How involved should we get?

observer

We should take every opportunity we can to help to wipe out these religious crackpots and that includes those that live here on benefits too....

The only issue I have is helping the French with sending transport planes etc..... would they help us out if we had to have another go at the Argie scum or would they do like last time and supply them with planes and rockets to fire at our troops and ships?

Never trust the French!

• Upvote 1

What annoys me is that the majority of these people go abroad to these hot spots chasing the 'big bucks' and when something goes wrong the taxpayer has to foot the bill when our military have to risk their lives in attempting to get them out of trouble, Ok, in this instance we don't appear to be sending troops in but there's still the cost of providing transport aircraft to the French. I say if they want to reap the rewards, let the greedy sods stew in their own juices. :evil:

Having watched several episodes of future weapons it makes me wonder how difficult it can be to sort out this kind of attack. There are devices that can be used remotely for surveillance non lethal alternatives to weapons,pilotless attack planes and helicopters and any number of other bits of kit that is available for dealing swiftly with such situations. But in the end it still comes down to boots on the ground.

The governments all take the stance that there will be no negotiations with terrorists but then they will argue about what to do about the situation as they don't want to get too involved due to reprisals a situation brought about these days with ease of access to global media coverage and possibly a bit of paranoia on what the world will think of our actions. A case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Believe within a day of this incident, the area was overflown by a US drone; it seems the technology is available to take out terrorists WITHOUT risking a single "boot on the ground". However, no doubt our special forces will now be there to advise. The only way to deal with this type of threat is to eliminate the terrorists as and when located, regardless of the risk to hostages - if the message goes out, that such action WILL end in certain death, even the candidates for heaven and the 40 virgins may think twice.

I think we may have to consider if a country wants to be involved in another country's politics. If for instance a country wants to justify its involvement in trouble abroad i am sure it is easier to do if you can show your citizens a few of the atrocities that these people have committed towards your fellow man than to show your electorate a few downed missiles & drone aircraft. On the other hand the west cannot be far off being able to conduct a completely clinical war if it wants to.

Strange how Dave has gone into Bliar mode over this; building up the threat level etc and trying to appear a statesman; prior to getting out the toy box no doubt.  However, perhaps he should be wondering where these terrorists got their guns from and who's funding them. Couldn't be an allied oil rich State, whom we regularly try to sell military equipment to, could it?

These terrorists do always seem to have a good choice of weapons , maybe a bit old but useable just the same. I wonder will French involvement lead to a Euro force being sent in if the trouble escalates. We could see a batallion of Italian tanks deployed... the ones with one forward & 25 reverse gears !