Tweeting Local Police

Geoffrey Settle

I've just discovered the twitter service that the local police are using.

I tried it on Sunday and got a response back in a time appropriate for the query.

There is some useful info posted about what is going on, has anyone else tried it yet?

No Geoff, not being a twitterer or tweeter or whatever they are called, could you upload the link please.

Hi Algy - you will have to sign up for Twitter first via this link https://twitter.com/ and then link to your local police mine is https://twitter.com/WarrEastNPU you can alway use the search facility.

Thanks Geoff, I don't think I shall bother, I signed up for 'Facebook' and had only been on a few days when I received an email from a 34 year old coloured American lady wanting to be me friend, Mrs Algy was not impressed, so I quickly deactivated my account with Mrs A checking over my shoulder. I dont know about gaining a new friend I nearly lost an old one!. :unsure:

I'm not a twitterer either and although I have a facebook account I rarely use it as it's boring and I don't want to know who's had coffee where and when or how many plates they dropped, what time the kids got up or anything as boring. I've had some foreigners wanting to be my 'friend' too Algy and they always say 'Hi.... is that really you....'. No it's not :lol:

Is twitter like that too Geoff as if it is I won't be joining either I'm afraid if it is.

Is this the modern method of shouting for a Policeman?  EG: woman getting robbed in street, shouts "help - police"; no foot patrols to hear her and respond and the one's in pandas can't hear her; public turn the other way - can't risk getting sued by the robber can we?!  So, assuming she still has her cell phone, she "tweets" the police - is that how it works?!

Is this the modern method of shouting for a Policeman?  EG: woman getting robbed in street, shouts "help - police"; no foot patrols to hear her and respond and the one's in pandas can't hear her; public turn the other way - can't risk getting sued by the robber can we?!  So, assuming she still has her cell phone, she "tweets" the police - is that how it works?!

No Obs it is more like iCAN where you can receive information about what is going on in your area and even ask questions - it does not replace 999 or 101.

As for Social media - yes it does have it's down side but can be useful....... if in doubt don't accept offers or invites from strangers ... you can block them if you have accidently invited them and Facebook for example has improved your ability to make your site secure - it depends how you use it like most things - but as always there are loads of scams eveywhere especially on email etc so always air on the side of caution.

I'm sure if you ask your son's and dughters, nices and nephews et al they will help us oldies and offer help and advice after all they take to it no problem.

Yes Geoff. Very useful. Updates from local police, Motorways, NHS and all sorts of useful stuff. But as with FB, you only need to be in contact with those that you want to be.

On FB, if someone contacts you just say no, if that is what you want. My wife is on FB and only has a few local people who she knows as friends.

Twitter is strictly for the birds !

But not the Magpies - they steal all sorts of things.

Agree Peter - I only have 3 on my personal Facebook for that reason, but I have others like the WNCF which are open forall and currently have 125 members  and very useful it is proving - I have only had to bar one person for obsenity and that was a rougue troll. :twisted:

Yes Geoff. Very useful. Updates from local police, Motorways, NHS and all sorts of useful stuff. But as with FB, you only need to be in contact with those that you want to be.

On FB, if someone contacts you just say no, if that is what you want. My wife is on FB and only has a few local people who she knows as friends.

Peter you have your own hotline to Warrington South police

The twitter account is a great way to be kept up to date as to what is going on at your local station however just for Observer I would suggest ringing 101 or 999 still if an emergency if you see anything you mentioned

I know you are only joking however when the police do something like the twitter account you still find people to make a negative comment about it