Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

I've never heard of the 'Old House at Home'.   Where was that then and was it a normal pub as it's name makes it sound more like something that was set up in someones front room.  

Harry, I agree with Algy so please do tell your story as you have never bored me with anything you have ever posted on here  :)

Dizz it was a normal public house (Harry might object to this description), it was opposite the Palace theatre/cinema at Friars Gate, see map.

OHAH_zpsd09dc52c.jpg

Harry & Co

I was a youngish boy when taking these snaps in the 70's, with no real knowledge of pubs  so unless the "Old House at Home" stood out like a sore thumb I wouldn't have recognised it as a pub hence (sadly) no photo's of it.

Darren

Thanks for the feedback.  I remember at the time thinking "why does my dad want me to do this ?"  but it was a bit of fun so I did it anyway.  Long after his passing I now realise he was a far sighted man who realised that the town was about to change out of all recognition from the small Lancashire town he grew up in.  I really wish I had taken thousands of pics of all the old buildings of the town centre I remember, but sadly most of my pocket money went on Airfix kits.  Never mind, I did take a few photo's of interest, and I am very pleased to share them with fellow Warringtonians  who are interested in our recent past.

Regards,

Graz

• Upvote 2

The Dog and Dart

Out of Latchford, just over the swing bridge, heading out on the A50 Knutsford road towards the Motorway.  Before you get to the shops on the right and the mini-Tesco (that used to be a Citroen garage) you see this new housing on the left:-

DogandDartnow_zps417f53bc.jpg

Taken from the same location, corner of Maresfield Ave, here is the Dog and Dart.  The lamp post and bus stop don't seem to have moved.  Until I went back, in my minds eye I thought the new(ish) Springbrook pub had been built on what was the Dog and Dart but they are clearly in different locations:-

The-Dog-and-Dart_zps3a083842.jpg

• Upvote 1

The story isn't of much interest.  I was made acting police sergeant and my instruction was to go and sort out the pubs in the town centre as they were 'full of under-age drinkers'.  

I picked up a constable and direct from the police station, strode into the Old House at home like a tornado.  There were no customers whatsoever.  Must have been the licensees night off cos behind the bar were two of the sweetest old ladies you have ever seen.

I was dumbstruck and the silence was broken by one of the old dears who offered us a drink, probably blissfully unaware of my evil intentions - which of course we refused, and left feeling more than a bit sheepish.( the Postern Gate wasn't built at that time)

I might add that it was one of my very rare bad nights, cos we also went into the Cheshire Cheese and a low beam knocked my helmet off.

Happy days

The story isn't of much interest.  I was made acting police sergeant and my instruction was to go and sort out the pubs in the town centre as they were 'full of under-age drinkers'.  

I picked up a constable and direct from the police station, strode into the Old House at home like a tornado.  There were no customers whatsoever.  Must have been the licensees night off cos behind the bar were two of the sweetest old ladies you have ever seen.

I was dumbstruck and the silence was broken by one of the old dears who offered us a drink, probably blissfully unaware of my evil intentions - which of course we refused, and left feeling more than a bit sheepish.( the Postern Gate was built at that time)

I might add that it was one of my very rare bad nights, cos we also went into the Cheshire Cheese and a low beam knocked my helmet off.

Happy days

By the time the Postern Gate was built I think The Old House At Home was then an Estate Agents.

The Dog and Dart

Until I went back, in my minds eye I thought the new(ish) Springbrook pub had been built on what was the Dog and Dart but they are clearly in different locations:-

Graz the 'old' Dog and Dart was where the Springbook now is.

However, the old one was knocked down and replaced with the one in your picture further up the road. Algy uploaded a picture of the old one some time ago but it is not viewable on here now. Maybe he will upload it again on here for you :wink:

As for the one in your photo well it's strange how time and memory can play tricks as I remember the dog and dart being there and being knocked down and replaced with the flats....but it's only now when I see your photo that I remember it actually looking like that. For some reason my mind remembered it being older looking rather than a modern 'house like' boring box.

No sooner said than done Dizz.

The first is an enlargement from the second photo.

The old Dog stood just about where the west car park of the Springbrook is and the small house is the original Toll House for Knutsford Road that is now offices and was peviously a paper shop.

GrappenhallTheOldDogampDartpub_zps7d0f23GrappenhallTheOldDogampDart_zps58bdfc6e.

• Upvote 1

I didn't realise that the Toll place became the paper shop. Last owners were the Sherlocks if memory serves me well. Never to old to learn. Thanks Algy.

Peter, the Toll house wasn't the paper shop, they demolished it and built the paper shop on the site but further back from the road, your correct it was Jim Sherlocks, they retired and still live in Grappenhal I occasionally see him walking to the shops.

You were quick uploading there Algy :wink: 

I was sat in a car park for a long time this afternoon and saw your prompt post but I was on my mobile (I don't usually use my mobile to view the forum but I can) and was going to reply then but strangly I couldn't see any of the photo's on here or on other topics via my mobile even when I logged in. 

I'm back on my PC now... hurrah

Shame they knocked down the one Dog & Dart in your photo as it had far more (look wise) about it than the newer one. 

I don't think I've ever asked this, appologies if you have said in the past though,  but was the one in your photo built as a pub or did it start out as a house (or maybe 2/3) ?  

Vicky Vaults reposted - I have edited to show the correct "now" pic - Oops !

Victoria Vaults

Mersey Street, opposite DFS furniture shop, just before the two bridge roundabout  

VictoriaVaultsnow_zpsffecad5d.jpg

Not a very high quality photo, the negative is damaged.  The "Vicky Vaults"

Victoria-Vaults_zps155bb8d4.jpg