Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

I can't find one anywhere Algy.

If it helps though try looking at any old photo's you may have of either Barbauld Street, St Austins Lane as it joins Barbauld, or any showing Friars Green. 

The 1911 census has it listed as

Schedule 74 .... Barbauld Street - ' Old House Public House'  (head of house Elizabeth Mullins, widow, age 48, Beer House Keeper and employer'.  Thomas Mullins (son age 23) was the licensee manager and Frederick Mullins (son age 20) was the assistant manager. 

The census shows it as having 20 rooms which seems a lot as there were only 6 people living there... BUT note... the 2 schedule returns and original census papers before it show 2 lodging houses, one with 67 people living in it and one with 50 people living in it.  I can't be sure but as neither of those actually have a page showing the number of rooms I'm wondering if there were part of the building the pub was in but under different 'heads'.   Must have been a large building though/

1901 census has it listed as

schedule 105 House number 4 Friars Green ' Old House at Home Inn' (head of house Thomas Mullins, age 38. Beer House Keeper.

schedule 104 prior to the old house is shown as being 25 Friars Green 'Star and ?Garter? Inn.  Head Thomas Gibbons age 42.

1891 census has it listed as

schedule 133 - Friars Green 'The Old House at Home' (head George Crawford age 51, Head Inkeeper)

1881 census has

4 Friars Green (as mentioned above on 1901) as having head Nancy Monks age 72, widower, Beerseller (but it doesn't actually call it the 'old h at h' )

1871 census has

Nancy as being at 3 Friars Green,  Beer Retailer  (again no record of anything called the 'old h at h' )

1861 census has

Nancy & Hubby Simeon Monks at 1 & 3 Friars Green (Simeon was age 51 and a rope manufacturer employing 10 hands).... which again makes me think that maybe the lodging houses I mentioned on the 1911 info above may have been connected and maybe Nancy just ran a little pub from what was her large home, or nearby, when her hubby died and that's how it got it's name.  Yeah I know before you say anything :lol:

I'm starting to confuse myself now so wont say anymore or go any further back.  Sorry :wink:  

That is actually quite reasonable for a "Free" house. We were paying almost £5 000 a month for the Ring O' Bells and had to pay well over the odds for all beers.

Good Grief, walking away from that must have felt like losing the weight of the world off your shoulders, there can't be much pleasure in being a landlord these days!

• 2 years later...

Ref. posts 219, 220 & 231. I too remember Mr Cooper in Bewsey Road and his cadaverous appearance. Didn't know until now why he looked that way. Cheerful chap though. I used to go across there from Greenings offices to buy lunch. Almost always a pork pie and a Kit Kat. The pork pies were delivered to his shop every day still warm on trays, and so were a bit runny inside. I also remember him making sandwiches to order. A man reportedly came in and ordered a cheese and onion sarnie, back when onions used to bite back and linger on your breath. Mr Cooper (Harry?) asked him conversationally whether he liked onions. Not really, the customer replied, but they stop people mithering me in the afternoon.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/2/2013 at 11:56 PM, harry hayes said:

The Prince of Wales

My first thought was off Manchester road near Morley street, between that and the old Rylands theatre.  Possibly Whalley street if memory serves.

They had some wonderful pictures of old Warrington rugby league and tourist teams on the walls.

The majority of older people have been fully vaccinated, while daily Covid-19 deaths have dropped below those from road accidents, new figures show. 

Happy days

Spot on.. Bobby Wanbon was landlord once before he move to the Old Ball

image.png