Sankey valley maze???

Pete76

No idea myself and where is the maze ?   I'm sure others on here might know though.

I went to Sankey Valley Park not long ago for the first time to take some autumn pics on a Sunday afternoon and to be honest I found it a bit scarey and felt very uneasy being there on my own. 

It wasn't what I expected it to be like at all. 

The Maze is adjacent to Bewsey Old Hall, the area going toward Gulivers. I saw the maze when it was first planted back in my BMX adventure hey days. Took my kids there to use it and it's all ruined. Also the whole area is just being run down by the council for the last 10 years. Such a shame for me living in Westbrook/whittle area.

Welcome to the Forum.

It could be due to the "new development" of bewsey old hall. If I bump into any of the rangers whilst out and about in the area will ask them. Probably just a lack of funding/interest.

Actually went round the maze not long after it was planted. might even have a picture of the white lady statue somewhere. Not been that far down the park for a long time, used to go regularly when the dog was a bit younger but poor thing now too old for such a trek.

My grandson is obsessed with mazes so we took him to Speek Hall yesterday where they’ve built a new one but sadly it was closed for the winter. While looking at the newly planted maze there, I did wonder about the cost of maintaining something like that year on year. Then later, we were standing looking at the formal rose garden layout and couldn’t help thinking that a much cheaper option that the kids would love just as much could have been made by just having the paths. No maintenance and the kids can’t get stuck!

Bill :)

I don't remember actually seeing the statue of the White Lady and I've lived locally since 1982. My kids and G Kids have played their occasionally but it has always  been rather derelict and has been an after dark attraction for ner'do wells and is not really worth a visit these days.  The site will soon be over shadowed by the  three story block of appartments soon to be constructed as part of the  enabling development of the Old Hall.

Many years ago one of the rangers set up a friends of bewsey old hall at the ranger hut adjacent to the hall. He used to run tours of the hall, which is how I got most of my inside pictures of the hall, they were very interesting tours as well.

Probably won't be anything done about it even if they managed to get rid of all the smackheads who habituate the park areas to get their supplies.

Plus apathy is the norm these days especially when it comes to spending money on an "underused" facility.

May have to have a wander down that way one of these days and see what that end of the park looks like.

I haven't seen it yet but would people want to see if anything can be done about the situation - is there a Friends of Sankey Valley Park - seems a shame to have a facility that is not being used - could Gullivers world offer sponsorship?

It's a pretty naff maze anyway but to suggest that Gullivers should be asked  to offer sponsorship is a poor  idea.  They should not be encouraged to participate as I think if they had their way they would like to control all of the surviving park as a pay for entry commercial venture ( reference the Sankey Valley Master Plan ) which was cancelled/postponed after the Labour got control of WBC

The less GW has to do with anything further in the park the better.. .

• Upvote 1

Is Lady Isabella (the missing statue) known as the ghost?

If my memory is not playing me amiss then Yes. Like I said the tours around the hall were very interesting with the warden going into great and gory detail of the events that caused her to haunt the place. he even claimed to have seen her on numerous occasions when he was securing the place at night. As a youngster growing up in the area it was always the dare to see how far up the drive you could walk before you chickened out, think fifteen feet was the record set by me but one or two of the "older" boys went a bit further. Was even scarier when it got dark as even the slightest wind would make the trees sway and the imagination run riot. :unsure: