Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

The Old Ball

Hello and many thanks to all the forum members who in another thread expressed interest in few photographs I took as a boy with my first camera nearly 40 years ago.  In common with a lot of people I mourn the passing of  some of the 'establishments' I captured all those years ago.  Sadly, today there is little or no physical evidence these places ever existed.  So for a bit of fun and to rekindle a few memories I am going to scan what old photos I can find and  revisit the sites to show what they look like today.  Perhaps other forum members can search their archives and join in !

Regards,

Graz

Roundabout near  "The Rodney":-

old-ball-now_zpsf7af0a0b.jpg

The Old Ball :- 

Old-Ball1_zpsdfa0e7f1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Is it better (for the sake of keeping the youngsters interested) to call it 'Now and Then'  photography ?

I seem to remember the Old Ball had a big function room upstairs - I'm sure I went to a few disco's and at least one wedding 'do' there.  It's a shame nothing has been done with the site - I wonder if the pub would have been viable today with its close proximity to the rugby ground ?

Regards,

Graz 

Having a comparison from then to now is great as memory, especially mine, tends to play tricks on you and what you think is right turns out to be just a mixture of memories that have presented themselves as right.

As for the old ball one of my relatives was a regular darts player there and i am sure i have been to at least two functions in the upstairs, probably weddings.

It was one of my regular stopping places in my youth when walking down to town for a Friday night out. Swift "half" and the off to the next one along for another swift "Half". given all the pubs along the way from where I lived to town centre it was a wonder we ever made it there let alone spent the rest of the night arguing about where we would spend our money for the best chance of getting lucky. (never did manage to get paired off but every week with the optimism of youth off I would go with the rest of the gang)

as Harry would say "Happy days" or in this case nights, what I could remember of them anyhow :mrgreen:

Great posts/pics Graz and lovely to be able to see the comparrisons of what was once there compared to now and helps me with my bearings too :wink:.

Quite sad to see though too as it seems from your pics that we have gone backwards rather than forwards and such a shame that those buildings (especially the Midland) were pretty much knocked down to be relaced by 'nothingness' really.

More please :)

The Midland Hotel

Standing near the motorcycle park under the bridge at Central station,  looking in the direction of ASDA :-

Midlandhotelnow_zpsc701e347.jpg

The same view in the 70's :-

The-Midland_zps5ae0f81c.jpg 

Wow look free parking on that sign.  I wonder which dimwit or bunch of dimwits got rid of the free parking in  the town centre, any ideas?? Perhaps Observer could shed a little light?

Many of the pubs back then had function rooms for weddings and parties but times change and these days most don't want the local pub and seem to be opting for more exotic locations. Not saying this caused the demise of our towns pubs but it certainly doesn't help. The Old Ball had one of the most popular such rooms and would be booked up most weekends right throughout the year. I had my engagement party there while my wedding reception was at the then upmarket Pattern Arms (opposite Bank Quay Station). 

Bill :)

The Longford

On Winwick road near Alban retail estate standing on the corner near where Pizza Hut is, looking towards Densham Ave, Northway.  This used to be an Audi showroom before becoming a Skoda showroom

TheLongfordnow_zps3bc92269.jpg

In former times,  The Longford

The-Longford_zpsd3b703f3.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Riverside

On Chester road, roughly half way between Brian Bevan roundabout (is it still called that ?) and Gainsborough Road

Riverside-now_zpsae5856a2.jpg

The Riverside, one of the few pubs you could park underneath :-

The-Riverside_zps6bde831a.jpg

It's only looking at the two pictures I realise the trees have been removed. I knew there was something different about Chester Rd ! The telegraph post is lasting well though.

• Upvote 1

I'd never noticed the trees had gone either Graz. 

The old Riverside pub photo brings back many happy memories as I used to go in there quite a bit with my cousins and my other half that 'was' at the time.  We used to play pool there too and I was pretty good much to the annoyance and embarrasment of those those who thought a girlie couldn't play and would be easy to beat :wink:    

One not so happy memory is finishing up with a bruised and swollen cheak bone after walking out of there one cold winters night and walking straight into a lamp post.  OUCH. 

Well ok so it was in the days of short skirts or skin tight jeans and leg warmers (weird fashion looking back on it) and it was so damn cold I stretched one of my leg warmers over my head and face to keep me warm :oops: and my boyfriend did promise that he would guide me home safely as I couldn't see a thing as I clung onto his arm... HE LIED and it hurt.... and yes he did do it on purpose  :lol:      

Thanks for bringing back those memories :)

:lol:  :lol: I'm sure we walked further than that Bill but as I couldn't see I have no idea.. maybe he just walked me round the carpark :P

Blimey I hope that wasn't me though as I might get sent a bill now to straighten it !!  In my defence I was only about 8 1/2 stone at the time so doubt I could have done that........  I probably could now though with a run up ha ha :lol: