Do you have a photocard Driving Licence?

Geoffrey Settle

If you do have one it needs to be renewed every 10 years because if you are driving and it's expired then you could face a fine up to £1,000 - so for an investment of £20 you save £980  :P  fortunately my paper moth eaten one lasts for 46 years :mrgreen:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2081666/Driving-licence-trap-1-6m-drivers-risk-hefty-fine-renewing-photograph-20-cost.html

I saw the news about this today too Geoff.

I've still got a paper one that I got when I was 18 but my other half has the plastic type (his had to be updated some years back when he got his speeding tickets... 35mph :oops: )

Neither of us were aware that his required renewing though as to be honest we've never looked at it that closely but thankfuly it seems there's another couple of years left on it PHEW so he is still legal.

It also mentioned that paper licences were to be phased out by 2015 all together so I though that meant I'd have to upgrade mine too now but having just googled I think it means the paper suppliment to the new style photo licence will be phased out and not the type you, Asp and I have.

Is that right ?  Any idea ?

Re having to renew the photo licence every 10 years though........ well it does make sense I suppose as people's appearances do change and photo driving licences can be used as proof of identity for internal flights and a whole host of other things so a good resemblance on your mug shot image to your actual face would stop any confusion.  Passports have to be renewed so why not driving licences?

Putting it into persepctive though WavyD .... £20 every 10 years only works out at at £2 a year and that's less than one pint of lager in a pub or 3 tins of soup (on offer at the moment in the local shop) :lol:  

The paper licence has the validity date on it so it would be difficult for the authorities to justify cancelling it. However if you were to change your address or your name you would end up with the plastic one.

Asp - Yet another good reason not to leave Warrington or move house :mrgreen:

Dizzy why did he have to change to plastic just because of a speeding fine - the paper ones are great for writing the detail on - how can you write on plastic? :cry:

Our photo card system is almost the same as the american system. as ours is a national license it covers you anywhere in the uk and is valid for ten years. after that time the license document needs to be renewed to update your photograph. the fee for renewal is £20.00 plus the cost of getting your photograph notarised by an appropriate person eg your doctor,local mp or actually any person working in a government position who can be classed loosely as a "Civil Servant" and has known you for the required number of years. the cost of this notarisation does vary depending on who you know.

So if you happen to be chummy with somebody in the council offices then they may be able to do it for you free of charge (When I was employed at darsebury lab I signed quite a few photos for passports or driving licenses as I was classed as a Civil Servant despite being an oik from bewsey)

once you have your signed photo all you do is fill in the appropriate form and send it off to the dvla? for renewal. you do not need to retake your test or anything else. you do have to inform them of any medical conditions that may affect your driving but they do not insist that you take a medical or anything else to prove you are fit to drive as far as I am aware. (not sure if after a certain age if they do or not haven't checked the requirements but if I am wrong I am sure that somebody on here will know)

So for all of you "civil Servants" who fancy making the odd tenner here and there, get your pens out and get signing. (I would like to say that I never charged any fee for the signing of photographs for passports or driving licenses.) HONEST GUV :ph34r:

Just when we thought we were getting a grip - along come a new style licence on 19th January 2013 :P

Here is the current format

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/need-a-new-or-updated-licence/the-photocard-driving-licence-explained.htm

and here is the 19th Jan onwards

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/changes-to-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january-2013/the-new-driving-licence-card-design-explained.htm

Couldn't spot the who can sign the photo though - may be you can :arrow:

Just when we thought we were getting a grip - along come a new style licence on 19th January 2013 :P

Here is the current format

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/need-a-new-or-updated-licence/the-photocard-driving-licence-explained.htm

and here is the 19th Jan onwards

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/motoring/driver-licensing/changes-to-driving-licence-rules-from-19-january-2013/the-new-driving-licence-card-design-explained.htm

Couldn't spot the who can sign the photo though - may be you can :arrow:

Geoff those two links are for Northern Ireland government/business (ie nidirect website).  Thought it was odd where it mentioned the colour of the counterpart paper licence changing to green as they are already green over here. :wink:

You need to be looking on the UK Dft/dvla website here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/drivers.aspx

According to the bumph that you get with your photocard licence (INS57P), they are valid for up to ten years.This is to keep your picture up to date.

They will semd you a reminder.

However, after the age of 70, you will have to update your photo once only.This will be when you have to renew your licence, and again they will send a reminder.

• 4 years later...

Hi Pete - is that the age when you have all the lines on your face that you are going to get :) I raised this topic 4 years ago and last year I had to use it for a security check. When I took it out of it's plastic wallet it was in bits but I stuck it back together and it passed the test, good old stick tape :ph34r:  

Aww, I feel sad now having seen this topic pop up after almost 4 years especially with the last comment before yours Geoff (and the one you were replying to) being from Peter T in 2013  :(  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I guess from your reply that you aren't aware that lovely Peter T sadly passed away in April last year :(

I never actually met Peter in person Geoff although we did obviously chat on the forum, via private message and I also spoke to him over the phone a few times.  Such a nice bloke and I so wish I'd met him in person if only to tease him more than I did online ha ha.  Like you say gone but never forgotten  Nice to read back on posts he made though over the years and it's like he's still here...maybe he is in spirit...eek I'd best be careful :wink::D

:( just joined the forum after leaving Warrington about 10 years ago, I was a member of the old  forum, just been catching up with the goings on and found this sad news :( RIP Peter T, I had no idea I haven't seen him since the beer fest or the time Mary was over and we played bowls in latchford, anyone know how his wife Jane is? Is Mary still here? And Brenda ? 

Anthony