Horse burgers

asperity

Or, in this case, we decide its OK to eat horse meat.  I take the point made earlier that if horsemeat can get into the food supply, so can lots of other things, but I don't see why horse meat should be any more objectionable than cow meat, sheep meat, pig meat. They are all four legged animals and they can all look cute sometimes.

Personally, I never eat burgers because I have long suspected that they are made from cast-offs. If you eat fresh meat rather than processed meat, you've no problem. But, of course, that means proper cooking rather than eating convenience foods

Or, in this case, we decide its OK to eat horse meat.  I take the point made earlier that if horsemeat can get into the food supply, so can lots of other things, but I don't see why horse meat should be any more objectionable than cow meat, sheep meat, pig meat. They are all four legged animals and they can all look cute sometimes.

Personally, I never eat burgers because I have long suspected that they are made from cast-offs. If you eat fresh meat rather than processed meat, you've no problem. But, of course, that means proper cooking rather than eating convenience foods

I bet your barbeques are a hoot Adam!! a bit of Beethoven and a nice rump steak  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Remember the swift way that British beef was black-listed by all and sundry across the Channel ?

Why on earth doesn't our  Governemnt stop this other bloody stuff coming in to the country ? If Sainsbury's/ Morrisons  can source the food they sell within the UK then stop all this other crap from being imported from as far afield as Romania for God's sake! The very mention of Romanian meat fills me with dread.

Boris, the reason the government isn't able to stop the import of this meat is because they have to prove it is harmful to health. Distasteful as we might find the thought of eating horsemeat in this country, it is a fact that it is part of the menu in a lot of our neighbouring countries and hasn't been shown to be harmful. British beef was blacklisted because of BSE. Okay there is an element of fraud in this, as the products are advertised as being beef not horse, but apart from that what is the government supposed to do? Under EU regulations our FSA isn't allowed to subject imports to tests more stringent to those imposed on domestic produce. Fact.

To be honest if I've eaten horse meat without realising then I'm not really bothered and suspect I probably have considering the latest find(u)s.  But like you say Asp it is 100% wrong that it could be found in foods labeled as being beef and it is also wrong that it has taken so long to track the source of the horse meat back to Romania. 

The only thing that does worry me is that this meat has somehow entered the food chain when it shoudn't have.  A criminal investigation is now under way and if it was added intentionally then what's to say other products aren't affected or other things aren't in foods that have not been checked... was my chicken really chicken today ?? (it tasted nice anyway if it wasn't)  or maybe even something really dangerous could not slip into our food chain without anyone noticing.  How about a sprinkling of added protein.. called botulism for example ? 

When will the results be available from the tests to see if the horse meat contaminated traces of Bute as no animal treated with that is allowed in the food chain as that can be harmful to humans.... and will they actually tell us it the results are possitive as it might cause mass hysteria and have a huge impact on some food sales and trust.

Got to be good for British farmers though as more people might start buying home grown beef and other produce now... providing it's not been exported and then imported back again of course  :wink:

Of course another part of the problem is that nobody now can really be certain of the history of the meat. It is now emerging that meat has been stored for years in freezers in Eastern Europe and then transhipped several times, possibly (probably) having the paperwork "adjusted" each time. So are we being properly protected by our membership of the EU? I shall leave that to your imagination. If you have ever heard the expressions "paperwork exercise" and "ticking the right boxes" you will know what I mean. :wink: ;-) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We used to send our animals (on the hoof) to French slaughter houses, and the French then sent it back as meat. However, it seems they've sub-contracted the slaughter to the Romanians; and they've suddenly got a surplus of redundant horses, due to a law banning horse and carts from the roads! :lol:

Here is a link to the food standards agency Asp, it tells you what the do in the UK, and their responsibilities

http://www.food.gov.uk/about-us/#.URj0IREgGSM

I see you are using your usual tactic of ignoring the question.

Regardless of being in the EU or not the UK would still have been eating horse meat because we were not even testing for it. Rightly or wrongly the government tasked the FSA to look for pathogens in our food instead of testing the DNA, I am not saying this was the wrong decision, as it looks like this is turning out to be fraud where paper work has been deliberately changed.

Not being in the EU would not have saved us from eating Horse, as you are implying.

Looking for some fish, I went into a local store today and saw some frozen fish labelled: "Young's White Fish."  I wanted to know what sort of white fish, so I read the small print. Didn't find out what sort of white fish it was, but did learn that Young's is a trading name of Findus and that the fish had been processed in China.  Needless to say, I did not buy.

But it just goes to show that if we buy processed or frozen food, we have no idea what we are eating or where it came from.

Baz - I certainly wouldn't be having burgers at a barbecue nor would I play Beethoven or any other music. I would consider the neighbours!