Nostalgic thoughts

harry hayes

Just wondered about NY eve.  How do the public celebrate it now in town.

I used to love Silcock's fair on the potato market.  Kisses all round at midnight.  The celebration years later moved to Market Gate and the Christmas tree.  Policed that many times.  Mr Palfrey, the Chief Constable used to emerge, worse for wear, from the HQ officers mess and wish everyone a happy new year - he invariably got the year wrong.

With Market Gate in mind, I used to love the newspapers sellers - some real characters among them.

Happy days

King George's new years message pre - war.  (Minnie Haskins words).

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year "give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown".

He replied, "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God.  That shall be to you, better than light and safer than a known way".

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, "Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown"
He replied, "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you, better than light and safer than a known way".

Wonderful words Harry lad.

The public in 'town' now celebrate it with the sole intention of getting rather 'bladdered' Harry.  Probably the same in all past years though.

I use to love New Years Eve and I remember that xmas was always for us 'kids' and then mum and dad used to have a party every New Years Eve and all the neighbours in the street were invited.  Mum always said that the New Year party was 'grown up time' but all us kids were allowed to go too regardless and it was always a great night and a right old socal occasion.  I really miss all that.

I know I'm quite a bit younger than you Harry but even in my younger days xmas and new year seemed to be much more of a neighbourhood/social occasion when people used to do things together with a great community spirit.  Bonfire night was the same too with everyone joining in on the nearby field.

Saying that maybe others didn't do that sort of thing everywhere else and I just grew up in a wacky friendly street with great people who all got on and loved to have fun.

Ahhh I'm reminiscing again now and loving every minute when I think back on the things I'd forgotten about but as well as the smile to my face it's bringing some tears to my eyes too :cry:

Very 'Happy Days' though and thanks for reminding me of them x x

Happy New Year Harry  

Where was the potato market Harry? 

My childhood memories of New Year are kind of similar to yours Dizzy, it was always a local/neighbourhood/family thing. Have you noticed how no-one seems to first foot anymore? I always remember neighbours coming over carrying something random like a candle in place of coal (we were all centrally heated!) Failing that, one of the men of the family would be sent out of the back door to come in again through the front. 

As a teen I spent (mis-spent?!) most NYEs in the upstairs bar of the Lion on Bridge St, many fond memories there!

These days I can't really be bothered with it, the children are allowed to stay up but they're still a bit small and struggle to stay awake - as do I if I'm honest! Although i did enjoy The Hives in top hats and tails on Jools Holland. 

Thanks for the replies.  Make very nice reading.  If I said the potato market was by the old fire station, I would perhaps be showing my age again.

It was near the back of the old market, close. to Heathside school, and was it the Old Blue Back pub on the corner of Allen or  rolleston street..  It was a recessed piece of land and Silcock's fair slotted in there beautifully.

Sure someone will describe the location in more modern terms, but i never go that way these days.

Happy days

Thanks for the replies.  Make very nice reading.  If I said the potato market was by the old fire station, I would perhaps be showing my age again.

It was near the back of the old market, close. to Heathside school, and was it the Old Blue Back pub on the corner of Allen or  rolleston street..  It was a recessed piece of land and Silcock's fair slotted in there beautifully.

Sure someone will describe the location in more modern terms, but i never go that way these days.

Happy days

Wasn't there a firestation there as well and a small white pub called The Rose and Crown ?

I was only very young then but remember going past on a bus that was heading towards Central Station.

Or is old age playing havoc with my memory   :|  ?

Below is a 1928 aerial view of the town centre showing the Potato Market the Blue Back Inn and the fire station, the waste ground to the left of the Fire Station is where Silcocks used to hold the fair. The railway line runs toward Central Station which gives you some sense of direction. Not brilliant but all I could find.

ScreenShot006_zps31f8184d.jpg