How involved should we get?

observer

Info only

A list of some rare earth metals, with their usage

Scandium: Added to mercury vapor lamps to make their light look more like sunlight. Also used in certain types of athletic equipment — including aluminum baseball bats, bicycle frames and lacrosse sticks — as well as fuel cells.

Yttrium: Produces color in many TV picture tubes. Also conducts microwaves and acoustic energy, simulates diamond gemstones, and strengthens ceramics, glass, aluminum alloys and magnesium alloys, among other uses.

Lanthanum: One of several rare earths used to make carbon arc lamps, which the film and TV industry use for studio and projector lights. Also found in batteries, cigarette-lighter flints and specialized types of glass, like camera lenses.

Cerium: The most widespread of all rare earth metals. Used in catalytic converters and diesel fuels to reduce vehicles' carbon monoxide emissions. Also used in carbon arc lights, lighter flints, glass polishers and self-cleaning ovens.

Praseodymium: Primarily used as an alloying agent with magnesium to make high-strength metals for aircraft engines. Also may be used as a signal amplifier in fiber-optic cables, and to create the hard glass of welder's goggles.

Neodymium: Mainly used to make powerful neodymium magnets for computer hard disks, wind turbines, hybrid cars, earbud headphones and microphones. Also used to color glass and to make lighter flints and welder's goggles.

Promethium: Does not occur naturally on Earth; must be artificially produced via uranium fission. Added to some kinds of luminous paint and nuclear-powered microbatteries, with potential use in portable X-ray devices.

Samarium: Mixed with cobalt to create a permanent magnet with the highest demagnetization resistance of any known material. Crucial for building "smart" missiles; also used in carbon arc lamps, lighter flints and some types of glass.

Europium: The most reactive of all rare earth metals. Used for decades as a red phosphor in TV sets — and more recently in computer monitors, fluorescent lamps and some types of lasers — but otherwise has few commercial applications.

Gadolinium: Used in some control rods at nuclear power plants. Also used in medical applications such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and industrially to improve the workability of iron, chromium and various other metals.

Terbium: Used in some solid-state technology, from advanced sonar systems to small electronic sensors, as well as fuel cells designed to operate at high temperatures. Also produces laser light and green phosphors in TV tubes.

Dysprosium: Used in some control rods at nuclear power plants. Also used in certain kinds of lasers, high-intensity lighting, and to raise the coercivity of high-powered permanent magnets, such as those found in hybrid vehicles.

Holmium: Has the highest magnetic strength of any known element, making it useful in industrial magnets as well as some nuclear control rods. Also used in solid-state lasers and to help color cubic zirconia and certain types of glass.

Erbium: Used as a photographic filter and as a signal amplifier (aka "doping agent") in fiber-optic cables. Also used in some nuclear control rods, metallic alloys, and to color specialized glass and porcelain in sunglasses and cheap jewelry.

Thulium: The rarest of all naturally occurring rare earth metals. Has few commercial applications, although it is used in some surgical lasers. After being exposed to radiation in nuclear reactors, it's also used in portable X-ray technology.

Ytterbium: Used in some portable X-ray devices, but otherwise has limited commercial uses. Among its specialty applications, it's used in certain types of lasers, stress gauges for earthquakes, and as a doping agent in fiber-optic cables.

Lutetium: Mainly restricted to specialty uses, such as calculating the age of meteorites or performing positron emission tomography (PET) scans. Has also been used as a catalyst for the process of "cracking" petroleum products at oil refineries.

So ,as Obs said, our wars could now be based on our perceived future requirements of minerals for the UK to provide raw materials for our high tech industry. We will soon be in bed with some very strange people. Amazing that the outcome could benefit the elite of society through their involvement with such companies whereas maybe what should be taking place is the drive to make the deserts of the earth sustainable to growing so that all may eat. 

With over 7 billion people living on a shrinking planet, with an insatiable appetite for basics such as food and shelter, plus ever increasing demand for material comforts and the fruits of technological "progress";  as the numbers keep rising, so will demand and one presumes space and resources are finite; thus inevitably conflicts will arise.  Yes, existing resources such as food could be made to go further by eliminating waste and with the aid of genetically modified crops etc;  but IF populations keep rising, so will the demand pressures. China has been the first Country to recognise this and has unilaterally imposed limitations on it's population growth, but whether such an approach can be adopted universally is open to question. Despite man made culls (wars) and natural culls (plagues), population levels continue to rise, mainly due to advances in preventive medicine such as vaccination etc. The key driver for all animals is survival, and when and where resources become scarce in one area, the natural inclination is to migrate.  This wasn't a problem when early man left Africa and began to populate every corner of the world; but now that every corner has now been occupied, such movement becomes a problem. So, in the absence of globally agreed solutions, each Nation State has duty and responsibility to look after it's own interests. Boy Scouts motto - "be prepared".

What a damned stupid thing to say. We have gas and electricity. We have cookers and microwave ovens. We have satellite television. We have HD television. We have 3D Television. We have mobile phones. We have computers. We have laptops. We have cars. We have washing Machines. We have vacuume cleaners. We have air conditioning. We are not exactly living in the dark ages because we are a muslim country.

What a damned stupid thing to say. We have gas and electricity. We have cookers and microwave ovens. We have satellite television. We have HD television. We have 3D Television. We have mobile phones. We have computers. We have laptops. We have cars. We have washing Machines. We have vacuume cleaners. We have air conditioning. We are not exactly living in the dark ages because we are a muslim country.

Indeed... but you live in a country which has only recently been taken over by the muslim leadership you now have.... look at Afghanistan, look at Pakistan, look at Iraq and the likes.... the talibanny type muslims which control or seem to excert pressure on the leaderships there do not stand for attitudes like yours. Women don't have rights like you are used to, technology is not allowed like you enjoy.... women don't drive. Women are seen purely as a means to procreate and look after the men.....

You may poo poo my "damned stupid statement" but I doubt many in hardlime muslim countries would. Most put up with it because they are afraid of the consequences of speaking out.... male or female... look at that 15 year old schoolgirl in Pakistan that dared to say anything... she was targeted by a hitman on a school bus.... dark ages? I stand by every word my dear

So what difference does that make? there are Jews and Christians and agnostics and no doubt devil worshippers too.... they can't all be right can they? Which is where the intolerence of all religions comes to pass..... none of them will tolerate any one elses beliefs and all see the others as a threat to their supremecy.....

but I will ask one question...... if it all kicked off big time in Egypt, would you invoke your right and the rights of your family to come back to the safety of the UK; away from any danger or would you stand and fight for the cause of your religion?

Nature has a way of sorting out overpopulation whether it be animal or humans, if we continue overpopulating the planet there will either be one almighty conflict with each side suffering massive mortalities or some terrible unstoppable virus creating the same situation, it WILL happen mark my words!.

It has often been said that the world is long overdue another "proper" world war to curb the population..... 1st and 2nd world wars did just that... now with all these peace mongers everywhere; the natural order of things has been disrupted!

While it is true that the world's population is increasing, the rate of increase is slowing as more people come out of poverty and begin to enjoy progress and technology. Child mortality is falling and so the need for large families is disappearing. In Western Europe population is only increasing due to immigration as the birth rate has fallen below replacement levels.

Not quite Asp: they've recorded a baby boom recently; possibly due to the immigrants who tend to be more fertile!   Kije: for a person who presumably would be a critic of British Imperialism, you seem to have a gay abandon for "sending in the troops"; but the days of rifles against spears have ended, and even with inferior weapons, local folk are defeating Western interventions, give it more time and they'll eventually have ICBMs etc - doesn't require a lot of moral fibre to press a button!  Think yer right Algy, that's what I'm saying. :cry:

but I will ask one question...... if it all kicked off big time in Egypt, would you invoke your right and the rights of your family to come back to the safety of the UK; away from any danger or would you stand and fight for the cause of your religion?

I'm too bloody old to fight for anythig but I would have no qualms about staying here. Having said that maybe if we could find 6 houses to buy in one street, maybe your street or one close by) we may just upsticks and all come to stay in Warrington. We all have british passports so should be no problem entering en mass.

Do you actually read anybody else's posts before spouting off Obs? I said that the Western Europe population is only increasing because of immigration. To put it simply for you, the only people in Western Europe who are having enough babies to match or beat the death rate are immigrants, not the indigent population.

I'm too bloody old to fight for anythig but I would have no qualms about staying here. Having said that maybe if we could find 6 houses to buy in one street, maybe your street or one close by) we may just upsticks and all come to stay in Warrington. We all have british passports so should be no problem entering en mass.

Wouldn't bother me where you lived to be honest.... I already have a Muslim family who live directly next door to me.... nice enough people, I just find their religion slightly wierd but no doubt they find my Sex Pistols music not to their liking either..... but why would you need six houses? my neighbours have 4 families living in their one extended house :lol:

MANY A TRUE WORD SPOKEN IN JEST

The newly re-elected Barak Obama and David Cameron are shown a time machine which can see 100 years into the future.

They both decide to test it by asking a question each.

Barak goes first.

“What will the USA be like in 100 years time”

The machine whirrs and beeps and goes into action and gives him a printout, he reads it out

"The country is in good hands under the new president, crime is non-existent, there is no conflict, the economy is healthy. There are no worries”

David thinks “Its not bad this time machine, I'll have a bit of that” so he asks

“What will Great Britain be like in 100 years time?”

The machine whirrs and beeps and goes into action, and he gets a printout.

David just stares at it.

“Come on David” says Barak, “What does it say”

Dave replies,

“Buggered if I know ! It's all in Arabic!”

I know! it should be in the joke section, but it's no more off topic than most other replies.

• Upvote 1