Sign in to follow this  
Graz

Lost Pubs of Warrington

The Dolphin hotel is the nursery where Ella went!!! Closed for a long time now though

Yes it was Baz, just going to post that doh, I used to go in there as well ha, must have sold good beer.

its 115 Bewsey Road Algy, on the corner of Pitt Street.  I have a unit right opposite it as well so should have remembered.

Yes Mr Cooper did Baz and he also had dark rings round his eyes which made him look even more sinister. I think he had a heart condition which caused it.The shop was a goldmine when Greenings was in full swing and also did sandwiches at lunchtime.

Peridot

• Upvote 1

Oh wow, great photo. Did you take it?

Thank you, yes I took it, at 3 o'clock this morning. 

Its something to do when sleep won't come Tracey.  The police give me funny looks sometimes but no trouble.

PJ, I have sent you a PM, ignore it as you are obviously aware of what is in the content. Great Pics though.

PJ, I have sent you a PM, ignore itas you are obviously aware of what is in the conteny.

Algy, I replied thanks mate.

You made the Manx Arms look attractive - that's quite an achievement!

There is beauty in everything but not everybody can see it :)

Can anyone remember the name of the pub that was at the corner of Orchard Street and Church Street or have a photo? - a friend of mine ran a motorcycle business from the buildng in later years...

Peridot

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.  There was a pub, probably a beer house on the corner of Orchard St and Church St, but it closed in 1953, probably before most of the members were even born.  It was called the Gladstone Arms.  I can't remember it but I remember my dad telling me he had been in it.  The last landlady was called Beatrice Spencer who went to be the first landlady of the newly opened Spa Brook in Orford.  Hope this is of help.

I've just had a look at the old phone books on Ancestry and it confirms all you say. Beatrice Spencer is at the Gladstone Arms and from 1955 onwards she's at the Spa Brook.

Not for much longer.... isn't the Spa Brook being demolished soon?

Great pics of the old pubs, Warrington has changed quite a bit. We need to keep our old pubs they have knocked too many down. :lol:

I must add that I do love your pictures Graz, I used to cycle to school down Dallam Lane so remember the British Tar and the Vulcan but its great to see images of the other pubs I had simply forgotten.

I seem to remember that there were two pubs virtually side by side in Dallam Lane , one was the Vulcan and the other the Farmers Arms and virtually opposite the Three Pigeons but down a side street was the Greyhound.

John Martin Varley was one of the old time baddies.  He would fight you like mad if you arrested him but bore no malice afterwards.  All the drinking fighters in those days were the same - and they fought fair.

Happy days

I remember Mr Varley, I paid him his sickness benefit, presumably so he could get drunk and fight policemen. Well everybody's got to have a hobby !

Do you remember another local character , Henry Marshall, the nicest man when sober but a handful when drunk

Does anyone remember a pub on Horsemarket street between the Bluebell and the Hop Pole, I think it was called the Central and was painted a sort of dark red colour. Walking home at closing time I used to see regularly one or two of it customers lying drunk outside. Strangely I never went in.

Yes....But I was to young to go in... I seem to remember most Walkers pubs were rough and ready and Greenalls were more quiet....

Just what I overheard grownups saying at the time...