Horse burgers

asperity

I dont think it is illegal to sell horse meat -but it is against the law to pass it off as another meat.

Iwas in the trade for 45 years and have seen a lot of things going on but i have never handled horse-meat

there was a couple in St Helens up to the mid 50s but that was all they sold.

The last government stopped the FSA testing for the likes of horsemeat etc in 2003. The EU system of checking (which our FSA has to follow as we are members of the EU) consists of a paperwork trail only, which makes it relatively easy for criminals to introduce horsemeat into the system (presumably brown envelopes and threats are also used). However don't let reality cloud your delusions Lt Kije :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we have to rely on a convoluted and tortuous food chain, that stretches across Europe or even further afield; it's no wonder it's open to abuse and regulation and monitoring is made more difficult; plus all those food miles.  Why don't the s/markets just keep it simple and source LOCAL produce wherever possible and label it so - at least we'd have a choice.

• Upvote 1

Asp. You left reality behind years ago :wink:

Can you prove the FSA has to follow the EU, It is independent from the UK government as you pointed out

Here you are Lt Kije, work your way through this:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002R0178:EN:NOT

Regulation 178/2002 whereby the European Food Safety Authority was established. As a good European you will be well aware that EU legislation over-rides any national legislation and the EFSA was set up to take the lead role in food safety in the member states.

That article comes from the Spectator Magazine Asp, and as you are so fond of saying is Opinion

your other link says this

Regulation (EC) No 178/2002 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 January 2002 laying down the general principles and requirements of food law, establishing the European Food Safety Authority and laying down procedures in matters of food safety

It lays Down procedures, proves nothing

Obviously you haven't read past the opening paragraph then. As an ardent Europhile you are aware that EU regulations over-ride national law and obviously the establishment of this Authority makes it THE authority on food safety in all member states and, as such, gives it the lead role in these matters.

In any case the products that were found to be part horsemeat were produced in countries outside the UK so our FSA had no role in testing the processes.

You can't cherry pick the bits of the EU you like and sweep the embarrasing bits under the carpet Lt Kije.

Seems they have found horse DNA in schools hotels and prisons (although why the hell we are even feeding scum prisoners meat is beyond me anyway...) so it would appear to be correct in saying if you have had any kind of minced beef in the past 12 months or more, it is highly possible you have had horse too..... even the posh restaraunts may be worried now; particularly those with an a la carthorse menu!!

Thought you had dual nationality Asp

So no proof then, you palm opinion as proof.

The FSA could have tested if they had chosen to Asp, they chose to look for bugs in the food instead.

Baz

Think your right, we all have probably eaten horse at some time in the last 12 months

I went for a chippy dinner today and while there I asked the owner how the sales of his meat pies were doing.

He said that he hadn't sold a single meat pie since all this kicked off but on the plus side, people were buying more fish.

Bill :)

I went for a chippy dinner today and while there I asked the owner how the sales of his meat pies were doing.

He said that he hadn't sold a single meat pie since all this kicked off but on the plus side, people were buying more fish.

Bill :)

Horses for courses I guess!!