How involved should we get?

observer

Just as someone who believes in chritianity is a christian, someone who believes in islam is a muslim. So, to answer your quetion, no there is not a fundamental difference. Just that some people prefer to use the term muslim and other islamist. No difference at all.

I was asking Cleo because lately ,on news reports Islamic has been the description of choice of reporters & i was curious as to why  muslims had suddenly become  Islamic .

Kije, the bad news is, it's not "tommorow" it's now; due to your liberal luvvie mates letting them all in. As for Africa, we can either carry on funding tin pot dictators, who salt away the cash and abuse their people, and just hope they're strong enough (with our military training & equipment) to maintain secular stability OR we can support radical groups in a forlorn hope, that they will adopt western values of democracy rather than anachronistic notions of theocracy.

Cleo, don't throw stones when you live in a glass house, just look at Egypt, The West has not got everything right, and to be honest they have got quite a lot wrong, but when you compare the West to the rest, we got it more right than the rest.

As an atheist I do not like any religion, but at the moment it is only Muslims that are either killing each other or as with the militants in Mali, inflicting their version of Islam on people that do not want it. If nothing is done eventually they will reach an African Country that has a lot of natural resources that the West needs and if that happens the West will have no choice but to go in, And it won't be with drones it will be with heavy boots on the ground, They simply will not have a choice.

Drones cannot protect Iron Ore, Copper and Diamonds ect all of which the West needs, better to try to contain or stop it now, while their is still a chance of keeping the boots on the ground in relitivly low numbers.

• Upvote 1

As throughout history, the west goes in and takes whatever it wants by force, Nuff said! Well hey! the east is catching up with the weapons and the west will find it increasingly more difficult to impose themselves.

A rather biased comment Cleo.

Are you condoning what happens?  ANY person should have a choice, it should NOT be forced on them.

Just like people who want to live in the UK or Australia or any Western country, they should abide by the rules and laws of that country, NOT change it because they don't like it.

• Upvote 1

No I am not condoning anything. But these bloody know it alls who think they know everything about a country on the other side of the world when they don't really know all about what is going on in their own country get right up my nose. Once and for all nobody is forced to become muslim. They are either born into it in which case it's a way of life or it's a personal decision to become muslim. So I really do wish they would stop all this they are forced to become muslim. If such was the case there would be no christian religion etc., permitted in these muslim countries. People do have a choice.

Kije, for a toga wearing, turn the other cheek liberal; you seem quite ready to send our boys (& girls) in uniform, off to do the dirty work.  Counter terrorism is primarily a function of our intelligence services; the illimination of these small groups of fanatics can be achieved without "boots on the ground"; as the Yanks are currently proving in  W/Pakistan. Control and stability will only be provided by strong secular leadership locally with the trained military and intelligence infrastructure to suppress radical activities.

Gao was liberated today, The women their were forced to where Hedjabs and forced to stay indoors, Alchol banned. And in Timbuktu they have Destroyed libraries and World heritage sites ( non Muslim ones).

Obs

West Pakistan is not under control of even Pakistan, that's how good drones are, every so often they have a success, but as to keeping a lid on it no it is not working, Boots will only go heavily on the ground when the Islamists start to threaten Western interests, Copper and other Metal ores that the West needs, and you cannot defend those kind of interests with drones. I'm not being blood thirsty, just being realistic. Just take a look at what happened when oil was threatened. It's just capitalism, not very nice but their you go!!!

I cannot take the blame Cleo, for what they are doing in your religions name, It remains a fact that they are trying to convert people. Your denial does not change that fact. As to your last post capitalism has always been about exploitation, I am not saying I agree with it, I was just saying what the West would do.

Sure you'll have a spare pair of sandals big bird?!  :lol:  Kije: The CIA has been successfully eliminating the Al Queda and affiliates leadership in W/Pakistan for some time now, and the only "boots on the ground" were special forces (SEALS), used in a specific operation to take out Bin Laden. These kind of operations require the intelligent use of the scalpel not the sledgehammer.

Apparently we are now going to send 350 troops to Mali in a training role to train the locals for when the French have completed their mission. With an enemy that disappear & reappear at the drop of a hat  the scenario is beginning to look all too familiar & we could be in for another long haul as with other terror based conflicts.