Windows7 start up

Victor

Can one of you boffins please help.  My operating system is Wndows7 and for quite a while I am having difficulty booting up. It starts going through the boot sequence but can stop and re-boot at various times as it is loading.  Sometimes it freezes and all I can do is keep trying until it gets past the logo "loading windows".  It is almost as though it is confused at start up. If I run Start Up Repair I get a list of error messages as follows:

1    6.1.7600.16385

2    6.1.7600.16385

3    Unknown

4    10

5    AuotFailOver

6    1

7    No Root Cause

OS Version  6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID  1033

Once it has loaded up OK it will stay on all day with no problems !!

Eagle, it sounds as if you have one or more programs running at start up, I had a similar problem, I ran "microsoft "Fixit" from the official Microsoft site and it identified that there were three programs doing exactly what your pc is doing. The first link takes you to their site where it gives you a choice of options, the second you download an application (app) and you execute the small program from your computer, I chose the latter, purely a personal choice.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal/Assets/Html/Help/en-US/downloading.html

If this fails to cure the problem it looks as if you have a virus, visit this site (microsoft) for an explanation. Looks as if you may have a virus!.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/corrupt-file-at-startup-can-not-start-up-win-7/b7129bd4-abf5-44e8-b136-9d9bb9a22c60

before making any major changes back up everything you want to save.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but I don't know what computer knowledge you have.

Victor, try loading the last known good configuration.

Re-boot and:-

1. As soon as the computer starts to come back to life, press and hold down F8.

Windows 7 displays a menu of special startup options you can choose.

2. Use the up-arrow and down-arrow keys to move the menu’s highlight to 'Last Known Good Configuration' (Advanced), and then press Enter.

The mouse won’t work at this screen.

See if it starts up ok.

Thanks for your answers. I will give you more information as to what I have tried already

I have tried several times loading up in safe mode and used "last known good configuration". This has worked at the time but is still faulty next time that I boot up. I have also looked in the boot section to ensure that it is booting up in the correct sequence.

I have done full virus scans.

I haven't tried the microsoft site (ref Algy) but I will give that a try. Also it booted up 1st attempt tonight but shut down and rebooted twice whilst on this site.

Obviously, it is now working OK !!!

Thanks for your answers. I will give you more information as to what I have tried already

I have tried several times loading up in safe mode and used "last known good configuration". This has worked at the time but is still faulty next time that I boot up. I have also looked in the boot section to ensure that it is booting up in the correct sequence.

I have done full virus scans.

I haven't tried the microsoft site (ref Algy) but I will give that a try. Also it booted up 1st attempt tonight but shut down and rebooted twice whilst on this site.

Obviously, it is now working OK !!!

I know I am stating the obvious but.....

Have you done a system restore ?

It could well be a hardware fault Victor. If you have done all of the software fixes and the problem is still happening, you may have either an issue with your memory (I know you are old but I didn't mean you personally!) or issues like the CPU running too hot can cause random shut downs and start ups as its failsafes kick in to protect it.

Is the fan on the processor working correctly? Is the base unit sat near a radiator or blocked in on all sides?

Check a few of those issues. If your PC has two sticks of memory, take one out, reboot, accept the bios changes and see it that helps. The PC will run a little slower but if it is stable it may identify a faulty memory stick

Baz

It could well be a hardware fault Victor.

Baz

Tend to agree with Baz (this is becoming a habit).

You could try loading a saved registry backup, or as alg said run Malwarebytes, but you will also need to run a virus checker as Malwarebytes doesn't really check for virus's. Other than that it's a System Repair or a System Restore. 

Tend to agree with Baz (this is becoming a habit).

You could try loading a saved registry backup, or as alg said run Malwarebytes, but you will also need to run a virus checker as Malwarebytes doesn't really check for virus's. Other than that it's a System Repair or a System Restore. 

I know this is getting awful boring but I agree with Wolfie and Baz, Malwarebytes can and does remove some nasties that make your computer do some odd things though.

Victor I must apologise (I seem to be doing this on a regular basis recently) for addressing you as Eagle in an earlier reply on this topic, I would have reacted in the same way if at had been Eagle however. I do hope you cure your problem and that you return your "idiot lantern"  as you call it to perfect working condition, I shall await with baited breath.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm - unfortunately my tools on this site seem to be turned off - not sure why as they work everywhere else on the net. Victor if you cut and paste the address given above and go there it will help you through a repair that might just fix your computer. Good luck.

Mary, I think he has already tried Start Up Repair, as stated in his first post.

The following is a link to error messages very similar to Victors and a load of responses with things to try. I suggest you work your way through them.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/startup-repair-cannot-repair-this-computer/718e1c0c-a907-404e-b48e-700e4e65c248