alford hall is still there. I play domino's for them in winter and bowls for the C team there in summer. Good going really as we have three bowls teams and only one bowling green. It does mean though that we have to play all our home games on a wednesday instead of monday.

Blimey Baz where were you when we were all trying to solve the mystery.......  do try and keep up on here :lol:

James Hogworth (the post/mail boy)  was murdered  in 1791 by highywaymen as he carried mail from Warrington to Manchester and his body was dumped in Bruche Book behind the Highwayman pub. 

Edward Miles (and a couple of others) were eventually tracked down and caught a year or so later and Miles was executed for the murder and his body was hung in the gibbert on Manchester Road near the Twysters.

Here's the topic and quite a few old press cuttings of the time dotted throughout the 6 pages of the topic.

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9325-post-boy-murder/?hl=post boy murder 

Algy's images and maps are no longer available though as he has a tendancy to move them but all the others are still there along with all the info by everyone.

Anyway.... back to Graz's wonderful photo's now................

The Railway, Latchford

Coming out of Latchford centre, just before Boteler High School. At least the developer has picked a name that pays homage to the building's history

therailwaynow_zps6a305857.jpg

In Greenalls days:-

Railway-Latchford_zps3fc59820.jpg

It's only looking at these two pics together I notice a lot of big chimneys seem to have disappeared from the buildings on the left ! (did they get knocked down and re-built ?)

The Black Bear

On Knutsford road (A50) heading towards Latchford, just before the hump back bridge that goes over what was a canal. Building wise not much seems to have changed, but I reckon the interior is different now !  It appears to be the head office of an electrical contractor.

theblackbearnow_zpsa61eb0c1.jpg

The Black Bear in its Greenalls days.  Amongst other things it was the home of the Warrington Motor Cycle Club (WMCC) in the late 80's Early 90's 

Black-Bear_zps5347e4f2.jpg

Graz, until you pointed it out I hadn't noticed the chimneys missing off the terraced cottages next to the Railway, I'm certain that up to the  re-roofing of those cattages fairley recently there used to be a stone cat sitting on the south end of the ridge looking down, someone on our forum had a photo of it and I'm not sure if it was Dizz or not, a typical example of an item history being removed without any consideration to future generations, I'm sorry to say that seems to be the way of the world today!, everything is materialistic, perhaps part of the problem is that residential properties are being bought and modernised for letting by people out of the area and in the majority of cases immigrants who have no idea or care for the history of the local areas, I am not being racial here just realistic.

Have you noticed that one of the four chimney stacks and an ornamental cast iron vent cowling have also disappeared from the roof of the Black Bear.

A view from the opposite end of the cottages, i have ringed where i think the cat was situated.

ScreenShot002_zpsa9a15b43.jpg

A view of the Railway Inn and Latchford Village in 1910 illustrating the cottages with rows of chimney stacks. The shop and cottages on the right were removed sometime in the 1930's. The Railway remains relatively unchanged, thank goodness it remains and is occupied and hasn't been left to deteriorate.

1910LatchfordTheRailwayPublicHouse_zps47

The Railway, Latchford

Coming out of Latchford centre, just before Boteler High School. At least the developer has picked a name that pays homage to the building's history

therailwaynow_zps6a305857.jpg

In Greenalls days:-

Railway-Latchford_zps3fc59820.jpg

It's only looking at these two pics together I notice a lot of big chimneys seem to have disappeared from the buildings on the left ! (did they get knocked down and re-built ?)

Renovation and central heating occured. Chimneys became redundant.

Middlec, have look at page two of this topic, The pub is boarded up!.

So it is Algy. Thanks for that...somewhere along the line I missed that mention on page 2 of the Manx Arms...!

I must have been overwhelmed by the number of past Warrington pubs mentioned here.

We tend to forget just how many have disappeared over the years.

Graz, until you pointed it out I hadn't noticed the chimneys missing off the terraced cottages next to the Railway, I'm certain that up to the  re-roofing of those cattages fairley recently there used to be a stone cat sitting on the south end of the ridge looking down, someone on our forum had a photo of it and I'm not sure if it was Dizz or not, a typical example of an item history being removed without any consideration to future generations, I'm sorry to say that seems to be the way of the world today!, everything is materialistic, perhaps part of the problem is that residential properties are being bought and modernised for letting by people out of the area and in the majority of cases immigrants who have no idea or care for the history of the local areas, I am not being racial here just realistic.

Have you noticed that one of the four chimney stacks and an ornamental cast iron vent cowling have also disappeared from the roof of the Black Bear.

Algy,  

I could be wrong,  but I have a feeling the chimney and the cowling is an optical illusion and actually they belonged to buildings at the back of the Black Bear.  Perhaps one of your maps could shed light on this ?

Regards,

Graz

Algy,  

I could be wrong,  but I have a feeling the chimney and the cowling is an optical illusion and actually they belonged to buildings at the back of the Black Bear.  Perhaps one of your maps could shed light on this ?

Regards,

Graz

Definitely on the roof of the pub Graz, possibly an extractor from the kitchen?.

ScreenShot001_zpse2266a26.jpg

Credit to the guy who has the Black Bear. He converted it without changing the exterior other than the sign.

The Railway is part offices and part cafe. I remember that they had an outdoor at the end of the pub village side.

For the life of me I can't remember whether they knocked the houses down or just renovated them. The cycle shop opposite got converted into houses.

The General Wolfe

Although this building looks very much like the original, according to Mr Wells site it was extensively rebuilt following (partial ?) demolition.  On Church street heading out of town just before the traffic lights at Farrell St/Sainsbury's

GeneralWolfenow_zps6d3e61bc.jpg

As it was before all the demolition.  You have to say comparing 'before' and 'after'  the builders did a pretty good job of faithfully reproducing the external look of the building:-

General-Wolfe_zps61741d4d.jpg

I always thought they had made a rubbish job of the rebuild, but comparing the two photos I have changed my opinion, they did do a good job it's just that the building had no character originally.

Did you know it's original name was "The Spotted Leopard".

Anyone remember "The Packet House" having a room called "The Tudor Room".

Two more pictures of the General Wolfe, the bottom sketch shows how it would have looked in Cromwells visit, note the open sewers running each side of the street with slabs of stone to access across the roadway. The half timbered cottage still stands there at the opening to Sainsbury's. In the top photo you can just see a small shop with the 'Star Kinema' on the extreme left.

GeneralWolfe1970s_zpsc16e2e1c.jpgCromwellslodgings_zpsb43c0394.jpg