Lithium-ion batteries?

observer

Lithium is not a stable compound, one of it's nastier traits is that when in contact with water is that it will produce hydrogen, The lithium-water reaction at normal temperatures is brisk but not violent, hydrogen produced will not ignite on its own, however introduce an ignition source such as a naked flame or spark and it ignites immediately.

Charging

• When these batteries are charged too fast or overcharged, they pose greater risks. This accelerates possible failure in the anodes within the cells, or the charger could combust.

Chemical Reaction

• At the core of the lithium battery is its chemical composition that induces high current charges. If for any reason the casing is breached, a chemical burn is highly likely.

Crikey. 

When my other half dropped his phone in the toilet (clean water I hasten to add) maybe it wasn't such a good idea when I took it all apart and sat the battery and other components on a tea towel on the radiator for 2 days.  I wont be doing that again.

I must tell my son too as often he leaves his phone plugged in and on charge all night... is that like overcharging ?

My camera has AA 'Energiser Ultimate Lithium batteries' in it.  Are they the same or does it have to have -ion after it.

Crikey. 

When my other half dropped his phone in the toilet (clean water I hasten to add) maybe it wasn't such a good idea when I took it all apart and sat the battery and other components on a tea towel on the radiator for 2 days.  I wont be doing that again.

I must tell my son too as often he leaves his phone plugged in and on charge all night... is that like overcharging ?

My camera has AA 'Energiser Ultimate Lithium batteries' in it.  Are they the same or does it have to have -ion after it.

Dropping the battery in water won't cause a problem other than dishcharging the battery as long as the case is not damaged as water can't reach the content containing the Lithium also the heat from a radiator is not sufficient to cause any reaction in the battery.

Dizz, there is a risk attached to using any mechanical or electrical device, millions of people leave phone chargers on overnight without any problems. Personaly I don't leave anything on charge overnight but that's possibly due to the job I had years ago.

The "AA'"is the size of the battery, "Energiser" "is the make, "Ultimate" is the type, so yes the batteries in your camera Lithium.

Possibly Bill or Wolfie may have explained this better as I'm not electrically trained, however it's just a matter of common sense.

I'm scared of going out in the rain (or snow) with it now you've said that.  Saying that the battery compartment is covered so I should be ok as long as I don't change the batteries again when I'm out and about in the wet.  :oops:

I'm like you and I never leave anything plugged in over night or when I go out on charge or not.  My son is a muppet !! 

I'm scared of going out in the rain (or snow) with it now you've said that.  Saying that the battery compartment is covered so I should be ok as long as I don't change the batteries again when I'm out and about in the wet.  :oops:

I'm like you and I never leave anything plugged in over night or when I go out on charge or not.  My son is a muppet !! 

Nothing to worry about Dizz, your batteries are sealed units anyway, but you shouldn't be getting your camera wet anyway, delicate equipment!. :blink:

The battery on Mrs Obs lap-top isn't recharging, where's the best place to get it fixed?

There is a Mrs Obs :shock:  :lol:  :P

Blimey maybe we should all club together to buy a new battery for her laptop as long as she promises to join the forum in return and spill the beans on what you are really like :lol:   

New lap-top I guess, in this throw away world - sigh!   Diz, this is cyber space - it ain't real!

Replacement batteries cost between £25 - £40 on the net.  I'm not recommending you purchas from this site, as I have not dealt with them, but it gives you an idea, obs.

http://www.laptop-battery-shop.co.uk/index.php

Probably in trouble with Dizzy for advertising, getting used to her shouting at me anyway!

These types of batteries use a method of charging that's different to a conventional charger and so special circuitry (normally built into the phone or PC) is used to control this.

If you've ever charged a car battery, you'll know that when flat, the charge rate is very high and as it charges, the current slowly decreases to a trickle. A lithium charger on the other hand works more like a toilet cistern in that if fills (charges) at a constant rate then stops completely when full. The batteries also contain a heat sensing element that reduces the charge rate if the battery is either too hot or too cold and this explains why a lot of taxi drivers that use smart phones in their cars often report poor battery life during the summer months.

There's nothing particularly more unsafe with lithium than any other type of battery and the bit about a shock like a stun gun is 100% total nonsense  In theory you can't overcharge them (unless you attempt to make your own charger) and you don't have to run them down low before recharging like the older nickel cadmium types.

Hope that helps put your minds at rest.

Bill :)

Well I finally got it working, thanks to Sid's shop in Horsemarket St.  Seems it needed a new transformer and lead AND a battery. But they can be used without a battery, but a battery is prefered as it absorbs any electrical surge that could damage the computer (or so the bloke said!) Ta Sid!