Council garage sites.

theman

Early last year, Warrington Borough Council decided to sell off all their garage sites.

Some of the sites had council garages on them with others having privately owned ones on them. 

Is there anyone online that was a tenant on one of these sites or do you perhaps know of anyone that was?

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks for the reply. 

The first notification I got was on 18th November 2011 that the Council were considering selling the sites.

It was March last year before we heard that the Council were going ahead and that the sites were to be sold by auction, we were never given the option to buy.

On the 1st November 2012 we were notified that the site would be sold at auction on the 20th November 2012.

What happened in your case Cleopatra?

There were plots with privately owned garages on them that were sold at the same auction as mine was sold at.

These were at, Capesthorne Road, Hesketh St North, Hodgkinson Ave and Perrins Road.

I could do with getting in touch with whoever owned these garages to see if they are having the same problems that I am having. 

Funny you  should mention the garage sites Theman as when I came back from taking my snowy pictures the other day I noticed some that were up for auction too not too far from me on my route.

I have never really noticed the 6 garages before although I don't tend to go that way a lot these days but when I saw the sign, garages  and plot of land I wondered if a house might be built on it in the future as it would be a nice spot   ( I even took some photo of then but I wont upoad them as everyone thinks I'm weird as it is )

The sign said up for auction by 'Pugh Auctions'  (that's who the council usually sell their land etc through)  but having just googled and finally found it.... it seems they were actually sold on the 29th too.

Many of the flats and houses near it were/are affordable housing units too so maybe the 6 garages and land were part of that but I will ask around if anyone actually had one or were offered them prior to the auction sale as I know some people who live not far from there.

The link to the auction site and location showing them is here (although like I say it now appears that they have now been SOLD despite the sign nearby not saying as much )

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Manchester/20121129/050

That's as much as I know sorry and I realise none of that is probably any help to you at all.  :oops:

You could always go door knocking around there or stick a poster on the existing 'for sale' sign that's still up asking for info as a lot of local people walk past there every day and I doubt anyone from further afield would have rented them :wink: 

Thanks for that but the garages on that plot were council owned, they went for £25,000 + £1000 commission + VAT.

I would go round knocking on doors but I am off work with a bad back and just moving about the house is hard enough.

Thanks for taking the time to post. 

No probs and I hope your back gets better soon :) Sounds painful !!

Just wondered though as you just said 'those' garages were coucil owned and having read your first post again I guess you meant that others were privately owned but maybe were sat on land which was actually owned by the council and was leased by the private garage owners. (ie the land ownership and subsequent lease terms has now bee sold/revoked)

If that is the case then maybe you need to speak to the 'private person' who owned the garages (but not the leasehold on the land)  and ask what term of lease/sub lease or protection they had in place (if any).

Yeah I know.. you already probably knew that too.... oops :oops:

Yes, that's right. If you go back to the Pugh site and click on all the sites that the Council had up for auction, you can click on any of them and see pictures of the garages on all the sites.

All the council owned garages are built in blocks (all adjoining one another terrace style) whereas the privately owned ones are all individually built.

Mine is a privately owned one but for some reason the buyer is claiming that he has bought the garages as well as the land.

I'm trying to find out if this buyer has bought any of the other privately owned sites and the tenants are having the same problem before I make contact with either the buyer or Council. Safety in numbers.  

I eventually managed to speak to a guy at the Council who confirmed that I only rented the land and that the garages on the site were not Council owned.

When I asked could he contact their solicitor/legal dept to get it sorted, he said basically it was nothing to do with them now and it was my problem, thanks Warrington Borough Council.

So who owned your garage then ?  I guess from what you say you mean someone else must have owned the garage and you rented it off them but didn't realise you were only renting the land and NOT the garage and the land has now been sold !?!

If that is the case then presumaby you had some sort of rental agreement/lease with the owner of the land (and/or garage)  which should have outlined what exactly you were leasing and what the terms were somewhere etc.

All sounds very confusing.