How involved should we get?

observer

Kije: doesn't really matter "who rules" where - intelligence networks locate and identify target, satellite surveillance confirms, drone or missile launched - another "leader" vapourised. However, it will no doubt be more expensive in financial terms, but less so in terms of our young squaddies.

Looks like Egypt might be the next country to implode.... Seems a lot of the locals are at odds with the Muslim president and he is trying the tried and tested Hosni Mubarak way of killing his own people but disguising it as crowd control! !!

No more Sharm for me!!

:lol: .  Of course we have to have good intelligence networks, plus global collaberation between national security agencies Kije. As for blowing up "innocents", not sure they can yet target a person in the bathroom of a house with a drone/missile, the whole house goes and it's called collateral damage (oops). As for the "boots on the ground" alternative Kije; that doesn't appear to have been a success in Afghanistan after ten years and over 400 dead squaddies and even more permanently maimed - and now we're getting sucked into yet another similar scenario in Mali.  When something ain't working in war, you try a new tactic; NOT throw more and more lives at the problem like some WW1 General. :x

• Upvote 1

What are you talking about? Port Said?

Well according to Reuters and CNN, there have been demonstrations, killings and violence in

Port Said

Alexandria

Cairo

Suez

Ismailia

up to now and Morsy calling the demonstrators "Criminals" is exactly what Mubarak said before he started killing people with his supporters. Declaring curfews in 3 cities will not calm his opponents; just as it did not stop Morseys lot when they toppled Mubarek. You can't run a revolution promising change for the better and then try and force the people to accept even more draconian laws than they had before.....

I read that the violence; particularly in Port Said stems from grievences held for over 60 years but people jump onto band wagons and bring other agendas to the table.

• Upvote 1

Well.... The violence actually stems from a football match in Port Said between their local team and Cairo's team in February last year when riots broke out and 74 people were killed and about 1,000 others injured.

We were actually at a show in Cairo at the time and when the show ended and we came out some men ran towards us and told us what had happened.

Last week 21 people were sentenced to death for their part in the killings at the Port Said stadium. In all 74 people were arrested during the riot in Port Said Stadium. The rest of those arrested are yet to be tried and sentenced.The sentences sparked further riots outside the jail in Port Said when 30 more people were killed, including 2 police officers and 2 football players, and 200 more injured, with further riots in various parts of the country, leaving a total of 38 people dead.  The riots started after relatives of the condemned prisoners tried to storm the jail where they were being held and rifle shots were heard from among the rioters.

Now tell me, please, what is President Morsi supposed to do.... sit back and let them all kill each other?

Of course he isn't going to sit back and do nothing.... he is going to defend his position and that of his ruling party.... just as Mubarak did and was ousted and tried for it.

The difference is that Morsey came to office on the promise of change and spelled out what he was going to do. The first thing he tried to do after being elected was to get rid of the judiciary and grant himself all sorts of "God like" powers which the people don't take kindly to..... Now if the catalyst at the moment is a football match, imagine what will happen when something really bad happens!!

• Upvote 1

Of course he isn't going to sit back and do nothing.... he is going to defend his position and that of his ruling party.... just as Mubarak did and was ousted and tried for it.

The difference is that Morsey came to office on the promise of change and spelled out what he was going to do. The first thing he tried to do after being elected was to get rid of the judiciary and grant himself all sorts of "God like" powers which the people don't take kindly to..... Now if the catalyst at the moment is a football match, imagine what will happen when something really bad happens!!

Believe as you wish. What you believe won't change anything anyway.

Believe as you wish. What you believe won't change anything anyway.

Cleo, that is true about most subjects discussed on here, but if we didn't have people with strong opinions such as Obs, Lt, Baz, and one or two others this forum would die, as although I feel quite emotive regarding many political subjects posted I tend not to get involved for the very reason that you have stated. Just my opinion though, for what it is worth. :|

Aye but some people argue just for the sake of arguing, even when they have been proved wrong and know they have, and that just gets right up my nose.

I agree entirely  and I know where your coming from, I love a bit of banter Cleo, but I'm afraid I can't stand scarcasm, I was always taught by my father that it was the lowest form of wit and unfortunately it can sometimes raise it's head on here, thats when I become bored and back off. Writing confrontion is far easier and requires no courage whatsoever, than face to face confrontation and some folk revel in the former, I'm afraid I find it quite boring!.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cleo.... you like to criticise the UK at every opportunity, the weather, the economy, the riots a few years back...etc...etc.... but whenever anyone on here brings up the issue of Egypt not quite being the land of milk and honey you would have us believe, you get all defensive.... just saying like!

Cleo.... you like to criticise the UK at every opportunity, the weather, the economy, the riots a few years back...etc...etc.... but whenever anyone on here brings up the issue of Egypt not quite being the land of milk and honey you would have us believe, you get all defensive.... just saying like!

It's not fair....! You won't let me win.... I'm not playing with you now.... I'm going home and I'm taking my ball with me....!