One for the local Councillors... what happened to this?

Bazj

I know there are a few councillors on here so I would like to ask what happened to this:

67923_10200537676029637_316790143_n.jpg

In case you don't know what it is, it is the top off one of the chimneys that formed Cockhedge Mills and it used to sit roughly where the bus station is now. When they built the current and unbelieveably stupidly designed bus station, this piece of Warringtons history was removed and hasn't been seen since. There are rumours that it could still be in storage somewhere in Warrington. Can we ask some questions in Council to find out what happened to it and if it is still in existence, can it be returned to the streets and used again as a meeting point as it was previously?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

I know there are a few councillors on here so I would like to ask what happened to this:

In case you don't know what it is, it is the top off one of the chimneys that formed Cockhedge Mills and it used to sit roughly where the bus station is now. When they built the current and unbelieveably stupidly designed bus station, this piece of Warringtons history was removed and hasn't been seen since. There are rumours that it could still be in storage somewhere in Warrington. Can we ask some questions in Council to find out what happened to it and if it is still in existence, can it be returned to the streets and used again as a meeting point as it was previously?

Thanks

I'm all for that Baz!.

An artifact from one of the oldest factories in Warrington town centre and if it exists should be displayed in a prominent area in the town centre.

Facts regarding the Cockhedge Cotton Mill. -

Cockhedge Mill was a large combined mill (spinning, calico weaving and dying) owned by Armitage and Rigby Ltd (1888). The buildings were commenced in late 1831, but a large fire on 18 June 1872 caused a rebuild. The article about the fire in the Illustrated London News,. It was then a five-storey building employing 900 persons. The report said there were 14,000 throstle spindles and 21,000 mule spindles. The steam engine and 6,000 spindles were saved, but 420 people lost their jobs.

The lithograph below clearly shows the mill chimney in 1872 with the fire raging in the mill building.

cockhedge_mills_fire_zpsd4c892e3.jpg

1906theVictoriaBridge_zpsc1c16009.jpg

........ this piece of Warringtons history was removed and hasn't been seen since. There are rumours that it could still be in storage somewhere in Warrington. Can we ask some questions in Council to find out what happened to it and if it is still in existence, can it be returned to the streets and used again as a meeting point as it was previously?

Thanks

I'm sure someone told me the council have a large storage unit somewhere full of old artefacts from Warrington's past. I can't quite remember where they said it was but I seem to remember it being somewhere near Bridge Foot. The council should now though :wink:

Maybe the chimney top is there although from your picture it looks pretty big and would have taken some moving.

... or it may have gone to a similar resting place that Stockton Heaths two historic Caldwell's Forge machines finished up when they were simply 'removed' one night. :evil: That's one for another topic though.

Hope you find it Baz as it's a nice reminder of Warrington's industrial past.

Baz.... I googled the Cockhedge Mill Chimney and found reference to it in some readers letters on the Warr Guardians readers letters page.

In Oct 2007 someone stated that

IN reply to F Collins' letter regarding Cockhedge Mill chimney.

A Barry Etam from Warrington Borough Council, through one of his colleagues, informed me that it was in store in their depot at Stockton Heath, and that it will be put back on the land opposite Central Station when the new Winwick Street complex is finalised.

I realise that was a long time ago but that's where it was then. 

The only depot I know of in SH is the one next to the tip.  Maybe it's still there and you could ask the chaps there if you've got any rubbish to drop off when your bin gets full :wink:

One of the stories featured in the ubiquitous 'Outrages Fatal and Other' tells the story of the murder of Betty Minshull, landlady of the Legh Arms (next to the Barley Mow) her killer stole some of her possessions and dumped them in the reservoir next to the mill. The Police drained it to recover the evidence. 

I'm sure someone told me the council have a large storage unit somewhere full of old artefacts from Warrington's past. I can't quite remember where they said it was but I seem to remember it being somewhere near Bridge Foot. The council should now though :wink:

Maybe the chimney top is there although from your picture it looks pretty big and would have taken some moving.

... or it may have gone to a similar resting place that Stockton Heaths two historic Caldwell's Forge machines finished up when they were simply 'removed' one night. :evil: That's one for another topic though.

Hope you find it Baz as it's a nice reminder of Warrington's industrial past.

"A large storage unit full of old artefacts", it's almost like we need a Museum to house this stuff ......

:lol:  :P  Maybe 'artefacts' was the wrong word.  I think it was bigger stuff from old buildings and things... or was it... ooh I'm getting myself all confused now... maybe I deamt it

Dizz, your in danger of getting yourself into an inwards directional spin and you know where that will get you don't you!. :wink::D

I know the storage place you refer to near Bridge Foot Dizzy.... I have been in there and worked in there too... it is full of stuff, quite large objects that would take up way too much space in the small museum we have. As for the place at Stockton Heath, I will ask and see what I can find out!

Maybe someone at the council (Or Livewire as it is now running the museum) should be tasked with taking photographs of all the items that are in long term storage and getting them online so we can all see what there is hidden away

• Upvote 1

My Museum comment was tongue in cheek, I don't actually think they could squeeze architectural detritus into the current museum! The point I was trying to make is that if this stuff is historically important or interesting it really should be available to us in some way, either online as you say or they could open the storage facility for viewing or just get their fingers out and find permanent places of public display.

• Upvote 1

I know the storage place you refer to near Bridge Foot Dizzy.... I have been in there and worked in there too... it is full of stuff, quite large objects that would take up way too much space in the small museum we have. As for the place at Stockton Heath, I will ask and see what I can find out!

Maybe someone at the council (Or Livewire as it is now running the museum) should be tasked with taking photographs of all the items that are in long term storage and getting them online so we can all see what there is hidden away

Oooh... what sort of things are in there Baz ?  I'm intrigued

I completely agree with you about someone at the museum/council etc taking pictures of the items and making them available for people to see ONLINE.   I agree with you too Tracey.

If they don't have time I'd be more than happy to go along with my camera and take some pics and I'm sure Algy would come with me too and he could do the write ups about what's what and the history of where they came from as he knows everything about everything in Warrington and far more than the museum ever tell us :)  Gosh Algy.. we'd be in our element eh :wink:

They shouldn't just be hidden away, and that goes for all the other stuff stored at the museum too that is out of sight on visits but could be catalogued with online pictures available. 

Oooh... what sort of things are in there Baz ?  I'm intrigued

I completely agree with you about someone at the museum/council etc taking pictures of the items and making them available for people to see ONLINE.   I agree with you too Tracey.

If they don't have time I'd be more than happy to go along with my camera and take some pics and I'm sure Algy would come with me too and he could do the write ups about what's what and the history of where they came from as he knows everything about everything in Warrington and far more than the museum ever tell us :)  Gosh Algy.. we'd be in our element eh :wink:

They shouldn't just be hidden away, and that goes for all the other stuff stored at the museum too that is out of sight on visits but could be catalogued with online pictures available. 

I would willingly cooperate Dizz, but for goodness sake don't go over the top with your explanation regarding my knowledge of Warrington past, there are many out there that are far more knowledgeable on the towns history and probably on here as well, I have the knack of rooting out information to specific questions and in many ways the photos that I have accumulated over the years help me a great deal, however I am not a historian, just interested in the towns history and the people that have lived here. Also don't let us disrespect the museum and it's staff, yes they could make more information available to the towns public on the web, however I'm sure the staff there are stretched  to breaking point as all other businesses are today.

I raised this years ago (before I was a councillor) before the new bus station was built and was told it was in store and would be resited - I can't see why it didn't go where the flower beds are at the Interchange. I had a contact number for someone who knew where it was (!) and last year tried to call but he's sadly died. Where it could now go is another matter. Historically dubious, but if it is still restorable and a home could be found, I'd paint it brighter colours - maybe it could replace that daft plinth with the cut-off birds' legs near Wickes. I understand this thread has already been picked up by officers so the hunt is on!

Oooh... you wouldn't really paint it bright colours would you ? 

Good that the thread has already been picked up by council officers and the hunt is now on by them.... here's hoping Baz finds it first :lol: (sorry only kidding :oops: ) 

There's a plaque on the front of it which reads

'Warrington Borough Council 1983 - To mark their long association with Warrington the Armitage and Rigby Company Ltd dontated this capping from the chimney of their cockhedge mills to the borough council to be used as an amenity feature in the town'

There is a photo of the plaque here on flickr (on mywarrington's photostream)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mywarrington/1052901931/

and another of the front of the chimney capping here from the same person

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mywarrington/1052901241/in/photostream/

I would willingly cooperate Dizz, but for goodness sake don't go over the top with your explanation regarding my knowledge of Warrington past, there are many out there that are far more knowledgeable on the towns history and probably on here as well, I have the knack of rooting out information to specific questions and in many ways the photos that I have accumulated over the years help me a great deal, however I am not a historian, just interested in the towns history and the people that have lived here. Also don't let us disrespect the museum and it's staff, yes they could make more information available to the towns public on the web, however I'm sure the staff there are stretched  to breaking point as all other businesses are today.

I'm not being disrespectful to the staff at the museum Algy as I realise they have their daily jobs to do and they are all really nice people and yes I'm sure they are stretched as is funding. 

I was sort of joking about the bit where I suggested you doing write ups as that was going a bit ott and I got carried away but you ARE fantastic and very knowledgeable when it comes to our local history and many people have learned so much from the huge amount of info you have posted on here over the years. 

By 'museum' I mean the facility as a whole and if the staff can't do these things either because they are too busy or there are not enough of them then there would be plenty of willing volunteers (including local history groups) who I'm sure would be more than willing to help. 

For example I presume that most things stored away in the facility Baz mentions has been recorded/catalogued (and have not just been dumped in there... well at least I hope not) and if that is the case they should know what they are and where they came from.  The might even have already taken pictures who knows.

It would not be difficult for photos and a simple short title to be uploaded onto either their website or flickr page so people can see them.  And if it's down to lack of funding well taking digital photo's costs nothing, uploading them costs nothing and they wouldn't need to pay anyone a wage if volunteers did it etc.

I really can't see what the problem is to be honest.