Meteor explosion

Cleopatra

Before you get the volunteers position Bill ...... were you any good at the  'asteroids' game that used to be in many pubs years ago. It was an electronic game where each player sat opposite on the table and used a ball controller to move the little triangle around the screen and blast away the approaching asteroids.  What level did you get up to as we need to know you are upto saving us all :wink:   :lol:  

Blimey I'd forgotten all about that game until you post ... I was addicted to it.

There are a number of " theories" being proposed by scientists; Bill's suggested one. But the first requirement is to identify and track any threat. The concern must be, that this particular rock, was missed by the professionals, yet spotted by some amateurs.  The longer humanity lasts, given continued advances in science and technology, no doubt the better it's chances of countering such an event.

The thing is that events like this are capable of ending all life on earth and yet apparently there’s more money spent downloading novel ringtones for mobile phones than is spent on the entire detection and defence against them. 

I suppose it was a bit lucky that the one over Russia came in at the angle it did otherwise something that size could have caused massive devastation. A near miss by a real big one and close shave by a smaller one both in the same day should be a bit of a wake up call for countries in the world to unite in a program to try and offer some protection from this interstellar threat.    

Bill :)

Lol asperity. When I read that I was thinking you should have read before posting, Bill. Reads like you were advocating detection and defence against ringtones for mobile phones. Mind you, when I hear the mobile phones ringing anywhere and everywhere around, I do think there should be some defence against them.

Amazing how people read the newspapers, watch TV news and listen to the radio but STILL get it wrong. I had a hell of a job convincing two blokes that the incident in Russian was a meteorite and NOT the asteroid!  One was holding a newspaper with the headline "Thousand injured" and telling me at the same time that a thousand had been killed!

The one that hit, was a baby one; the "near miss" was larger, sufficient to eliminate a city the size of London. The one that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs was obviously considerably larger still;  throwing up a cloud of ash and debris that eventually surrounds the planet, blocking out sunlight, causing a nuclear winter, killing all (or most) plant life, which has a knock on effect up the food chain.  So, a really deep bunker, with several years food supply; plus an assortment of plants and animals (Noah's Ark!), might allow a few to survive.  The odds on it happening are probably greater than winning the lottery; but eh, look on the bright side; the sun is estimated to explode in 50 million years time anyway! :lol: