Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

• 1 month later...
Can anyone remember the name of the pub that was at the corner of Orchard Street and Church Street or have a photo? - a friend of mine ran a motorcycle business from the buildng in later years...

Peridot

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.  There was a pub, probably a beer house on the corner of Orchard St and Church St, but it closed in 1953, probably before most of the members were even born.  It was called the Gladstone Arms.  I can't remember it but I remember my dad telling me he had been in it.  The last landlady was called Beatrice Spencer who went to be the first landlady of the newly opened Spa Brook in Orford.  Hope this is of help.

• 5 months later...
I must add that I do love your pictures Graz, I used to cycle to school down Dallam Lane so remember the British Tar and the Vulcan but its great to see images of the other pubs I had simply forgotten.

I seem to remember that there were two pubs virtually side by side in Dallam Lane , one was the Vulcan and the other the Farmers Arms and virtually opposite the Three Pigeons but down a side street was the Greyhound.

John Martin Varley was one of the old time baddies.  He would fight you like mad if you arrested him but bore no malice afterwards.  All the drinking fighters in those days were the same - and they fought fair.

Happy days

I remember Mr Varley, I paid him his sickness benefit, presumably so he could get drunk and fight policemen. Well everybody's got to have a hobby !

Do you remember another local character , Henry Marshall, the nicest man when sober but a handful when drunk

Does anyone remember a pub on Horsemarket street between the Bluebell and the Hop Pole, I think it was called the Central and was painted a sort of dark red colour. Walking home at closing time I used to see regularly one or two of it customers lying drunk outside. Strangely I never went in.